Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Searched and did not find any info.
Edit: Found this THREAD after posting this. Sorry! No-one responded to the poor fella though. Not expecting much of any responses here now.

Has anyone done this on the 10th generation and have been keeping quiet about it? From the diagram below, it seems like it'd be simple enough. I'll be taking a look at it tomorrow if I can get down there too it. I honestly can't see the throttle body freezing up on a turbocharged model. You'd have to be driving in subzero weather with a Mishimoto intercooler :lol:. It can' t hurt to ask so........

Honda Civic 10th gen Throttle Body Coolant Bypass 3022947
Sponsored

Donk232

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 civic si-sold, 1999 crv-sold, 2014 crv, 2017 civic si
Country flag
I'm bringing this back from the dead. Op did you try this? Has anyone?

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm bringing this back from the dead. Op did you try this? Has anyone?
I honestly forgot all about it. Thanks for reminding me. I wouldn't do this in my Honda Fit because the intake air temps were freezing in the winter and I didn't want my throttle body to freeze in the open position. Not good! No problem on these cars since they are turbocharged and the air is always hot (at least warm anyway), from the compressed post turbo air. This should help in heavy traffic during the hot summer months.

Darky

First Name
Darcy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I've done this in the past 3 si's I've owned. Including this one. Never had an issue.

Donk232

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How did you do it? Is there any performance benefit? Thanks.
my coolant temps are 170+ and my IAT temps are anywhere from 20-70* lower running the hot coolant through the TB is meant for colder climates to help the car run properly. Removing the heat source should keep the TB a little cooler with a plastic IM. Idk about the how, hopefully someone will chime in with a size of the fitting to connect the coolant lines

Darky

First Name
Darcy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I'd have to look under the hood to remember what exactally I did. But I didnt need any parts at all. Literally replummed the lines, bypassing the TB. Used the extra coolant line to cap the TB input and output ports. And the above post is why I did it. Just a simple mod to keep iats a but cooler.

Donk232

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just looked and I see what you mean. I can just loop the TB with one rubber line and loop the coolant in/out back into the main loop. No fittings no clamps 100% free mod.
Only it's 102* outside and everything under the hood is burning me

Darky

First Name
Darcy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
You got er. Just dont kink the lines when u loop them back. Prolly wouldnt even matter if u did but it'd be easier on them long term.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just looked and I see what you mean. I can just loop the TB with one rubber line and loop the coolant in/out back into the main loop. No fittings no clamps 100% free mod.
Only it's 102* outside and everything under the hood is burning me
I was trying to find an old post I did this on my Honda Fit with to include pics but haven't been able too. All you have to do is remove both the inlet and outlet hose and connect them both to a straight fitting. Just plug them into it and be good. I had the name and part number for the piece you'd use but can't find it now. It's a simple piece though that you can find in an auto store or parts store.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
I was trying to find an old post I did this on my Honda Fit with to include pics but haven't been able too. All you have to do is remove both the inlet and outlet hose and connect them both to a straight fitting. Just plug them into it and be good. I had the name and part number for the piece you'd use but can't find it now. It's a simple piece though that you can find in an auto store or parts store.
Following. Myx. Please let us know how worthwhile you think this is. I trust your judgement.

If you think it is ill collect data on it.... otherwise I don't want to mess with it.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Following. Myx. Please let us know how worthwhile you think this is. I trust your judgement.
If you think it is ill collect data on it.... otherwise I don't want to mess with it.
Here's my take on this. You can go by simple before and after results and say WHOA! Like here....
WS6 Coolant Bypass Dyno Results

Or you can go by what someone calculated as to what you can expect. Like here
Why not to do a throttle body coolant bypass

In general, I'd say it's not worth it.

The amount of work being put into it may not get the results you are looking for. I hate saying 'may' or 'I believe'. I rather have raw data that shows the results. Since I'm obsessive, I can tell you that I'm going to do it at some point. I mean, it can't hurt anything that we know of, right? It can only help with lowering temps. Had I remembered this mod, I would've had my mechanic do it when installing the new intercooler hoses.

What I can tell you from doing this on my 2015 Honda Fit is that while sitting idle, I could see my intake temperature keep going up by +2F every 30-45 seconds or so, with the coolant lines connected. Disconnected, my intake temps would take much longer to move up and it did it by 1F increments. Nothing mattered though once the car started moving. Only when sitting at idle for a while. So, with that, it's not worth it.

Take everything I said above with a grain of salt. All my old videos I recorded on Torque Pro were on my hard drive that crashed. Almost 200 videos with different types of tests. Ugghh! So this is just hearsay.

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bringing back an old thread. I don’t know why I didn’t do this sooner... it was so easy, took 5 minutes. After bypass definitely noticed a little more pep like 5-7whp. That throttle body is a lot cooler and no longer heats up the air as it passes. Too bad the temp sensor is located in the maf housing and not the IM like the ctr. Would be reading the exact temp before touching the cylinders. I’d probably undo bypass and install a valve inline with a hose to switch between sub freezing temps.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bringing back an old thread. I don’t know why I didn’t do this sooner... it was so easy, took 5 minutes. After bypass definitely noticed a little more pep like 5-7whp. That throttle body is a lot cooler and no longer heats up the air as it passes. Too bad the temp sensor is located in the maf housing and not the IM like the ctr. Would be reading the exact temp before touching the cylinders. I’d probably undo bypass and install a valve inline with a hose to switch between sub freezing temps.
Do the CTR folks notice a difference by doing this modification? If so, how much of a difference did they notice temperature wise? Just curious!

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Do the CTR folks notice a difference by doing this modification? If so, how much of a difference did they notice temperature wise? Just curious!
I'm anxiously waiting to do this next time I have time. My ait slowly heats up to 20 over ambient no matter what I do. I really believe it's the throttle body coolant heating it up
Sponsored