Threads
Reaction score
Website
200sx.kicks-ass.net
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2017, Volvo V70
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m getting ready to receive my new downpipe and have read that the bolts to the turbo often break when taking of the downpipe. Does anyone know the thread size and length etc so that I can prep and get these in ss316 or other stronger material as a preparation if I do break them?
Sponsored

TheShadow

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK8 Type R #00561, 2012 Civic Si, 2000 Civic CX Hatchback
Country flag
Use plenty of penetrating liquid (PB Blaster or similar) and let it soak in. That coupled with nice even pressure on a breaker bar should not lead to broken bolts. Just don't jerk on the socket wrench when removing them. These cars are all very new and should come apart pretty nicely. I just did my downpipe 2 days ago with no issues. Check out this guide if you want more info on what to expect.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/rv6-performance-downpipe-instillation-guide.26535/

CWCTR2018

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Does the down pipe really increase hp to a noticible difference , ?

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
if you break the studs... there's no way of getting them out unless you drill them out

if the nut starts to get tight after loosen it. re tighten the nut and respray some lube on it

Brakes88

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 TYP SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does anyone know where exactly to get these kid of bolts ? or part number from honda ?
I am also doing the same search attempting downpile installation and only woth triple nut wod the oem stud clme loose. But now the first nut is fucked on there.
I used pb blaster and then kroil. It sat for hours and now I'm stuck trying to clme up with an alternative slni can finish the installation before my weekend is over..

Fuck. Me. These 3 studs can't be that expensive.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Does anyone know where exactly to get these kid of bolts ? or part number from honda ?
Your nearest city will have at least an industrial supply company (like McMaster-Carr) or an industrial nut & bolt company. They are geared for industrial sales to companies that make stuff, but they will have or can order any size bolt. You just need to know what you need.

Of course, something like Rock Auto or Amazon or your local auto parts store might have them as well.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
here is a method that worked well removing the DP studs and nuts, if interested:

Downpipe stud and nut removal

Ran into problem trying to unthread the upper rear stud, but recovered

Definitely advise new hardware, unless a stud gets stuck in place.

The upper rear stud on the turbo housing seemed to be the most problematic. Think I could’ve gotten it, if heated it a little longer.

I am also doing the same search attempting downpile installation and only woth triple nut wod the oem stud clme loose. But now the first nut is fucked on there.
I used pb blaster and then kroil. It sat for hours and now I'm stuck trying to clme up with an alternative slni can finish the installation before my weekend is over..

Fuck. Me. These 3 studs can't be that expensive.

Last edited:

Brakes88

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 TYP SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
here is a method that worked well removing the DP studs and nuts, if interested:

Downpipe stud and nut removal

Ran into problem trying to unthread the upper rear stud, but recovered

Definitely advise new hardware, unless a stud gets stuck in place.

The upper rear stud on the turbo housing seemed to be the most problematic. Think I could’ve gotten it, if heated it a little longer.
Went out this morning after soaking it in Kroil before going in flr the night! Got the other 2 off with no issues! God damn I love Kroil! I messed up the forst one so ill be on the hunt today trying to find a replacement!

Thank you for the links im sure ill be back referencing them in the future before I attempt future turbo install.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey nice job! Kroil is the absolute best :)

Suggest applying High temp anti-seize to your new hardware, in case it ever needs to come back off in the future.

I did and the anti seize smoked when the engine was turned back on and eventually went away after a day or 2.

Went out this morning after soaking it in Kroil before going in flr the night! Got the other 2 off with no issues! God damn I love Kroil! I messed up the forst one so ill be on the hunt today trying to find a replacement!

Thank you for the links im sure ill be back referencing them in the future before I attempt future turbo install.
Sponsored