Thoughts on upgrading from a '19 SI Coupe to '20 SI Sedan.

firesyde424

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
I just recently took advantage of the ridiculous pricing Honda has been rolling out in response to the car sales slump and I traded my 2019 Aegean Blue SI coupe in for a 2020 Crystal Black SI sedan. If I hadn't traded my '19 SI in as part of the deal, I could have walked out with the '20 SI for $181/month on a 36 month, 12K mile lease which is nearly $200 less/month than the lease on my 2019 SI.

I put just over 11K miles on the 2019 and I've put 600 miles on the 2020 in the 3 weeks I've had it. Here are my thoughts on the differences.
  1. I love the 2020's LED headlights. I think it completes the overall look of the front of the car far better than the halogen headlights on the 2019. I also find that I prefer the styling of the sedan to the coupe. It feels just a little bit more mature and laid back. Less likely to make people think I'm actually driving a reasonably quick car.
  2. I love the more muted rear wing on the 2020 coupe vs the 2019 coup although that's more a function of the coup vs sedan styling. It's not so aggressive and isn't sticking up into the rear window.
  3. The larger doors on the coupe always felt really heavy and I like the sedan doors much better although, again, less a function of 2019 vs 2020 and more coupe vs sedan.
  4. My admittedly amateur butt dyno can't really tell the difference between the cars in terms of performance. I know the 2020 is geared more for acceleration but I can't indirectly tell. My 2019 could do 0-60 in 6.2 seconds and I've been able to push the 2020 to 6.1 seconds but beyond that, I'm not able to tell much of a difference.
  5. The tech that was added to the 2020 model is mostly cool, especially the lane keeping. As a systems engineer, I geek out a bit when I engage lane keeping and my car drives itself down the highway. I'm sure there will come a time when the collision mitigation keeps me out of a crash but, for now, it's just mostly annoying. I was initially concerned that the automatic high beams wouldn't work well and end up blinding people but I've not seen that so far. It appears to work pretty well and I enjoy having one less thing to worry about while driving at night.
  6. I haven't decided on the different wheels yet. I liked the wheels on the 2019 but I don't know if the wheel change works on the 2020.
  7. As far as the interior goes, the additional red trim on my 2020 looks pretty cool and the upgraded usb port amperage is welcome.
  8. The longer I drive the 2020, the less I like the artificial engine noise and the more I find myself looking for a way to disable it. One of the small joys I had on a quiet night in my 2019 was that, with the windows down, you could hear the turbo's blow off valve. In my 2020, the engine noise coming through the speakers, even at low boost, is usually enough to drown out the other more subtle noises the car makes. Additionally, the artificial noise seems... I don't know... hollow? It's hard to describe. It's almost like someone stood in front of a microphone and made their best approximation of the SI's engine sound with their mouth.
  9. Not sure why, but I'm getting significantly better highway gas mileage in the 2020 sedan vs the 2019 coupe. 35 to 40 highway mpg was pretty standard with the 2019. However, I'm sometimes seeing nearly 50 highway mpg in the 2020. They have the exact same drive train so I'm not sure why there's a difference.

After the items above, they are basically the same car. The sound system is still good, the android integration still stinks, the electric parking brake noise is still irritating. If you like the 2019, you'll probably like the 2020. If you didn't like the 2019, you probably won't like the 2020.

Honda Civic 10th gen Thoughts on upgrading from a '19 SI Coupe to '20 SI Sedan. IMG_20190417_183956

Honda Civic 10th gen Thoughts on upgrading from a '19 SI Coupe to '20 SI Sedan. IMG_20200408_075009

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
Thanks for the comparison.
They made you an offer you couldn't refuse on a great car.

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
as someone like me that has never leased literally anything before I cannot speak if you’re deal is good or not. My preference has always been coupes. One of my favorite things to do is open my door all the way and take up half a parking spot with it wide open pissing off people trying to park.
As for the 2020 si if you don’t like the fake sound they put in there, there’s a connector behind the passenger glovebox you can disconnect.
The mpg difference might have to do with the tires.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
So what was the downpayment on these two leases?

Dealerships are pretty good at bending you over and making you feel like you got a good deal at the same time.

lex97h

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CIVIC SI
Country flag

Dealerships are pretty good at bending you over and making you feel like you got a good deal at the same time.
I leased a 2020 SI coupe last month and my down payment was $600 which included 1st month payment. My monthly payment was $199 including tax, tag and what not. But because I traded in a 2018 Honda Clarity was a lease, it had a negative balance that rolled over. So my monthly payment increased by about $37 to $236 a month. I had about 16 payments left on the clarity at $310 a month.

I think it was a good deal.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I leased a 2020 SI coupe last month and my down payment was $600 which included 1st month payment. My monthly payment was $199 including tax, tag and what not. But because I traded in a 2018 Honda Clarity was a lease, it had a negative balance that rolled over. So my monthly payment increased by about $37 to $236 a month. I had about 16 payments left on the clarity at $310 a month.

I think it was a good deal.
Ain't bad at all

Jay_Tech

First Name
Jarrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
If the artificial noise bothers you too much, if you pull the glove box out, you can unplug the module for it.

OP
OP
firesyde424

firesyde424

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag

Down payment for both cars was $2k. Both leases were 12K miles /yr for 3 years. Current payment is $240/ month and would have been $181/month without the trade.

OP
OP
firesyde424

firesyde424

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
If the artificial noise bothers you too much, if you pull the glove box out, you can unplug the module for it.
Is it really? I'll have to look into that. The car just ticked past 700 miles and I'm looking forward to finally being able to have fun with it. Would be nicer without the weird engine noise from the speakers.

Jay_Tech

First Name
Jarrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Is it really? I'll have to look into that. The car just ticked past 700 miles and I'm looking forward to finally being able to have fun with it. Would be nicer without the weird engine noise from the speakers.
Yeah, its actually fairly simple. Just a few screws to get at it and just unplug a connector. Here is a video on how to do it:

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I was thinking of trading my 19 for 20 because of the sales but might hold off. This is reassuring though about the prices actually really being good. Then again you probably have great credit. Congrats on the upgrade!

jian9007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Congrats on the new Si sedan. I just traded in my 2017 Si Coupe for a 2020 Si sedan as well (both in Aegean Blue, but I also like the meaner look of the black color on the sedan as well) and saved about $200/month. It was definitely worth it. I will be disabling the piped-in engine sound module like in the vid posted by Jay_Tech. Plenty of other manufacturers use artificial engine noise (especially the German companies) and I absolutely hate it when they do. They should just let us disable it in the settings or through a button to make it easier.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Down payment for both cars was $2k. Both leases were 12K miles /yr for 3 years. Current payment is $240/ month and would have been $181/month without the trade.
any idea how much a discount off MSRP that was?

OP
OP
firesyde424

firesyde424

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
Looks like right around $4K

OP
OP
firesyde424

firesyde424

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
I finally got tired of the noise and yanked the module.

Honda Civic 10th gen Thoughts on upgrading from a '19 SI Coupe to '20 SI Sedan. IMG_20200512_150247

No kidding, it had a 22 pin connector! That's what surprised me the most. Thanks for the tip!
Sponsored