Thoughts on Spoon N1 vs Sequence exhaust

ToofHurts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
I'm thinking about upgrading the exhaust. The stock sound is starting to "bore" me. I feel the lack of sound is a major fault with the Type-R. Anyhow - I'm looking for small upgrade - almost like what an OEM sport exhaust option would sound like (think Porsche or BMW). I'm thinking about either the Spoon N1 or the Sequence Ti exhaust. I'm curious what other people's thoughts are. I can't have it "loud" - wife and 3 month old will be VERY upset. haha.
Sponsored

Tim818

King Of The ā€˜Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
The spoon exhaust is 2.75ā€ in diameter and comes with a front pipe, the sequence exhaust is 3ā€ in diameter but is valve controlled and doesnā€™t come with a front pipe. It seems like a lot of people that have purchased the sequence exhaust seem to like it.

xGreyWorm

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Waiting for 27WONā€™s exhaust to come out. And will most likely be getting it.

Hayabusa160

The Master
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Country flag
if you dont want the wife nagging get the sequence. or just leave the stock exhaust and get a downpipe for more sound

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I can't have it "loud" - wife and 3 month old will be VERY upset. haha.
Hard to really say cause i'm not sure how sensitive she would be to noise but as a sequence owner for ~ 4months, i'd say this is your best bet if your finances allows it. I'm still satisfied with the purchase. Being in socal and having a lot of owners around the area, i have heard and listened to many different exhaust set ups in person.

Although the other exhausts might be quiet, it will still have a slight growl and be louder when driving normal while sequence is only loud under throttle. Sequence literally sounds stock if not quieter than stock (at least with oem dp and fp) under normal driving. Your family will not be able to even tell if you even modified the exhaust at all unless you are under load. I can cold start my car in the garage and people inside the house would not be able to tell.

The only issue I can see with the sequence (if i can even call it an issue) is that your only option for the valve is a boost actuated one so you can't open and close it when you want so it would always be quiet on start up/normal driving. You can probably rig a set up to control that but i personally haven't felt the need to. Also the price is quite steep compared to other non valved exhaust options.

hitch

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8
Country flag
HKS Legamax. My son happily sits in the back without feeling like the world is going to end from the noise. When the loud pedal is pressed, it rumbles quite nicely.

If you're cruising, it's very very quiet.

My 2c ;)

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
HKS Legamax. My son happily sits in the back without feeling like the world is going to end from the noise. When the loud pedal is pressed, it rumbles quite nicely.

If you're cruising, it's very very quiet.

My 2c ;)
ditto, Legamax gets my vote also

Bombayite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8
Country flag
Would love to hear a sequence exhaust in person before purchase, I live in Eagle Rock, CA, does anyone have one on their FK8 that lives close by? Please let me know. Thanks

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thereā€™s a number of us in SoCal that have the Sequence. A few of us met up this past Sunday to troubleshoot and repair a recent install here.

Iā€™m in Fullerton, about 35 mins from you without traffic, if wanted to make the trek down one of these evenings or weekends when traffic is light.

Please bear in mind, my car has a down pipe, front pipe and tune, so will be abit louder than an FK8 with just the exhaust alone.

moonrobin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW
Country flag
Thereā€™s a number of us in SoCal that have the Sequence. A few of us met up this past Sunday to troubleshoot and repair a recent install here.
I have the sequence exhaust sitting in it's box in my garage, and really hope I don't have this issue when installing... I'd always considered exhaust mods to be largely aesthetic, but to hear that a mis calibrated boost valve can cause the car to go into limp mode is fairly concerning.

Would unit testing the boost valve before installing the system to verify that it opens fully at ~5 PSI clear me of this issue?

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Iā€™m pretty sure the issue @Sam3 experienced was kind of a one off. The problem (in addition to the wonky dealer install) was the boost actuated center valve was binding and not opening fully..

Sprayed some lubricant, tapped it lightly, exercised it and works fine now.

That said, it would be a simple matter of hooking up some vacuum tubing (the same kind that will be used to connect the exhaust) and apply 5-8 PSI of air pressure to see if it works as it should. Air compressor or maybe even a bike pump.

This can be done before the muffler section is installed to the car.

I have the sequence exhaust sitting in it's box in my garage, and really hope I don't have this issue when installing... I'd always considered exhaust mods to be largely aesthetic, but to hear that a mis calibrated boost valve can cause the car to go into limp mode is fairly concerning.

Would unit testing the boost valve before installing the system to verify that it opens fully at ~5 PSI clear me of this issue?

moonrobin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW
Country flag
Iā€™m pretty sure the issue @Sam3 experienced was kind of a one off. The problem (in addition to the wonky dealer install) was the boost actuated center valve was binding and not opening fully..

Sprayed some lubricant, tapped it lightly, exercised it and works fine now.

That said, it would be a simple matter of hooking up some vacuum tubing (the same kind that will be used to connect the exhaust) and apply 5-8 PSI of air pressure to see if it works as it should. Air compressor or maybe even a bike pump.

This can be done before the muffler section is installed to the car.
Sounds good, I'll do that before installing to save me hassle down the line.

While I've got your attention, could you confirm if all I need in terms of extra parts to do this install is a 3/16" nylon vacuum tee, hose clams for that connection, and zipties for the hose routing? I hoped to avoid the need to mess with OEM frontpipe bolts and such by going with a PRL frontpipe. Is the actual hose from the engine bay to the boost valve something that I have to source myself as well?

Anything that I need which I didn't list? Want to make sure all my birds are in order before I rent out a lift for the install. Really appreciate the help!

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
that sounds right. The vacuum hose can be sourced from any auto parts store. Unfortunately I do not recall the exact size, but you want something that wonā€™t pop off the exhaust valve. Suggest adding a zip tie there.. the vacuum hose will route under the car inside of the under plastics. There should be some lines running under the length of the car that it can be secured to.

Sam3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR
Country flag
My exhaust came with all the parts needed, including the hose, T connector, and clamps. It didnā€™t come with gasket though. Joe said if youā€™re connecting to the stock front pipe, you donā€™t need a gasket.

You may need some insulation foaming (as suggested by @boosted180sx ) if you run the hose from the passenger side to reduce possible rattle with the bottom heat shield.
Sponsored