Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R - FK8
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Hey All,

Hope everyone is safe given the covid situation. Just wondering if anyone is running KW V3s on their FK8? Looking to get some feedback.

Looking at taking the next step to progress my car into a more track orientated stage. Options on the list so far are:
KW V3s
KW Clubsports
HKS Coils

Given I'm based in Australia servicing and support is a concern. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Trevor
Sponsored

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@boosted180sx can give you feedback on the KW's I believe...and he would give better feedback than I as I haven't tracked my CTR.

I'm on HKS. They are really stiff, so definitely day and night compared to the spoon or prokit springs I've tried in the past. I like them so far, and have had them for a few months (since Feb I believe)

merakiautoworks

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
merakiautoworks.com
Vehicle(s)
A bit of everything..
Country flag
I've driven a KW CTR and it felt great on the track to me compared to a car just on springs.

-Josh

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I can't comment of the FK8 but can comment on long term ownership experience. I've ran V2s on on my Mazdaspeed3 for 140K. No leaks, no noise, and 0 quality issues during the entire time. At 100K I felt the damping was getting a bit weak. So I worked with Chad Gordon and Phil Castro at KW to rebuild all four dampers.

I opened a request midweek and had warranty approved in two days. Sent the dampers out on a Friday and had them back within a week. Not only did they rebuild/revalve, they sent me back brand new bushings and damper covers as well. All covered under warranty except for the initial shipping.

Your experience may be slightly different being international, but I completely trust the quality/durability of KW. Hope that helps.

Ouhei

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR
Country flag
KWv3s are generally considered one of the best sets of coilovers you can buy before getting into the super expensive sets. From what I remember they're not as hardcore as other sets in terms of stiffness, more of a street/track coilover than a track coilover.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
KWv3s are generally considered one of the best sets of coilovers you can buy before getting into the super expensive sets.
Truth. Some of the best coilovers before stepping up.. I bought HKS coilovers and sent them back before i even tried them. So cheap looking and $$.. Bought v3s and never looked back.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Factory suspension is pretty capable, so if your goal is reducing lap times, I'd probably save up for something nicer like JRZ or Motons. Steven ran JRZs but mentioned that his lap time didn't drop that much considering the shocks are about $5k USD.

VinRRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R16017
Country flag
KW is a well known brand. Can't really go wrong with them. It really comes down to the features that you're looking for such as: dampening adjustment, ride height adjustment, camber and spring rate. Personally for this car, I wouldn't get anything in the sub-1500 price range.

OP
OP
FK8R.MagikalTrev0r
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R - FK8
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Factory suspension is pretty capable, so if your goal is reducing lap times, I'd probably save up for something nicer like JRZ or Motons. Steven ran JRZs but mentioned that his lap time didn't drop that much considering the shocks are about $5k USD.

100% agree - I've tried with stock suspension and Whiteline springs for 6 months + at the moment. It is very capable indeed - I'd like the additional adjust ability which is the main reason for pursuing coils at this stage. Plus, since I'm driving around in R+ majority of the time (cause race car) it would be nice to dial back the harshness for daily use where I can.

KW is a well known brand. Can't really go wrong with them. It really comes down to the features that you're looking for such as: dampening adjustment, ride height adjustment, camber and spring rate. Personally for this car, I wouldn't get anything in the sub-1500 price range.
Yep - Do something once, do it right and don't cheap out aye :)

Appreciate all the comments so far. KWs are looking like a very good option!

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
for what it's worth, lots of JDM companies are working w/ KW these days and using them. Spoon being one of them. If you get Spoon coilovers in the future, you're pretty much getting KWs. Maybe the valving and spring rates and other knick knacks might be diff?
Sponsored