Spence

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen civic SI
Country flag
Hi guys, I feel my tsp stage one is running too rich. Idk like 1000miles in on a fresh oil change, and the oil is super black. And always as usual, there is lots of soot filling the tips and soot all over my bumper and even over my fresh type r honda badge on the back (not nasty on the front) (I'm hoping this isn't oil)

Granted I do drive the car hard..

And its burning about 0.2qts of oil per like 1000miles now. I only have like 43,000 miles on the car. And it wasn't burning oil long before. Already changed the pcv, but I'm wondering if the tsp tune is pushing too much fuel causing the oil to thin, and causing the oil to burn. But at the same time partly worried I've worn out the piston rings being tuned for 7,000 miles.

The plugs look mint no soot on them or any evidence of crusty carbon build up, but I'm guessing these plugs get washed clean by the direct fuel injection.

I'm just not sure a custom tune would help the extreme soot and oil consumption possibly? I mean I always thought the consensus a custom tune is a big no no. But with hondata all I have primarily available for ots tunes are the 1.5r from phearable, tsp tunes, and the included hondata tunes.

Partly I'm not sure if its bad to just run an included tune, as I started on all the hondata included tunes anyway previously.

Thanks
-Spence
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ronny2019

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
Hi guys, I feel my tsp stage one is running too rich. Idk like 1000miles in on a fresh oil change, and the oil is super black. And always as usual, there is lots of soot filling the tips and soot all over my bumper and even over my fresh type r honda badge on the back (not nasty on the front) (I'm hoping this isn't oil)

Granted I do drive the car hard..

And its burning about 0.2qts of oil per like 1000miles now. I only have like 43,000 miles on the car. And it wasn't burning oil long before. Already changed the pcv, but I'm wondering if the tsp tune is pushing too much fuel causing the oil to thin, and causing the oil to burn. But at the same time partly worried I've worn out the piston rings being tuned for 7,000 miles.

The plugs look mint no soot on them or any evidence of crusty carbon build up, but I'm guessing these plugs get washed clean by the direct fuel injection.

I'm just not sure a custom tune would help the extreme soot and oil consumption possibly? I mean I always thought the consensus a custom tune is a big no no. But with hondata all I have primarily available for ots tunes are the 1.5r from phearable, tsp tunes, and the included hondata tunes.

Partly I'm not sure if its bad to just run an included tune, as I started on all the hondata included tunes anyway previously.

Thanks
-Spence
If you are burning oil a tune will not help. The black soot is normal for our turbo small engine cars. If you are worried about it run a blend of e85 like 35-40% and you will not have soot build up like that. You need a flex kit and tune. If you buy the kit from phearable he gives you money off the tune

Chilly613

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Sport Touring 6MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Custom tune is not gonna help. Was it running fine before or was it only like this when you flashed the tune? Datalogging also helps to get more info, and narrow things down especially if its a possible issue with the Tune, you can provide it to TSP and they may assist you. Can try flashing it back to stock, if its still running rich and burning oil its not the tune. Also, check your intake, if thats all clogged up, its gonna compensate for any lack of air and dump a bunch of fuel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spence

Spence

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen civic SI
Country flag
Custom tune is not gonna help. Was it running fine before or was it only like this when you flashed the tune? Datalogging also helps to get more info, and narrow things down especially if its a possible issue with the Tune, you can provide it to TSP and they may assist you. Can try flashing it back to stock, if its still running rich and burning oil its not the tune. Also, check your intake, if thats all clogged up, its gonna compensate for any lack of air and dump a bunch of fuel.
It runs perfectly fine, its just that I've noticed how rich it runs because of all the soot. 0.2qts of oil being burned wouldn't explain this amount of soot. But yea doing another data log to look at afr's would be a good idea. I mean 14.7:1 is the ideal afr, just wanna see if its richer or leaner than that. I do have a mishimoto cold air intake, and the filter is still pretty clean.

part of it is that I'm bummed that with hondata I'm mad that I only have 1 main tune for tsp instead of 3 separate maps. The hondata tsp stg 1 tune doesn't have those three maps.

Part of it is I'm thinking of going back to a +6 hondata tune and telling it I have a cold air intake, cause with the cold air intake and exhaust, my car runs especially limp without a tune, (probably slower than stock)

rtypefk8

First Name
rtype
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
type R
Country flag
If you are burning oil a tune will not help. The black soot is normal for our turbo small engine cars. If you are worried about it run a blend of e85 like 35-40% and you will not have soot build up like that. You need a flex kit and tune. If you buy the kit from phearable he gives you money off the tune
I have seen so much soot

Longislandcivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 hatchback
Country flag
How do you even measure .2 qt accurately? Running rich is quite normal, but after flashing phearable 1.5r, my fuel trims have been very stable at around 0.

Ronny2019

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
It runs perfectly fine, its just that I've noticed how rich it runs because of all the soot. 0.2qts of oil being burned wouldn't explain this amount of soot. But yea doing another data log to look at afr's would be a good idea. I mean 14.7:1 is the ideal afr, just wanna see if its richer or leaner than that. I do have a mishimoto cold air intake, and the filter is still pretty clean.

part of it is that I'm bummed that with hondata I'm mad that I only have 1 main tune for tsp instead of 3 separate maps. The hondata tsp stg 1 tune doesn't have those three maps.

Part of it is I'm thinking of going back to a +6 hondata tune and telling it I have a cold air intake, cause with the cold air intake and exhaust, my car runs especially limp without a tune, (probably slower than stock)
Its the tuner you are using that does not allow map switching ktuner does that is why your tunes dont have the maps

OP
OP
Spence

Spence

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen civic SI
Country flag
How do you even measure .2 qt accurately? Running rich is quite normal, but after flashing phearable 1.5r, my fuel trims have been very stable at around 0.
well, I mean it took not even half a quart of oil per 1000 miles or so. I'm tempted to get the 1.5r from phearable soon cause that is the only phearable tune available for hondata sadly. I ran a datalog while giving it a rip, Its appartently running 15.03 on the afr reading. Long and short fuel trims were at 0 too.

Interesting that it being at 15.03 on the afr that oddly means its running leaner I believe. But the plugs look great (tan and no soot) idk but coming out of the exhaust there is quite a bit of soot..

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
What are your long term fuel trims?

OP
OP
Spence

Spence

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen civic SI
Country flag
What are your long term fuel trims?
Sorry I didn't see your reply, but looks like the long term fuel trim as at 0% over the graph, the short term is what varies quite a bit. Afr starts at 14.63:1 but goes all over the place. This was a datalog after letting it warm up and going for some wot blasts.

It actually does get really rich at 11afr thats stupid rich.

Seems more like this sparatic graph is a result of my driving it looks like.

Honda Civic 10th gen Thoughts on getting a custom tune? Screenshot 2023-03-29 222742
Sponsored

Last edited: