• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2C, FL5
If you still overheat with those mods. You going fast fast around the track
Or tracking your car in the south of Spain in summer, I have seen it happen in Jerez to some FK8 and FK2. But people just pause and go for a chat with other drivers!

I love the videos from this journalist, if you are lucky to speak Spanish, enjoy! Otherwise you can set the captions to translate to English when auto-generated if you dont mind not having the audio. He does chassis, steering, engine and pedals assessments separately.

FK8 - He fell in love with it.

FL5 - Better car, nonsense price-tag makes it hard to justify the upgrade from FK8, he wants one.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Estoril4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport Mt, 2017 Toyota 4runner XP, 2014 Audi S4, 2017 CBP Type R
Ready to hear about the R and S driving similarities/differences from a certain youtube personality 😀

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 fc3, 2021 fk8
Yeah, I think once you get it dialed in it would be easy to get it overheated, especially in the right temperatures. I followed those threads because I was curious to see what changes Honda would make with the FL5. Lots of good information there. I want to start getting some seat time and experience it myself, I just haven't had the time. I see alot of people focusing on the overall oil temps but with these cars, the ECT is more important.

Yeah, it makes sense considering the engine internals are essentially unchanged, really wished it was packaged differently, like not have all of those hot components so close to the intake tube. The big benefit is probably just that the engine bay is alot bigger now, and aero is better so you probably won't need to cut apart your hood as much.
Oil temps are tricky because it might be an indirect observation. The facelift FK8, which shows oil temperature readings, doesn't have a proper temp sensor. It's calculated. And most people tracking their cars have changed the oil weight, so we don't know how much we trust those numbers. Has anyone confirmed the FL5 has an oil temp sensor?

Regarding mods, the current best single mod one can do to an FK8 is a secondary radiator. Now that track season has started, people are testing if this - without an oil cooler - is enough for 20 min sessions.

The big benefit is probably just that the engine bay is alot bigger now, and aero is better so you probably won't need to cut apart your hood as much.
We actually measured and compared the engine bays - not really much of a difference (I can get you a link for the posts if you are interested). As I said, we really want the FL5 to not overheat to learn from it! The fk8 hood has a useless scoop, but there are fk8s with hood vents far larger than a stock FL5 and it's still not nearly enough to control the overheating in our cars.

The FL5 definitely has improved cooling that will get you more laps than a FK8. Is it enough for 20 min sessions on summer temps pushing hard?

did anyone talk about the FL5 TCR? I saw that it debuted and got pole position back in May at the IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge for its class (TCR). I wonder what cooling modifications the FL5 TCR is running. The information so far is pretty sparse but thats probably because its so new and hasn't really been in anything.
The last picture from OP in that post I linked before is a FL5 TCR car. It seems to have the same cooling mods as the FK8 TCR: V mounted radiator and a larger IC. I once saw a FK8 TCR on a trackday, but didn't get pictures of the engine bay. I do have pics of a RS3 TCR.

I want to start getting some seat time and experience it myself, I just haven't had the time.
Please do, and report back =). It's always nice seeing people taking these cars to a track.

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: K20Z1 EK Civic, Golf R Mk7.5, B8 RS4
Build Thread
Link
It is winter in Australia and our ambient temps have been between 5-17*C (41-63F) during the 3 different outings on 3 different race tracks/events that I've taken my FL5 to and have not experienced any over heating.
I have to say though - when I drive, I am very sensitive to the tyres overheating and I stop pushing once the tyres are 10-20% past their peak grip threshold - so depending on the track thats between 2-4 full laps of maximum speed mode push.
During these push laps - I've logged ECT reaching 95C and Engine Oil reaching 125C.
I imagine there would be power loss at these temperatures but its mostly undetectable from the ass dyno. And the lap data shows consistent max speeds on the straights further backing that the car is not drastically pulling boost/ignition/fuel to manage coolant temps.
I expect things to be different on hotter ambient temps in summer - but I imagine the tyres will be giving out far earlier than the cooling system does.

So far my car is 100% stock in terms of power train and cooling. Only work done being the suspension and tyres, oh and an exhaust resonator delete which would do nothing for or against the cooling system.

It may be worth noting that the engine coolant does the job of cooling the engine oil and also the transmission fluid. So I think auxillary coolant radiators is the absolute best solution to controlling the temps and thereby mitigating the overheat condition rather than installing oil coolers.

11th Gen Honda Civic Thoughts on FL5 vs FK8 (by savagegeese) FB_IMG_1684844293969

Last edited:

michaeljf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 Civic Type R LE
As someone who's extensively tracked a Hyundai i30N hatch (and briefly run an Elantra N on a skidpan) it's good to see the brand get some love for what they're doing.

Definitely not as special as a Type R but 90% of one for 70% of the price (yep a "Kirkland" car). Plus it gets everything right for me in the areas that matter as a fun car that is genuinely track ready off the showroom floor.

Last edited:

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
Thanks we have a Type S video coming too that will really be special as well.
Is that just on the Type S or Type S compared to FL5? Also, it needs to be at least 60min long now that you set the bar...In IMAX with Dolby Atmos surround.

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
Not compared technically but...
Got it. On a more serious note, the production quality of your videos is getting better and better - outstanding work on that front, not just the content. They are like little movies - documentaries if you will. Great quality production, content, and humor.

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Awesome review, major thanks to @savagegeese , Jack and special guest Carlos Lago was great too. Hoping to see more collabs with him in the future.

Out of curiosity, which drive modes were all lap times achieved in? Was TC/ESC fully off on all of them?

OP
OP

savagegeese

First Name
Savagegeese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
Awesome review, major thanks to @savagegeese , Jack and special guest Carlos Lago was great too. Hoping to see more collabs with him in the future.

Out of curiosity, which drive modes were all lap times achieved in? Was TC/ESC fully off on all of them?
All cars had TCS/Stability off. The FL5s TCS system is not that invasive on the street or up to 8/10ths but going flat it stops the car from being able to throttle lift steer the back and makes it far less easy to get car to turn in. It also does its version of brake TQ vectoring which is very hard on brakes.

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
All cars had TCS/Stability off. The FL5s TCS system is not that invasive on the street or up to 8/10ths but going flat it stops the car from being able to throttle lift steer the back and makes it far less easy to get car to turn in. It also does its version of brake TQ vectoring which is very hard on brakes.
Did you have the car in +R mode for the traditional OFF, or did you use Individual mode to get the better damping of Comfort and do the “pedal dance”?
Sponsored