OP
Civic17siYAY

Civic17siYAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Also getting MX-5 vibes from it, but overall like the like compared to previous gens, it's MUCH better than the 11th Gen Passat...i mean Civic.
Agree on both statements. It seems a lot of cars are copying the Mx-5 look nowadays. I hate the look of the new civic. They took 5 steps back on that one.

The more I look at the new BRZ the more I wish they kept the last gen style and just added FI. They are such sharp looking cars out of the box. Every time I drive by one, I consider buying one until I remember how slow they are :(
Sponsored

circuit.heart

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport (Si converted), '94 525i x2
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Everyone wants FI until you realize that a turbo engine floored all the time has a lifetime measured in hours, not years. Given that the BRZ/86 formula is to let drivers go absolutely nuts in it, I totally get why they went for a larger displacement NA engine instead.

I'm not in love with the styling, but the interior ergonomics already look good to me and the extra space in the fender wells just means more room for tire. The base platform is reportedly derived from the ZN6, aka a decontented Impreza, so parts will be handily available right off the bat to dial it in as a driver's car.

If my FK7 don't sell, heck, I could trade it in for the new 86.

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
Looks are subjective, I bet this car will look great in person.

@circuit.heart is 100% correct on FI, while it’s nice to have on certain vehicles in this case I’m highly doubting it necessary. They added the more power and torque that people were craving. The turbo would have added weight, price, complications which means more parts that can fail.

Sure would a turbo be nice? I guess,... I would prefer to have a super charger but for a base model this car looks damn near perfect. Down the line they can add a Turbo Charged special addition or an “STi” variant that’s high 30’s. I think they would sell like hot cakes even if it weighs 280-300 lbs more

OP
OP
Civic17siYAY

Civic17siYAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Everyone wants FI until you realize that a turbo engine floored all the time has a lifetime measured in hours, not years. Given that the BRZ/86 formula is to let drivers go absolutely nuts in it, I totally get why they went for a larger displacement NA engine instead.

I'm not in love with the styling, but the interior ergonomics already look good to me and the extra space in the fender wells just means more room for tire. The base platform is reportedly derived from the ZN6, aka a decontented Impreza, so parts will be handily available right off the bat to dial it in as a driver's car.

If my FK7 don't sell, heck, I could trade it in for the new 86.
Do you have any sources showing that this NA motor is built to get the piss beaten out of it and take it? I'm genuinely looking for information on why they went the route they did when most everything I read from the general public was screaming "THIS NEEDS FI!" I figured it was just cost saving measures.

circuit.heart

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do you have any sources showing that this NA motor is built to get the piss beaten out of it and take it? I'm genuinely looking for information on why they went the route they did when most everything I read from the general public was screaming "THIS NEEDS FI!" I figured it was just cost saving measures.
86CUP is a spec ZN6 series that has repeatedly shown you can bash on the FA20 literally all day long as long as it's not majorly modified.

Super Taikyu ZN6's have stock, SEALED engines that run for 24hr races. Contrast that to the efforts Team Honda Research and JAS went through to get the CTR's to run reliably.

Try redlining a stock STI or Evo for half an hour and I will guarantee the engine needs TLC afterward. The FA20 isn't indestructible by any means, but Subaru and Toyota did a good job keep it understressed enough that you CAN do this. You kinda have to, to make it go any semblance of "fast" lol.

HomieGohan

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R | 1999 Civic Hatch NDF Style
Country flag
86CUP is a spec ZN6 series that has repeatedly shown you can bash on the FA20 literally all day long as long as it's not majorly modified.

Super Taikyu ZN6's have stock, SEALED engines that run for 24hr races. Contrast that to the efforts Team Honda Research and JAS went through to get the CTR's to run reliably.

Try redlining a stock STI or Evo for half an hour and I will guarantee the engine needs TLC afterward. The FA20 isn't indestructible by any means, but Subaru and Toyota did a good job keep it understressed enough that you CAN do this. You kinda have to, to make it go any semblance of "fast" lol.

I can for sure see it going to a spec class. People who do wheel to wheel racing will enjoy having the comfort of the reliability if properly maintained . I can't wait to see one with a nice set of wheels and lowered, it's going to look so mean just by that alone.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag

24 h races? redlining for half an hour and needs TLC?

I fail to be impressed. :thumbsdown:

..........after reading the following just recently on this forum:

Hi guys, I got an article written in thailand, talk about hondata and civic L15B7.

One of my favorite part is when Hondata states that "During R&D process in building this 1.5T engine, Honda has tested this engine at max horsepower at max RPM and keep it for 200 hours and found out the engine still fine. And many more abusive tests and the engine still OKAY, before launch this engine".

What do you think ?
Please take a look, you may want to translate the page into english.

http://www.headlightmag.com/mods-light-step-civic-1-5-turbo-rs/
Can the boxer NA run for 200 hours at redline?:p

circuit.heart

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
24 h races? redlining for half an hour and needs TLC?

I fail to be impressed. :thumbsdown:

..........after reading the following just recently on this forum:

Can the boxer NA run for 200 hours at redline?:p
With adequate water cooling, oil cooling, oil supply, and reasonable load, an L15B will survive on the bench. Cars are complete systems working in the real world, however.

Let's say you seriously tried to "Wangan Midnight" your Civic, averaging at least 100mph - after just 30hours you've already done >3000mi, and I guarantee your oil is black. Keep trying that and you'll blow the turbo in short order. It took me two track days (4hrs track time) to ruin a factory Sport turbo - bench testing means nothing.

Among budget car engines, I only know of two that you can really mistreat and still make it home - Honda's L15A, and Mazda's MZR-2.5. The 86/BRZ FA20 seems to have earned admission to that club as well, but ONLY if kept stock. I've seen a few tuned cars pop engines at the track.

OP
OP
Civic17siYAY

Civic17siYAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag

Good info! Thanks! :)

supaaacharge98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX Coupe
Country flag
Like it a lot, would love to pick one up as a weekend car one day.
Sponsored