ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-a...nsing-and-new-logr-datalogging-smartphone-app

If you wanted to get a Type-R, how would you value the 2020 updates? I guess it depends on your intended use of the car (strictly daily, track car, dual-duty), and whether the updates you like outweigh the ones you don't (or vice versa), and whether the price of a new FK8 is worth it over used.

Here are the updates:

1) Body-colored accents to the bumper cutouts
2) New grille design (13-percent-larger opening)
3) Updated radiator core (18-degree Fahrenheit drop in coolant temperature when paired with the new grille)
4) Redesigned front spoiler under the bumper
5) Adaptive Damper System control sofware updates 10 times faster
6) Rear lower B-arm stiffened
7) Front compliance bushings 10% stiffer
8) Front lower-friction ball joints
9) Two-piece front brake rotors
10) Updated front brake pads with a more fade-resistant pad material
11) Alcantara-wrapped steering wheel
12) New shift lever
13) Suede shift boot
14) Active Sound Control
15) Honda LogR
16) Honda Sensing
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
ApexEight

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
My thoughts on each update:

1) I don't really like the way they look.
2) This is nice, although an eBay grill would probably flow even better and is affordable and is not super difficult to install, although the OE piece would probably fit better. I guess it's a matter of trading off either quality/fitment or performance.
3) This is really nice as the '17 - '19s are known to have cooling issues when driven hard during hot track days, and aftermarket units are expensive and seem to be difficult to install, but I wonder if these updates are enough. 18-degrees seems high. I wonder if the eBay grill alone would make that much of a difference in a pre-'20.
4) Negligible, I think.
5) This is cool, but they probably wouldn't feel like they make a significant difference.
6) This is nice, bushings are difficult to replace, but they probably wouldn't feel like they make a significant difference.
7) This is nice, bushings are difficult to replace, but they probably wouldn't feel like they make a significant difference. I'd be interested in upgrading these if I were to get a pre-'20 as aftermarket options are a bit expensive, but they seem to be difficult to install, although they would probably make a bigger difference.
8) This is nice, ball joints can be difficult to replace, but they probably wouldn't feel like they make a significant difference.
9) This is nice, as they weigh less and are also blank rotors which I prefer to drilled and/or slotted units, but they probably won't make that much of a difference. I've read about rotor shudder issues, but I don't know if these updated units would solve them, unless they're caused by the drilling.
10) This is nice, but not super important to me. The pre-'20 pads should be good enough for me, and I'd probably want to upgrade if I ever started tracking frequently anyway.
11) This is cool, but I'm concerned about the material for daily driving. It could get frayed and be difficult to clean.
12) This is nice. I would want one.
13) This is cool, but not super important to me.
14) This is cool since I'd like to keep the exhaust stock but still get some more exhaust noise, but also kind of lame at the same time. I haven't found any information on being able to turn it off.
15) This is awesome, but I don't think I'd really use it that much, unless I started tracking frequently. It doesn't seem terribly difficult to install a oil pressure and temperature gauge, which are the two numbers I'd really like to keep an eye on.
16) This is nice, but I'm concerned with only being able to turn it off in +R mode with VSA off, but I guess that's the only time I'd want it off?

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
My thoughts on each update:

1) I don't really like the way they look.
2) This is nice, although an eBay grill would probably flow even better and is affordable and is not super difficult to install, although the OE piece would probably fit better. I guess it's a matter of trading off either quality/fitment or performance.
3) This is really nice as the '17 - '19s are known to have cooling issues when driven hard during hot track days, and aftermarket units are expensive and seem to be difficult to install, but I wonder if these updates are enough. 18-degrees seems high. I wonder if the eBay grill alone would make that much of a difference in a pre-'20.
4) Negligible, I think.
5) This is cool, but they probably wouldn't feel like they make a significant difference.
6) This is nice, bushings are difficult to replace, but they probably wouldn't feel like they make a significant difference.
7) This is nice, bushings are difficult to replace, but they probably wouldn't feel like they make a significant difference. I'd be interested in upgrading these if I were to get a pre-'20 as aftermarket options are a bit expensive, but they seem to be difficult to install, although they would probably make a bigger difference.
8) This is nice, ball joints can be difficult to replace, but they probably wouldn't feel like they make a significant difference.
9) This is nice, as they weigh less and are also blank rotors which I prefer to drilled and/or slotted units, but they probably won't make that much of a difference. I've read about rotor shudder issues, but I don't know if these updated units would solve them, unless they're caused by the drilling.
10) This is nice, but not super important to me. The pre-'20 pads should be good enough for me, and I'd probably want to upgrade if I ever started tracking frequently anyway.
11) This is cool, but I'm concerned about the material for daily driving. It could get frayed and be difficult to clean.
12) This is nice. I would want one.
13) This is cool, but not super important to me.
14) This is cool since I'd like to keep the exhaust stock but still get some more exhaust noise, but also kind of lame at the same time. I haven't found any information on being able to turn it off.
15) This is awesome, but I don't think I'd really use it that much.
16) This is nice, but I'm concerned with only being able to turn it off in +R mode with VSA off, but I guess that's the only time I'd want it off?
4) was done because the downforce chang caused with the redesigned grill 2)

Rather get the 2) + 4) instead of an aftermarket grill

slowman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ABM CTR, 08 Mugen Si, 07 Fit Sport, 06 Acura TSX, 95 240 LS3, 93 Civic VX B16B
Country flag
The only thing I would really want is the LogR. I dislike Sensing type features in vehicles. All other things I would value from the 2020 update can be easily added (or even better aftermarket options) to the 17-19.

OP
OP
ApexEight

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
4) was done because the downforce changed with the new grill 2)

Rather get the 2) + 4) instead of an aftermarket grill
Right. Going the 2) + 4) route on a pre-'20 would be pretty cool, as I like sticking with OEM, but I'd imagine the parts would be pretty expensive. Best value for a pre-'20 would probably be just getting an eBay grille, which could potentially offer even better cooling performance, but probably not downforce.

The only thing I would really want is the LogR. I dislike Sensing type features in vehicles. All other things I would value from the 2020 update can be easily added (or even better aftermarket options) to the 17-19.
The LogR is really cool, and the fact that you can get it in a '20 for not much more is pretty cool. I'm still on the fence about Sensing. In daily driving situations, I think it'd be fine, but I'm more concerned for when it's time to autocross or track it. I read the 2020 manual and it states that the car must be in +R mode and VSA disabled in order for Sensing to be off. I don't know if I'd always want to be in those modes during autocross and track time, but I do know that I'd want Sensing off. Kinda reduces flexibility.

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Right. Going the 2) + 4) route on a pre-'20 would be pretty cool, as I like sticking with OEM, but I'd imagine the parts would be pretty expensive. Best value for a pre-'20 would probably be just getting an eBay grille, which could potentially offer even better cooling performance, but probably not downforce.

The LogR is really cool, and the fact that you can get it in a '20 for not much more is pretty cool. I'm still on the fence about Sensing. In daily driving situations, I think it'd be fine, but I'm more concerned for when it's time to autocross or track it. I read the 2020 manual and it states that the car must be in +R mode and VSA disabled in order for Sensing to be off. I don't know if I'd always want to be in those modes during autocross and track time, but I do know that I'd want Sensing off. Kinda reduces flexibility.
According to the price of the 17-18 Front Grill + Splitter (I think its around $250 combined) and the 2020 Radiator only being $115, all 3 upgrades would probably cost the same amount as 1 x Koyo Rad or a little less

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
A lot of people here trading in for a 2020 or buying a 2020. There are a good number of 18's used listed with low miles make you wonder. A good number of people value the 2020's over the 17 - 19's at the moment.

OP
OP
ApexEight

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
According to the price of the 17-18 Front Grill + Splitter (I think its around $250 combined) and the 2020 Radiator only being $115, all 3 upgrades would probably cost the same amount as 1 x Koyo Rad or a little less
That's actually not bad. Didn't realize the 2020 radiator was that cheap. This guy put one in his pre-'20. He's already seen a temp drop in daily driving and is supposed to be taking it to Thunderhill tomorrow: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1503642676393131?view=permalink&id=2804603882963664

Edit: Thunderhill cancelled. :(

OP
OP
ApexEight

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
A lot of people here trading in for a 2020 or buying a 2020. There are a good number of 18's used listed with low miles make you wonder. A good number of people value the 2020's over the 17 - 19's at the moment.
Hopefully that leads to cheaper pre-'20s. I
really wonder if the 2020 will be better for track use when you take into account the pros (improved cooling, brakes, and suspension) and the potential headaches (Sensing).

dsm_mikey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 23 ZL1 1LE, 07 S2000, 05 350Z, 86 190e 16V
Country flag
I really didn't look at buying the pre-2020 CTR> They seem like amazing cars, but I am buying this car as a way to drive tracks before I race them and want a car I can load the family into and have fun with it without turning it into a track car. Was really turned off by the overheat problems. It sounds as though this was addressed and now my car (2020 CTR) is due into the dealership in 2 weeks. I am excitement for it.

I really wish Honda had this cooling issue solved before they released the 17's. The more I look into these cars, the more amazing they seem.

All of the changes for 2020 are a plus for me. There really aren't any that I dislike. All of these changes enhance the car in a big way for me-way more than the price increase.

I don't see the Honda sensing causing problems. It just needs to get turned off before you go on track.

Last edited:

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I really didn't look at buying the pre-2020 CTR> They seem like amazing cars, but I am buying this car as a way to drive tracks before I race them and want a car I can load the family into and have fun with it without turning it into a track car. Was really turned off by the overheat problems. It sounds as though this was addressed and now my car is due into the dealership in 2 weeks. I am excitement for it.

I really wish Honda had this cooling issue solved before they released the 17's. The more I look into these car, the more amazing they seem.

All of the changes for 2020 are a plus for me. There really aren't any that I dislike. All of these changes enhance the car in a big way for me-way more than the price increase.

I don't see the Honda sensing causing problems. It just needs to get turned off before you go on track.
I don't understand the people complaining about sensing, push a button to turn it off, done lol???

OP
OP
ApexEight

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Created this to get multiple perspectives and I'm very happy that I did. I just hope the Swindon closure and COVID don't wreck 2020 availability, thereby hiking prices up. I'm looking at buying used next summer and pre-'20s are already getting cheap, which is tempting.

Rottboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 BB CType R; ''17 Alfa Romeo 4C Coupe; 15 Honda Fit LX Manual; '14 MB G550;
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
.......1) Body-colored accents to the bumper cutouts
............................16) Honda Sensing
1. Accents on the fake bumper louvers is a desirable update in my case. Passed on every year from '17 - '19 and was glad to finalize my deposit for a 2020. Just couldn't get used to those massive black plastic non-functional inserts.
16. Honda Sensing, useful on a family car moreso than on an FK8. Unnecessary, but will use it occasionally on my infrequent long freeway trips.
The GK Fit LX manual remains my designated out-of-town vehicle. Can't beat 40mpg and listening to sounds through my installed Audison DSP.
Everything in-between 1 -16 will be gravy for 2020 CTR owners.

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R 2020 4Runner 2019 Camry 2011 Accord
Country flag
I don't understand the people complaining about sensing, push a button to turn it off, done lol???
Because with most systems this will only disable everything except the automatic breaking. Ever tried to shoot the gap or dodge someone that pulls out in front of you with auto-breaking? It's a terrifying experience especially if someone is beside or behind you. A lot of these systems also turn back on (at least breaking does) when you restart the car ( I don't know if Hondas do that.) Not to mention that windshields cost a fortune if you have these systems.

All of that aside, I'm glad it's out there for the new drivers like my daughter that will turn 16 this year. There's just way way too many distractions for drivers in this newer generation (mostly the cell phones they grew up with.)

On topic, what I would want from the 2020 is the logR, grill and radiator. Nothing else interests me. I got my 19 a month ago and could have waited for a 20 but those few items weren't enough for me to go back through the trouble of finding an R at MSRP or lower in the 2-3 colors I like. No regeRts.

un1coRn

IG: @sgp_fk8r
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP FK8 R-34844
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1) Body-colored accents to the bumper cutouts NEUTRAL AESTHETICALLY, UPGRADE AERODYNAMICALLY
2) New grille design (13-percent-larger opening) UPGRADE, DUNNO HOW MUCH PERFORMANCE WISE
3) Updated radiator core (18-degree Fahrenheit drop in coolant temperature when paired with the new grille) UPGRADE, SOUNDS HIGH
4) Redesigned front spoiler under the bumper TBH CAN'T EVEN TELL
5) Adaptive Damper System control software updates 10 times faster UPGRADE
6) Rear lower B-arm stiffened UPGRADE
7) Front compliance bushings 10% stiffer UPGRADE
8) Front lower-friction ball joints UPGRADE
9) Two-piece front brake rotors UPGRADE
10) Updated front brake pads with a more fade-resistant pad material UPGRADE
11) Alcantara-wrapped steering wheel WHO GIVES AF
12) New shift lever UPGRADE
13) Suede shift boot WHO GIVES AF AGAIN
14) Active Sound Control SMFH HONDA
15) Honda LogR SURE WHY NOT