10GCivicSi_Vs_5GPrelude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Honda Prelude
Hello fellow Honda fans! ...Been reading the forums for a while - really would like to hear some of your thoughts on this: I've been driving my 1998 Honda Prelude since I bought it brand new and have honestly been trying to replace it for years and literally unable to find a car I like better, and that includes a few Accord Coupes, Audi A5, Cadillac ATS Coupe and most recently Ford Focus ST. Regardless of more power, luxury, etc, I think the Prelude is superior due to it's go-kart like handling, low-to-the-ground profile & seating position, super-smooth drivetrain (even after 17 yrs!), and recently at the top of my list, super-heavy self-centring hydraulic steering (only car that came close with EPS was the Focus) and LACK OF UNNECESSARY DRIVER/SAFETY AIDS.

I am really hoping to be able to replace my '98 Lude with the 2016 Civic Coupe Si - here are the make or break items for me - what do you guys think the odds are that the Coupe Si will hit these marks?

Ideally, my '16 Civic Coupe Si will feature:
  • Manual gearshift of course!
  • Dimensions & weight comparable to 5G Prelude
  • Sunroof
  • Heavy self-centring steering
  • Ability to say NO to all Honda Sensing - not only don`t I need it, the camera blocks out a big chunk of windshield (at least on the 2015 Accord Coupe!)
  • Ability to get the top-of-the-line stereo without having to get Honda Sensing suite with it
  • Available Black leather seats - if I have to have cloth, gotta be ALL BLACK - not everyone likes red or thinks it is particularly `sporty`, and definitely no Ivory leather for me
  • Piano Black interior trim - carbon fibre is so passé, lame, and plain unattractive
  • Decent wheels
Sponsored

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
Hello fellow Honda fans! ...Been reading the forums for a while - really would like to hear some of your thoughts on this: I've been driving my 1998 Honda Prelude since I bought it brand new and have honestly been trying to replace it for years and literally unable to find a car I like better, and that includes a few Accord Coupes, Audi A5, Cadillac ATS Coupe and most recently Ford Focus ST. Regardless of more power, luxury, etc, I think the Prelude is superior due to it's go-kart like handling, low-to-the-ground profile & seating position, super-smooth drivetrain (even after 17 yrs!), and recently at the top of my list, super-heavy self-centring hydraulic steering (only car that came close with EPS was the Focus) and LACK OF UNNECESSARY DRIVER/SAFETY AIDS.

I am really hoping to be able to replace my '98 Lude with the 2016 Civic Coupe Si - here are the make or break items for me - what do you guys think the odds are that the Coupe Si will hit these marks?

• Sunroof
  • Ability to say NO to all Honda Sensing - not only don`t I need it, the camera blocks out a big chunk of windshield (at least on the 2015 Accord Coupe!)
  • Ability to get the top-of-the-line stereo without having to get Honda Sensing suite with it
  • Available Black leather seats - if I have to have cloth, gotta be ALL BLACK - not everyone likes red or thinks it is particularly `sporty`, and definitely no Ivory leather for me
  • Piano Black interior trim - carbon fibre is so passé, lame, and plain unattractive
  • Decent wheels
Man you are one picky guy! No wonder you have had that car for 17 years which is awesome. Well hopefully your dreams come true. We all can't wait to hear what the Si will offer. I am sure you eventually will find the car that makes you say ok time to replace. I know my list for the new Si I want around 220 hp and torque light only 2800 lbs led lights. Nice stereo. Prefer cloth dark with red Si letters not red seats. So I hear ya man. We all want what we want.

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
And forgot to add 8 dcT with paddle shifters and sales price around 26 k

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag

• Sunroof
  • Decent wheels
I pretty much agree with you on all points except the 5G Prelude, unfortunately that car was too heavy, from what we can tell so far the CivicX Si should be 100-200 pounds lighter.

My ideal Si would have the following notable items:

-lack of all active safety features.
-LED headlights (long shot here)
-the 450w amplifier and speaker package without navigation
-LSD
-no 1.5T
-DCT option would be very nice (remember, Preludes had AT options from the beginning!)
-cloth interior, all black with red stitching

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
I pretty much agree with you on all points except the 5G Prelude, unfortunately that car was too heavy, from what we can tell so far the CivicX Si should be 100-200 pounds lighter.
My ideal Si would have the following notable items:

-lack of all active safety features.
-LED headlights (long shot here)
-the 450w amplifier and speaker package without navigation
-LSD
-no 1.5T
-DCT option would be very nice (remember, Preludes had AT options from the beginning!)
-cloth interior, all black with red stitching
Nice. What is lsd? Thought that was a drug. Ha jk but what is lsd

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
Limited Slip Differential. What the last 2 generations of Si have had.

I fear if they go 1.5T there will no longer be a need for LSD.
I wouldn't mind 1.5 T if they can get 300 plus horses out of 2.0 I think Honda can surprise us what the 1.5t could be. I just don't think they like the idea of a de tuned type r engine but who knows we probably have another few months till we find out. Which is making me take more pills.

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBR600RR
Limited Slip Differential. What the last 2 generations of Si have had.

I fear if they go 1.5T there will no longer be a need for LSD.
Definitely gotta have LSD on the Si. It's one of the biggest differentiators between the Si and base models IMO.

Why no need for LSD with 1.5T - not enough power? Even the 1.5T can benefit from limited slip. It's got decent torque after all. And from the acceleration videos it's clear that traction is even an issue with the 1.5T, especially with the efficiency-focused factory Firestone tires.

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
Who knows they might surprise us with a 1.8 turbo + 230 horsepower + 230 pound feet of torque which would be perfect because that engine would be way lighter then the 2.4 currently

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Yeah I'd be OK with that. I just can't stomach the idea of a 1.5T Si.....the Fiesta ST has a bigger motor fer cryin' out loud!

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
  • Sunroof
  • Decent wheels
Hey welcome to CivicX! Here's what I think on some of your want-list.
    • [Si will come with manual for sure. Only question is if it's also offered with optional auto/cvt/dct]
    • [2016 Sedan is 182.3 in and coupe will likely be 2-3 inches shorter, which would put it at 179-180 inches. 5th gen Prelude was 178 inches. So should be very close]
    • [2016 Sedan weighs from 2742-2924 pounds. 5th gen Prelude was 2954-3042 pounds, so the Si Coupe may be even lighter than that, depending on how it's equipped]
  • Sunroof
    • [Don't do it! More weight at the worst possible place on a car :)]
  • Heavy self-centering steering
    • [Not sure if Si will have different steering. The base one is supposed to have decent weight and responsiveness already]
    • [Depends on how they decide to equip the Si Coupe. Whether it's more like a stripped down EX model, a highly optioned Touring model, or maybe an option of either. If it's going to be as equipped as a Touring model, then you won't have a choice of no Honda Sensing.]
    • [If Si Coupe is equipped like a Touring model then you'd get the top of the line stereo, but also Honda Sensing with it. If it's equipped like an EX, then you won't have either].

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
My thoughts below:

• Manual gearshift of course! - Yes
  • Dimensions & weight comparable to 5G Prelude - Lighter
  • Sunroof - Yes
  • Heavy self-centring steering - Electronic steering but fairly responsive
  • Ability to say NO to all Honda Sensing - not only don`t I need it, the camera blocks out a big chunk of windshield (at least on the 2015 Accord Coupe!) - Will likely be offered as an option but not part of a package/trim.
  • Ability to get the top-of-the-line stereo without having to get Honda Sensing suite with it - Likely.
  • Available Black leather seats - if I have to have cloth, gotta be ALL BLACK - not everyone likes red or thinks it is particularly `sporty`, and definitely no Ivory leather for me - Unlikely; leather inserts/bolsters at best. Cloth seats are generally preferred by enthusiasts and tend to hold the driver in place better than full leather.
  • Piano Black interior trim - carbon fibre is so passé, lame, and plain unattractive - Likely neither.
  • Decent wheels - 18x7 most likely

Also, the industry is moving towards active torque vectoring over a traditional LSD. I wouldn't rule it out, but would be surprised if we saw an LSD in the new Si.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
No way would the Si get active torque vectoring. A mechanical LSD is fine for what the Si is about. Maybe the CTR.....

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
No way would the Si get active torque vectoring. A mechanical LSD is fine for what the Si is about. Maybe the CTR.....
A lot of people think Si going to be within 50 or 60 hP of type r and my thinking is that won't be the case. They are going to leave a good 75 hp between the two. Si will be about being a good light sports car. Type r, like many say will be a different kind of animal.
Sponsored