Thoughts/Feedback on Intercooler Options

kevink333

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan
Hey Guys, I am looking at buying an intercooler for my 17 SI. Living in Vegas my main concern is how much it can drop the Air temp. My IAT are typically 20 degrees highe than ambient air. I have an Injen CAI and FP +6 basemap, I was looking at the new Mishimoto but it looks to lower the temps worse then other options.

Mishimoto 20 degree drop
PRL 36 degree drop
Injen 24 degree drop

Has anyone with PRL confirmed these temp drops?

Am I missing something with my interpretation of this data?

I will get the pipe kit with any option so that makes the PRL the most cost effective option! I do like sticking with similar parts so was leaning toward the Injen.

Anyfeedback would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
Hello,

There should be quite a few active members on here that can provide info regarding their PRL Motorsports intercooler & charge pipe upgrade kit, as we've seen these posts before. Though results should be similar, keep in mind that different climates and driving styles can and will reflect minor differences.

With that being said, most aftermarket intercoolers on available will be able to provide some sort of gains, as the factory intercooler played a big role in heatsoak in our testing. These cars simply cannot deliver safe and reliable power with the factory interooler, especially in the Vegas heat. In case you haven't seen already, check out our stock VS PRL intercooler results here:
FMIC Friday? Finally we have some dyno testing and data for you guys!

Civic%20X%20PRL%20IC%20Cat%20DP%20FP%20S1_zpstjxj5gng.jpg
Here is an overall comparison from what we have gathered thus far with our 2017 Civic Si in terms of gains. We chose the dyno runs to compare because these are all 4th gear pulls with identical coolant temps and knock values (~55%). All of these pulls are untuned and using the factory Honda ECU mapping.
  • 100% Stock Civic Si Baseline: 186 hp & 215 ft/lbs tq
  • 100% Stock Civic Si + Stage 1 Intake: 191 hp & 216 ft/lbs tq
  • 100% Stock Civic Si + Stage 1 Intake + Catted DP/FP Combo: 207 hp & 221 ft/lbs tq
  • 100% Stock Civic Si + Stage 1 Intake + Catted DP/FP Combo + FMIC Kit: 216 hp & 224 ft/lbs tq
In other words we gained 9 hp and 3 ft/lbs tq by simply bolting on our FMIC kit in comparison to the factory intercooler setup.

Before anyone says it, we already know somebody is going to say, "OMG that's it?" Let's take a bigger look at this.

Civic%20X%20Stock%20IC%20PRL%20Cat%20DP%20FP%20Heatsoak_zpsxjesqmlc.jpg
Here are three back-to-back (all runs within 2 minutes of each other) 4th gear dyno pulls with the stock intercooler, our Stage 1 Intake and catted downpipe/front pipe combo. As stated in an [URL='http://www.civicx.com/threads/prl-motorsports-civic-x-1-5t-product-development.8515/page-22']earlier thread
, this car HATES 4th Gear dyno pulls from the factory. Notice the power loss from heatsoak during these back-to-back dyno pulls. This heatsoak only gets worse on hotter days or during even more extreme conditions like extended spirited driving and racing.

Run 6:
  • Knock Value 55%
  • Coolant Temp: 178 F Start / 189 F End
  • IAT Pre IC: 99 F Start / 100 F End
  • IAT Post IC: 99 F Start / 124 F End
Run 7:
  • Knock Value 55%
  • Coolant Temp: 190 F Start / 212 F End
  • IAT Pre IC: 102 F Start / 102 F End
  • IAT Post IC: 115 F Start / 138 F End
Run 8:
  • Knock Value 55%
  • Coolant Temp: 200 F Start / 228 F End
  • IAT Pre IC: 107 F Start / 108 F End
  • IAT Post IC: 126 F Start / 156 F End

Civic%20X%20PRL%20IC_zpstlk82tdb.jpg

Here are three back-to-back (all runs within 2 minutes of each other) 4th gear pulls of the same car, but with our FMIC kit added. The car responded MUCH better to repeated abuse and testing; heatsoak was drastically reduced.

Run 6:
  • Knock Value 55%
  • Coolant Temp: 181 F Start / 201 F End
  • IAT Pre IC: 96 F Start / 96 F End
  • IAT Post IC: 90 F Start / 99 F End
Run 7:
  • Knock Value 55%
  • Coolant Temp: 196 F Start / 217 F End
  • IAT Pre IC: 100 F Start / 102 F End
  • IAT Post IC: 95 F Start / 104 F End
Run 8:
  • Knock Value 55%
  • Coolant Temp: 199 F Start / 218 F End
  • IAT Pre IC: 105 F Start / 99 F End
  • IAT Post IC: 96 F Start / 106 F End
All dyno testing was performed on the same day. We saw as much as a 50 degree drop or an average of 36 degrees in post intercooler intake air temps on stock ECU mapping by simply swapping out intercooler setups. These results will only be amplified when running more boost via ECU tuning. More boost out of a tiny turbocharger = higher temps. Higher temps = increased chances of knock/detonation, thus limiting power and reliability.

Though the power gains may seem minimal on a stock or near stock car running factory boost levels, gains become much greater when turning the boost up and pushing things to the max. Aftermarket intercoolers are intended to reduce post intercooler intake air temps as much as possible to make the engine and forced induction system as efficient as possible, thus drastically improving engine/component longevity. We expect our Cobra CAI system to compliment this FMIC quite well in an effort to reduce intake air temps even more! :thumbsup:
[/URL]
However, even though most intercoolers will be able to assist in reducing charge air temps, there are a few more things that we should keep in mind when considering intercooler choices.
  • Bigger isn't always better: The larger the intercooler and piping, the larger the volume of air that is required to fill up this space, translating to turbo lag. We put quite a bit of effort into offering a high-density 500 hp core that doesn't create notable turbo lag by. We tested a variety of different fin pitches/densities to come up with what we feel is the best all-around performing and cooling intercooler, which also allows room for future big power goals.
  • Frontal Surface Area
If you ever have any questions our email and phone lines are always open! :)

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here is a video posted before with PRL intercooler temps.

Xtelotatichl

First Name
Cha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si
Country flag
@prlmotorsports when are you having another sale on the intercooler+charge pipes again? Soon I hope! Either way I’ll be saving my pennies

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a discounted intercooler kit, when purchasing a turbo kit.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey Guys, I am looking at buying an intercooler for my 17 SI. Living in Vegas my main concern is how much it can drop the Air temp. My IAT are typically 20 degrees highe than ambient air. I have an Injen CAI and FP +6 basemap, I was looking at the new Mishimoto but it looks to lower the temps worse then other options.

Mishimoto 20 degree drop
PRL 36 degree drop
Injen 24 degree drop

Anyfeedback would be greatly appreciated!
Since you want to lower temps, have you considered insulating/heat wrapping your intake tubing? There is a thread here ongoing that some people have had some success with doing this --> Stock airbox modified for cold air

I previously had the PRL intercooler on order but cancelled while it was still being developed (Impatience on my part, no problems on their part). I do have their intercooler piping though. In the meantime I have some heat wrap on order and will be putting it on all the intake piping. I will apply it on all the piping before the turbo, after the turbo (before intercooler) and after the intercooler to the throttle body. There will be improvement over stock but how much is the question. It's something to consider in line with actually purchasing an aftermarket intercooler. It's cheaper too!

Just to go a little bit further, here is a link to the heat wrap that I ordered ~~> DEI 010396 Reflect-A-Gold High-Temperature Heat Reflective Adhesive Backed Roll Take the time to read the reviews and look at how people have been applying it to their intercooler piping (and intercooler itself) to see why I purchased it. Once I get it and apply it, if I like it a lot, I plan on purchasing a lot more of it to apply to my other cars (Supercharged Toyota RAV4 and Turbo/Nitrous Subaru Impreza Outback Sport). I'm fairly excited about it actually. :)

Last edited:

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think wrapping the intercooler pipe before the intercooler will help. The air is heated up by the turbo pressure and it probably will radiate heat instead of absorbing engine bay temperatures. Wrapping the intake and after intercooler piping may help a bit. FWIW I think my post about wrapping the intake and the drops that I got in another thread was optimistic. Later trips to the grocery store showed higher temps than first trip after wrap. Wrapping did help though.

Reactions: Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think wrapping the intercooler pipe before the intercooler will help. The air is heated up by the turbo pressure and it probably will radiate heat instead of absorbing engine bay temperatures. Wrapping the intake and after intercooler piping may help a bit.

This is a great point. Thanks for sharing.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
$800 for a top quality intercooler that’s made in house here in the USA by one of the best company’s out there. Best materials are being used. Hand welded by professionals that KNOW what they are doing, that’s a bargain people! They could easily sell them for a few extra hundred and that would still be considered value because of the reasons above. I’m extremely happy that they are not shady, mass producers that are in it for money and being lazy with the creation of the product. Using cheap ass materials to further their income, half ass the welds, no back purging. These guys do it all! They use digital 3d programming to make the most precise and best products out there. They take pride in their work and do it properly. They have all the machines and tools and space and knowledge. I definitely can’t say that about all company’s I come into contact with. Yes some have some of these aspects, but to find a company that has them all is priceless. Thank you again @PRL Motorsports for what you guys/gals do! Sincerely appreciate it.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Snagged my PRL intercooler for cheap during an Ebay 20% sale. While I haven't necessarily felt the advertised 9 whp drop-in boost in power, my IAT2's have dropped significantly under load. No complaints here.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Snagged my PRL intercooler for cheap during an Ebay 20% sale. While I haven't necessarily felt the advertised 9 whp drop-in boost in power, my IAT2's have dropped significantly under load. No complaints here.
How much did you personally observe your IATs drop?
Sponsored