Thoughts and reviews on CVT vs Manual

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
The DSG in my wife's GTI is so much more satisfying to drive versus the CVT in my Civic. Manual is of course far more engaging, but at least the DSG gives some feedback.
Sponsored

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The DSG in my wife's GTI is so much more satisfying to drive versus the CVT in my Civic. Manual is of course far more engaging, but at least the DSG gives some feedback.
That's interesting, I drive a lot of rental cars and if it's VW, Seat or Skoda they have DSG most of the time. I would prefer the CVT of the Civic all day long.

DSG is often unsettled and changing gears when it just makes no sense.
The worst days in terms of bad reliability are over now, but still many DSG transmissions have problems after several ten thousand kilometers. Then DSGs often start to change gears way too rapidly and maneuvering can be kind of annoying.

I also prefer the engine braking of the CVT, it feels much stronger than engine braking on any DSG I've ever driven. Especially before turns or on mountain roads it's much more satisfying to use the paddle shifter of the CVT than of a DSG.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
That's interesting, I drive a lot of rental cars and if it's VW, Seat or Skoda they have DSG most of the time. I would prefer the CVT of the Civic all day long.

DSG is often unsettled and changing gears when it just makes no sense.
The worst days in terms of bad reliability are over now, but still many DSG transmissions have problems after several ten thousand kilometers. Then DSGs often start to change gears way too rapidly and maneuvering can be kind of annoying.

I also prefer the engine braking of the CVT, it feels much stronger than engine braking on any DSG I've ever driven. Especially before turns or on mountain roads it's much more satisfying to use the paddle shifter of the CVT than of a DSG.
Our GTI is at nearly 90k miles and the DSG still performs well. But you definitely feel the difference when the fluid is old versus fresh.

The GTI in manual mode using the paddle shifters feels far more solid and connected than my Civic when driving aggressively, in my opinion. We take the mountain roads by lake Berryessa a few times a year and open up the GTI and it does what I want, when I want. Driving around town in D is a different story, but then again the CVT in the Civic is also at its worst in around town traffic in terms of being slow to react and in the wrong "gear" at times.

I'll also say, the CVT is no match for the DSG from a dig. Her DSG with launch control leaves me for dead every time.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The GTI in manual mode using the paddle shifters feels far more solid and connected than my Civic when driving aggressively, in my opinion. We take the mountain roads by lake Berryessa a few times a year and open up the GTI and it does what I want, when I want.
That surprises me, well maybe I'm not driving aggressive and fast enough to feel this or I did something wrong when driving a car with DSG.

Driving around town in D is a different story, but then again the CVT in the Civic is also at its worst in around town traffic in terms of being slow to react and in the wrong "gear" at times.

I'll also say, the CVT is no match for the DSG from a dig. Her DSG with launch control leaves me for dead every time.
I know what you mean, but I would say that's because of the much better performance the GTI has. There are different versions of the GTI, but they all have 2.0 liter engines, much more horsepower and torque.

But of course when it comes to higher performance cars, there are better transmissions than the CVT.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
CVT is good for most women and guys who don't care about cars. For everyday (boring) driving, which is what most people do most of the time.
If you really like cars and really like driving you're probably NOT going to like CVT. I hated it. I test drove a new civic with CVT and found it so depressing I told the sales guy I was going to look at some other cars first. Then he asked if I drove stick. When I said I did he brought up a new 6MT and told me to drive it. HOLY MOLY!!! talk about a better driving experience!. I bought the car right there.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
CVT is good for most women and guys who don't care about cars. For everyday (boring) driving, which is what most people do most of the time.
If you really like cars and really like driving you're probably NOT going to like CVT. I hated it. I test drove a new civic with CVT and found it so depressing I told the sales guy I was going to look at some other cars first. Then he asked if I drove stick. When I said I did he brought up a new 6MT and told me to drive it. HOLY MOLY!!! talk about a better driving experience!. I bought the car right there.
Man, I feel like a woman... who doesn't give a damn about cars, because I love the civicx CVT. :love: In fact, I wouldn't buy a small economy car like the civic without it. Not that I ever get bored, but I just had enough stick and wanted something new, exciting and advanced. Anyone who is not engineering oriented won't get the full excitement of the CVT...... And I bought it right there on the spot, no diddling, bang and it was mine, :spaz: yes sireeee! Why compromise? Admittedly, being a happy, young at heart girl, :wave: I don't do any everyday boring driving, so I don't suffer from depression. :dance:

Last edited:

BrianAngel702

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 1.5T
Country flag
I'm running a bit under 300 HP on my CVT with quite a few mods and bolt ons pretty impressed with the CVT even though I feel you should go straight to aftermarket intercooler CVT cooler oil cooler and anything else you can cool your fluids with these suckers heat up real hot and that's when stuff starts popping and breaking invest in cooling before you invest in performance. Or just buy a nice air bag kit and scrape it that's just as cool as grenading a $25,000 car

BrianAngel702

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 1.5T
Country flag
@BrianAngel702
That's enourmus. Have you uploaded some acceleration videos or something on youtube, I'm really curious.
Honestly I shouldn't have wasted this much time on this little motor it's not impressive I've had over 60 cars in my life multiple show cars multiple 700 + horsepower multiple twin turbo. Really not impressive it was more a goal for me to figure out how to make the car crackle when nobody would tell me how that's all. I would never try to impress someone with a 1.5 VTech LMAO. Even with the modifications I have done all I feel when I wot is disappointment and financial stress at this point in life. Thank you for your curiosity though appreciate the support I'm not that guy talk to PRL or one of these other companies Grenadian Motors over 600 plus horse I wanted a fast car I'll buy an 8th gen hatchback and spend 20 plus on a twin-turbo K block or dare I say Hemi ROFL jk... I have a pro drag car engine builder that would throw together a big block with a screw and help me put together a rat rod for under 15 grand if I really wanted to spend some tires and show off I would do something along those lines I'm just too old for the b******* I just didn't want this car to get me killed trying to cross an intersection with its weak acceleration and horsepower

BrianAngel702

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 1.5T
Country flag
@BrianAngel702
That's enourmus. Have you uploaded some acceleration videos or something on youtube, I'm really curious.
This should be proof enough to what I've done to the motor that's all I'm going to say like I said it's not bragging rights I just didn't want to die in this slow ass POS

Honda Civic 10th gen Thoughts and reviews on CVT vs Manual IMG_20200925_072658_772

Last edited:

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@BrianAngel702
My english is not good enough to understand what you're saying. I tried to read the whole text several times, it makes no sense to me.
I was just asking for a video, were I can see the 0-60 time and I'm curious how the CVT deals with that amount of torque.
Sponsored