1.5T Those with big turbo upgrades...

Thanks_Enjoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI Sedan
Country flag
I love the 27won company and was also considering the W1, but I read of a few too many horror stories about cracked turbines, so that kind of steered me away. While shifted powerband may be good for the motor/trans, it still is more power nonetheless!

I don't spend too much time above 4-5k during daily driving, so that lag is what I'm worried about. Have yet to install my DP/FP and custom tune, so not FBO yet. I may just try out that combination before deciding if more power is for me.

This is one of the things I'm worried about. Would hate to have to baby a vehicle during daily driving... I do not plan on builing up internals or replacing the trans! I would only stay on 93 pump gas, even though I do have access to E85 w/in 20-30mins.

Good luck with your build!
I don't think anyone spends much time above 4 or even 5k for normal daily driving.
Sponsored

Reactions: Myx

SouthSideBeef

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR86
Country flag
I've been going back and forth forever on whether I want to upgrade to a bigger turbo. If I do decide to get the W1 later this year I'll share my opinions on it but I'm seriously considering just ending my build and keeping my car on the stock turbo w/ a 93 tune.

Honestly I just don't think 1.5 liters is enough displacement for me to try and make big power. I enjoy watching other people push the limits on this platform and I cheer for them but it's not for me. I want good response and power throughout the entire rpm range. 1.5L just isn't gonna get me that. So now I'm thinking about getting a second car to make big power with, either NA or supercharged. But there's still a good chance that I'll pick up a W1 this summer just to see what it feels like. Unless I find someone who's is willing to let me drive their big turbo car.

Shingo_FK7

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I have the W2 turbo pushing 300 on 91 and 330 on e30 and it’s doing just fine. Installed it myself and I daily drive my car. It’s definitely weird to get used to staying in the higher rpms but it’s still drivable but getting from 20 to 40 is weird without hitting slight boost but as long as you’re not hitting full boost around 2500 rpm you should be fine. It just depends on what you’re willing to live with for power.

18Aegeansedan

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean blue si sedan, 99 f250 v10
Country flag
I’ve had the w1 e-tuned and I went through 2 of them both of the turbo’s exhaust wheels cracked, then went to the prl big turbo gtx2860r gen 2 e-tuned also. The prl kit is not that much different in spool time vs the w1, and prl uses a tried and true Garrett turbo. I wish I would have just got the prl kit the 1st time around. Big turbo kit’s and drop in turbos are going to be about the same 93 or e30-40 tune, but the prl kit is more efficient than a drop in, drop in turbos are maxed out at those level though. Stock fueling is what limits any turbo on our platform.

OP
OP
arpypat

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve had the w1 e-tuned and I went through 2 of them both of the turbo’s exhaust wheels cracked, then went to the prl big turbo gtx2860r gen 2 e-tuned also. The prl kit is not that much different in spool time vs the w1, and prl uses a tried and true Garrett turbo. I wish I would have just got the prl kit the 1st time around. Big turbo kit’s and drop in turbos are going to be about the same 93 or e30-40 tune, but the prl kit is more efficient than a drop in, drop in turbos are maxed out at those level though. Stock fueling is what limits any turbo on our platform.
Sorry to hear about your issues with the W1... Can't believe you went through 2 of them! The cracked turbines is something that dissuaded me from looking at the W1

Those Garrett ones are nice, but I already have the 27won TIP and RV6 downpipe, which would be incompatible with PRL's kit. The car is already a bit of a money pit for me, but I don't want to sell aftermarket parts just to buy more of the same aftermarket parts.

I think I talked myself out of getting a big turbo kit (for now at least). The low end grunt of the stock turbo is not something I'd be willing to give up for daily driving duties. I'm going FBO+custom 93 tune for now. If that ever gets boring, then I might go for a flex fuel kit and dual custom tune.

If I end up getting a new daily, then I might turn this into a big turbo toy in the future!

18Aegeansedan

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sorry to hear about your issues with the W1... Can't believe you went through 2 of them! The cracked turbines is something that dissuaded me from looking at the W1

Those Garrett ones are nice, but I already have the 27won TIP and RV6 downpipe, which would be incompatible with PRL's kit. The car is already a bit of a money pit for me, but I don't want to sell aftermarket parts just to buy more of the same aftermarket parts.

I think I talked myself out of getting a big turbo kit (for now at least). The low end grunt of the stock turbo is not something I'd be willing to give up for daily driving duties. I'm going FBO+custom 93 tune for now. If that ever gets boring, then I might go for a flex fuel kit and dual custom tune.

If I end up getting a new daily, then I might turn this into a big turbo toy in the future!
I do have new in the box w1 (3rd one )I got back from warranty, a 27won tip for the 27won street maf, and a maperformance catted downpipe I’m going to list for sale soon. I wanted to use all my stuff I had already also, but the 2nd w1 made me decide on the prl kit. Did I waste money yes.

18Aegeansedan

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Honda Civic 10th gen Those with big turbo upgrades... C52E1E7E-A3BB-40FD-84E5-F3F3EF0D8F5C

stevebinh

Stevebinh
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Big turbo is scary. The W2 is more fun to drive, but honestly we big turbo guys are playing with fire I think. Only a matter of time before your stock powertrain goes out. Have the money saved up and a course of action before going big turbo. Im working hours like a mad man, and daily driving like a paranoid man too. Ive had motor mounts and slave cylinder go out from hard shifting on track and street. Yes I touched both of those things myself as a beginner mechanic, but I have much less faith in the cars design as a whole to handle high horsepower.

Ill be having an engine builder in San Diego do bottom and head work. And already have mfactory gears on the way. Hopefully I dont throw a rod or 4th gear before parts and funding come through.

300 wheel+ out of a civic is nothing to toy with.
What’s the name of the engine builder in San Diego I been looking

Nickthewaffler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic FK7, 2016 Panamera, 2000 AP1 S2000
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Mrbadwrench

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic ex-t sedan
Country flag
Anyone have the pure450? How does that spool compared to the w1?

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
I have a TD03 hybrid, made out of a base turbo core, pushing 264whp on stock exhaust. It's been working great for about 5k miles, hits boost targets around 3000rpm and light boost is available as low as 2k rpm.
Base model here so comparable top end to the W1 and much better spool.

Mrbadwrench

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic ex-t sedan
Country flag
I have a TD03 hybrid, made out of a base turbo core, pushing 264whp on stock exhaust. It's been working great for about 5k miles, hits boost targets around 3000rpm and light boost is available as low as 2k rpm.
Base model here so comparable top end to the W1 and much better spool.
Link?

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here's a friend of his that is using a TD04 he stated in this thread ---> HERE
So, another update, this is not my car, but one of a good friend. It's a 2017 FK7 sport plus hatch with forged rods & pistons, FX300 clutch and a TD04 hybrid (similar flow to a W1) on stock fuel system.
More than 290whp and 40kgm wtq on a dynapack on RON100 fuel!

This one's a lil' f@kn beast :)

FK7-TD04-293whp.jpg

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Lol all your answers lie 1 post before my result :)

So ...

I'm on a 27Won Intake (that replaced my Mishimoto) on street MAF but will swap to race MAF as I am getting too close to 5v on the street MAF.
I have the Wagner intercooler including piping.
I'm on stock clutch and it's holding fine up to a little over 35kgm wtq for 70.000km
I'm also on full stock exhaust including the oem cat.

I tried 3 turbo's so far like this :
Modified Si turbo -> 250whp
TD03 hybrid -> 264whp
27Won W1 -> 267whp

I don't own the W1, a customer of my tuner bought it, and as he could not have access to a dyno, @angel1320pro (who tunes me) installed it on my car to create a nice base for a remote tune. I'm not sure of the final cost but I can ask.

that said my personal favorite (and final setup) is the TD03 hybrid as it is a perfect combination of low and top end. The W1 is more potent after 6000rpm but I wouldn't want to push it any further than 265whp or so. Also the W1 is quite lazy down low and only start to put down power past 3000rpm which is quite a compromise for a daily.

I'm on 5w30 since I changed to the Si+ and was running on Honda 0w20 up to that point.
Sponsored