Those with a dash camera...what does your setup/install look like?

MidnightMonolith

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
So I have been looking into getting a dash camera for the car for awhile now. Between the (not-so) brilliant drivers in my area, and just basic peace of mind, I really want one. But one thing I am struggling with is the install. I would ideally like it hardwired for constant use (even while the car is parked - hit and run scenario), but don't want wires all over the car. So I am curios to see how some people have their dash cams set up. Both hardwired and not. I have searched and found some great suggestions for cameras, but nothing of what they look like installed on the cars.

Appreciate the help!
Sponsored

ChinStrap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
My wife got me one for Christmas, I'll be installing it when it warms up a little.

CobraCommand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Canadian Civic LX Hatchback, formerly 2017 Canadian Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
I have mine installed behind my mirror mostly out of sight. The head liner is incredibly easy to run cords in and also down the A pillar just gently pull the plastic and push the cable in, from there under the dash is pretty simple, I have mine powered off of the power port with a dual usb plug (I also have foot well lights plugged in) so I ran it down my passenger side no problem, just run it down driver side for hardwired.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
The wires are super easy to run. I just tucked in the wires on the headliner and then tucked it in through the A pillar down the side to the fuse box. No wires are visible except for the wire that goes straight up from the unit to the headliner. The camera itself is hidden behind the rear view mirror from my point of view.
Honda Civic 10th gen Those with a dash camera...what does your setup/install look like? IYbtgQW

if you have an auto dimming mirror, you can actually hide the wires using the harness cover for the auto dimming mirror. Here's how I hid the wires on my '16 ILX. I might get that harness cover for the Type R and somehow mount that cover to hide the wire going towards the headliner also.
Honda Civic 10th gen Those with a dash camera...what does your setup/install look like? 9PjMQqT

Last edited:
OP
OP

MidnightMonolith

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
The wires are super easy to run. I just tucked in the wires on the headliner and then tucked it in through the A pillar down the side to the fuse box. No wires are visible except for the wire that goes straight up from the unit to the headliner. The camera itself is hidden behind the rear view mirror from my point of view.
IYbtgQW.jpg

if you have an auto dimming mirror, you can actually hide the wires using the harness cover for the auto dimming mirror. Here's how I hid the wires on my '16 ILX. I might get that harness cover for the Type R and somehow mount that cover to hide the wire going towards the headliner also.
9PjMQqT.jpg
Does your camera have a rear facing camera on the unit?

I've seen a few units with a rear facing camera on the unit itself and wondered about how it would sit on the windshield. Would it sit too low under the mirror and cause a problem?

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the BlackVue 650S two channel professionally installed. Hard wired that allows recording while parked.

I'll take a picture when I get home.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Does your camera have a rear facing camera on the unit?

I've seen a few units with a rear facing camera on the unit itself and wondered about how it would sit on the windshield. Would it sit too low under the mirror and cause a problem?
nah. mines just a small front facing unit. You can always mount it in different places. I just didn't want it to be visible from my driving point of view so I mounted it where I did.

OP
OP

MidnightMonolith

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
nah. mines just a small front facing unit. You can always mount it in different places. I just didn't want it to be visible from my driving point of view so I mounted it where I did.
Kind of exactly what I was looking for. But the rear facing camera on the units seems like a good feature. Just not sure if it is worth it if it obstructs the road at all due to it needing to sit low enough to actually see anything (if the camera is any good for seeing anything out the back window at all). I wanted something that fit right behind my mirror just like you have setup.

CobraCommand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Canadian Civic LX Hatchback, formerly 2017 Canadian Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
Kind of exactly what I was looking for. But the rear facing camera on the units seems like a good feature. Just not sure if it is worth it if it obstructs the road at all due to it needing to sit low enough to actually see anything (if the camera is any good for seeing anything out the back window at all). I wanted something that fit right behind my mirror just like you have setup.
you can get ones with a smaller rear camera that goes into the back window itself. I didn't bother with a rear camera since if someone rear ends me, I'll have my front camera to prove I wasn't doing anything stupid "he suddenly stopped!" plus most places you are at fault if you rear end someone anyways.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Most of the cheap cameras don't really come with rear facing ones unless the unit itself is humongous which i didn't like. I also was not about to spend like $400 on a camera so...

you can get ones with a smaller rear camera that goes into the back window itself. I didn't bother with a rear camera since if someone rear ends me, I'll have my front camera to prove I wasn't doing anything stupid "he suddenly stopped!" plus most places you are at fault if you rear end someone anyways.
Yup. pretty much. I mainly got in case some idiot decides to cut me off and to record idiots driving on the road.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'll be honest I got this more for a deterrent. My 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5SE was keyed twice.

The reason why I got a dash cam when I bought my Murano.

I only got the 2 channel for my CivicX because the shop didn't have the 1 channel available so they gave a deal on this.

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
IYbtgQW.jpg

9PjMQqT.jpg
I Have exactly the same set up with mine. I concur, installation with NO TOOLS took me 10 mins max in -20c weather, very easy to hide the wires exactly like you described.

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Figured I'd post my setup since I installed it today
Vantrue N1 right behind my mirror
Honda Civic 10th gen Those with a dash camera...what does your setup/install look like? dAY2tvEh

Used the EX-T w/ sensing mirror wire harness to cover the wire
Honda Civic 10th gen Those with a dash camera...what does your setup/install look like? 6tRGS8ih

I did have to modify the cover to work on my non-sensing equipped Sport Hatch. Here's what it looked like:
Honda Civic 10th gen Those with a dash camera...what does your setup/install look like? hew702nl

And here's what I did so it had something to grab onto on the bottom (the leftover part fits right between the mirror base and the windshield). Used some side cutters, an exacto, and a dremel sanding drum to remove material
Honda Civic 10th gen Those with a dash camera...what does your setup/install look like? knoL1YVl

I should have taken the pictures with the harness cover in the same orientation, but I didn't because I suck. Just make sure the leftover bits are on the open side of the harness cover (the side that sits against the windshield)

Fanoflive

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe EXT 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have mine hardwired. Wires tuck easily into the head liner and behind the A pillar. I highly recommend checking out this DIY post by Zero here. Very useful information.

Here is my setup. I got my camera on a lightning deal on Amazon. It is an Apeman C550.

Honda Civic 10th gen Those with a dash camera...what does your setup/install look like? 20171113_064642
Honda Civic 10th gen Those with a dash camera...what does your setup/install look like? 20180113_234151
Honda Civic 10th gen Those with a dash camera...what does your setup/install look like? 20180113_234106