Those who sold OEM wheels/tires

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
I am really struggling with figuring out what the hell I am going to do for wheels on my upcoming Type R. The roads here will result in damage for sure...I have bent OEM wheels that weren't 20's with rubber bands so I know this will happen. I am also not too excited about replacing the fast wear tires, but I get why they went with them. I will never track this car, and will be mainly commuting and city driving it.

One option I have been considering is to sell the OEM setup but I am afraid it will make the car lose value if I ever did want to sell it. For those of you who have sold the OEM kit or plan to, what is your logic on it?
Sponsored

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you're replacing the wheel/tire combo with something more commuter friendly, I would keep your OEM set if you're planning to sell it. It will most definitely lose value.

If you're planning to not run a 20, make sure whatever you get clears the brakes. I seriously doubt a 17 would clear those Brembos.

TheBigG

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2017, Kia Optima Sportswagon GT 2017
Country flag
The car will lose value anyway

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I plan on driving it and not keep it as a "collectible".
Sold my OEMs because I know I will never go back to running 20s on it.

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag
Not sure what your financial situation is, but I'd keep the OEM wheels (in case you want to sell/trade your car in the future and need to put back to stock) and get a decent set of aftermarket '18s. I switched to cheapo '18s for my winter setup and the ride is so much better. I have a set of '18 Volks on order and once those arrive, the 20s will only come back on for track duty.

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
Why not take her to the track? It’s extremely fun and what the Type R is meant to do. If all I was going to do was commute, I’d have just gotten another luxury car to replace the Audi that I had traded in for the CTR.

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you can swing it, keep the stock wheels. Always good to have a back up set, you will want them if you decide to sell and you can always sell them in the future, if you get in a pinch or decide that this car must be yours forever. Even though I downsized, I really like the stock wheels & decided to keep my set. I imagine they could be worth a bit in the future, but totally understand if you need to sell them to pay for the new set. I've switched out the stockers on all my previous Hondas & sold most of them (except for my '99 Si) and it's never been an issue. The Honda dealer wouldn't take my '14 Accord when I tried to trade it on the CTR because it did not have the stock wheels & they could not "Honda Certify" it, but the Toyota dealer snatched it right up.

Last edited:

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
there's plenty of people selling their oem wheels/tires, so you can always get one for a spare. I'm keeping mine, but will get another set of something....not sure what yet.

OP
OP
slowride

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
If you can swing it, keep the stock wheels. Always good to have a back up set, you will want them if you decide to sell and you can always sell them in the future, if you get in a pinch or decide that this car must be yours forever. Even though I downsized, I really like the stock wheels & decided to keep my set. I imagine they could be worth a bit in the future, but totally understand if you need to sell them to pay for the new set. I've switched out the stockers on all my previous Hondas & sold most of them (except for my '99 Si) and it's never been an issue. The Honda dealer wouldn't take my '14 Accord when I tried to trade it on the CTR because it did not have the stock wheels & they could not "Honda Certify" it, but the Toyota dealer snatched it right up.
I can afford new wheels while keeping the OEM, and that is most likely what I will do.

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can afford new wheels while keeping the OEM, and that is most likely what I will do.
Didn’t mean to imply that you needed to sell them to buy a new set. Just said that because I’ve been in that situation before. Good luck finding an aftermarket set!
Sponsored