Those that switched to 18's: any change in steering feel?

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I've read that one of the advantages of the factory 20's is that they make the steering feel stiffer and more direct. I've also read that some think that wider tires on 18's actually give you stiffer steering, since there's more contact patch. I'm at the point where I need to replace my stock Conti's, and I'm debating between 20 inch Michelin Pilot Sport 4s on the factory 20's in OEM spec (245/30) and getting the same Michelins with 18 inch wheels and 265/30 spec tires. I suppose that I could also get wider tires with the 20's as well, but I'm not sure how they'd fit.

My primary goal is the stiffest, most direct steering feel, with zero regard for comfort. Thoughts on which combo would be best for that?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
19s seem to be the way to go, you gain some sidewall but don't loose as much steering sharpness as 18s.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
19s seem to be the way to go, you gain some sidewall but don't loose as much steering sharpness as 18s.
Appreciate the feedback. As mentioned, I'm not super interested in the sidewall aspect. I'm mostly focused on stiff, direct steering feel and good traction. I'm currently running polyurethane suspension bushings, with the factory rubber band tires, with the car constantly in +R mode, on NY streets. I like the stiff ride.

I suppose I'm just wondering if the loss of steering sharpness is a real thing with the 18's, or if we just assume that it is? Most people run much wider tires with 18's, so I'm wondering if that compensates.

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hum, then weight maybe more what you should look at.

The 2021 LE just set a track record and Honda has it on lightweight forged 19" wheels.

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
I've read that one of the advantages of the factory 20's is that they make the steering feel stiffer and more direct. I've also read that some think that wider tires on 18's actually give you stiffer steering, since there's more contact patch. I'm at the point where I need to replace my stock Conti's, and I'm debating between 20 inch Michelin Pilot Sport 4s on the factory 20's in OEM spec (245/30) and getting the same Michelins with 18 inch wheels and 265/30 spec tires. I suppose that I could also get wider tires with the 20's as well, but I'm not sure how they'd fit.

My primary goal is the stiffest, most direct steering feel, with zero regard for comfort. Thoughts on which combo would be best for that?
The sidewall size and stiffness are what will have the greatest impact on steering directness. Most people on the forum run 40-series to increase the ride comfort and protect the wheels, however this causes a slight reduction in perceived directness of the steering.

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not to be a negative Nancy but you're probably destroying your rims driving around on NY streets in +R mode. I had the stock 20's on for about 1700 miles and two were already a little off, when I was swapping them out the guy in the shop was showing me how they weren't 100%, kind of hard to explain. Probably a technical term that I don't know for it. You could notice there was a slight deviation in the circle of the wheel. Nothing terrible, nothing I felt driving, but you can figure that eventually the rims might crack on that pothole you can't avoid. I can give you the shop's contact if you want to ask him about the Type R wheels he's seen get beat up, apparently he's seen a few.

That being said, after the swap to the 18's (Motegi MR145 +35 with Conti DWS 06 245/40/18), it's not a massive difference. The car is still great to drive and has great grip on turn in, granted I'm not tracking it so at the very limit you might feel that the car isn't optimal. The biggest change I've noticed is it chrips the tires really easily going into 2nd if I'm gunning it in 1st, but if I got a set of summer tires I'm sure that'd be different. My friend also said that the car still feels great, although he said the tires cut out a lot of tire noise if that's something that matters for you. I also cut off 10lbs/wheel, the weight savings might be playing to my favor a bit in the handling department.

Another factor to consider, maybe even more than sidewall, is the offset. The OEM tires have a huge offset, +60. This is why the Motegi M2R924 is popular, it has something like a +53 offset. It's also a 19" wheel, so you can get more meat on it. Here's a link explaining offset and what it does:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...5683452/smaller-lighter-wheels-hurt-handling/

Flawless

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type-R #41999
Not to be a negative Nancy but you're probably destroying your rims driving around on NY streets in +R mode. I had the stock 20's on for about 1700 miles and two were already a little off, when I was swapping them out the guy in the shop was showing me how they weren't 100%, kind of hard to explain. Probably a technical term that I don't know for it. You could notice there was a slight deviation in the circle of the wheel. Nothing terrible, nothing I felt driving, but you can figure that eventually the rims might crack on that pothole you can't avoid. I can give you the shop's contact if you want to ask him about the Type R wheels he's seen get beat up, apparently he's seen a few.

That being said, after the swap to the 18's (Motegi MR145 +35 with Conti DWS 06 245/40/18), it's not a massive difference. The car is still great to drive and has great grip on turn in, granted I'm not tracking it so at the very limit you might feel that the car isn't optimal. The biggest change I've noticed is it chrips the tires really easily going into 2nd if I'm gunning it in 1st, but if I got a set of summer tires I'm sure that'd be different. My friend also said that the car still feels great, although he said the tires cut out a lot of tire noise if that's something that matters for you. I also cut off 10lbs/wheel, the weight savings might be playing to my favor a bit in the handling department.

Another factor to consider, maybe even more than sidewall, is the offset. The OEM tires have a huge offset, +60. This is why the Motegi M2R924 is popular, it has something like a +53 offset. It's also a 19" wheel, so you can get more meat on it. Here's a link explaining offset and what it does:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...5683452/smaller-lighter-wheels-hurt-handling/
Driving/living in NY and riding on the 20's is the best feeling if you enjoy anxiety. Felt like with the 20s I was riding on Glass wheels lol 18s have been good to me. Especially when matched with meaty snow tires for the season and continental GTs for April - October

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
18's change the whole dynamic of this car. Its still an amazing drive, but the 20's the car felt predictable. With 18's at higher speeds i don't feel the road anymore. Its like i lost the control...

This is comparing 20's summer to 18 all seasons....

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag