This is why you don’t let old cars sit...

OP
OP
charleswrivers

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can't decide on the new Z. I was impatient and got my 2020 FC3 for a daily-upgrade (from a 2010 corolla) but I was strongly considering holding off and just buying the Z when I can get a test drive in, if I like it. I was hyped about the latest Supra until I saw one up close. I am not so hyped anymore. Sure they're a great car, I guess, but I'll stick with my other cars. I just don't like the lines at all. Will see how I feel about a Z when I can see it in person. So far I like the pictures.

Wiring gremlins can be a real PITA. Get one of the RC div homies to borrow a Fluke 289 off the boat and help you chase it down (guessing you're sub from the GA loc.) Otherwise grab a decent DMM and start back-probing. I'd have to dig through the Z32 fsm but most coils have a constant 12v, a ground, and a swiched 5v for trigger. if you've got ground and 12v constant, it's going to be trigger wire so start by disconnecting the negative battery terminal, grab the FSM pinout for the trigger wire to that coil, and verify continuity between ECU and coil-plug. if you're missing 12V then do the same for that instead. The 12v usually is branch-connected at some point though

I had a broken CAS wire in one of my S13's that was inside the insulation. It'd come loose over a bump and kill the car then when it sat/settled would reconect enough to let me get it started. Took me forever to find. I did a continuity test and figured out the resistance between ECU and dizzy plug was strangely high and started jiggling harness from A-B until I could get it to actually go open and cut/replaced the wire in that section.

Almost sounds like a goddamn mouse was in your shit chewing on wires while you were on tour.
Yep… I’ve done the CAS connector before when that harness failed maybe 2-3 years ago and it randomly stopped wanting to start. I do have a fluke and checked the coils and that one read fine. Swapped anyways and the dead cylinder didn’t move. I have a friend with a 300zx in town I was going to see if I could borrow his PTM and just do a quick swap in and see if that cures it. Otherwise, it’s the plug (and I really doubt that) interconnecting wiring, ECU or maybe something related to a fusible link. It’s not something I expect either but it’s also in the circuit. I’ve poured through the FSM and found the ignition system troubleshooting guide. Read a pile online. My connectors on the PTM look good but they’re a culprit for an occasional down cylinder, though a poor idle (mine isn’t perfect though at times) or starting failure(mine starts fine) seems more common. Or… ECU. Mines the original, modified for EPROMs as I have 740cc injectors.

Anyways, going to see if that fella is a on duty today or not. A PTU swap out s a 5 minute job and it’d be a free check to borrow his. My goodie box of Z parts I’ve amassed doesn’t have one. Thanks for the suggestions.
Sponsored

OP
OP
charleswrivers

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not the PTM… (sigh). That was the last easy thing I had in my bag of easy things… short of a failed plug that seems extraordinarily unlikely. Fingers still crossed.

Fred_Farkle

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
So I just got back from sea a couple days of days ago. My 300zx had a problem I didn’t have time to track down right before I left that turned out to be one of the wastegates that got tweaked and was supposedly tip top. A few hundred bucks my old lady spent on it and getting it back and forth from a shop that specialized in older cars and exotics. Figure it was money well spent.

So I went to go for a joy ride and as soon as I started the car I was frowning. It was just off and rough and figured it was down a cylinder. I did run it around the block to confirm my suspicion and do the ole “pull a plug wire and find out” trick. Yep. One was down. I see then there’s a little smoke coming from behind the dash. FML I think... shut off the car and pull a battery cable. Pull the center dash out... as I figure it’s the aftermarket radio... though it smells
more musty than an electrical smell. I pull everything out radio-wise but with it all out, reconnect the battery to see how it goes. Nothing. Crank the car to give up and pull it in the garage... starter won’t engage with the flywheel on my first try or two. Finally get it to fire up and pull it into the garage, pull the battery cable, curse at the car... walk away.

Three individual gremlins. That’s a new record for me.

That is all! ?
I have owned two 20+ year old Hondas (an Acura Integra and a Civic) and they both started to fall apart. The Acura just rusted away [Brake Lines rusted out and suddenly let go the a commute home... WEEEEEEE!) but it later got towed while in gear which made the timing belt jump a few teeth and, then, finally break, so that was it's final mishap.

The Civic just started to break down. Radiator (to be expected), Head Gasket (no damage to the engine), the Distributor went around the same time (I have NEVER had that go before), the Gas Tank rusted out and, finally, all four Brake Rotors and Pads needed to be replaced at the same time.

The Honda dealer gave me $500 for it against a new 2107 Civic Si.

OP
OP
charleswrivers

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
On a whim… I pulled my plugs. Plug in 3 was bad… read the resistor on both sides on the insulator… so the insulator failed somewhere internal to the plug. Goes to show 1) don’t always jump down the same path that has been right many times before and 2) if something wasn’t broke and it got touched… then is broke… 99% of the time it’s what got touched. I bet the dropped the plug and just stuck it in. I figured I looked since the wife told me in an email they said the “plugs were fine”… so I assumed they were touched.

Oh well. Cars running as hard as it can with its present wastegates. Now I have to put my interior back together and decide if I’m going to put it in front of the MWR on base and see if someone who just got a bonus check wants to give me 1/3 or more the cost of a new Z or I’ll hang onto the thing for a few more years. At least I can wear these new tires out I just put on riiiight before I left a couple months back while I ponder these, and other, life choices. And wait to see if it wants to ever catch on fire. Again.?
Sponsored