This infotainment unit is horrible so far!

illeggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sensing
I feel like I'm one of the lucky ones! I have the Touring (made in Canada) and have had no issues.
I'm curious if it was a certain number of cars off the production line? And from which plant? My VIN ends in 100707
Although I do have the subwoofer rattle!
I am having infotainment issue (screen blinking on and off) and mine is an EX-T with sensing. I hope it doesn't get any worse.
Sponsored

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
When the head unit works, it's just fine. But this happened today...not amused.

civicT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
When the head unit works, it's just fine. But this happened today...not amused.

That happened to me a couple days ago, first the home screen blinked on and off, then it went to the green screen, then rebooted itself and corrected. As someone else posted, the unit seems to have some type of issue about every five days, the rest time of the works fine. This is very concerning, to say the least.

My2016Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing - Modern Steel Metallic / Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys!

New to the forum. I'm sad to say that I'm a new member on this forum because the car has so many issues and I found this forum through Google searches.

I'm excited (yet sad) because after reading through 9 pages of this thread, I get to report a glitch that I don't believe anyone else has seen yet.

My Touring model infotainment system failed in epic fashion yesterday.

When I first turned the car on, I immediately knew something was not right. The infotainment system seemed to take extra long to boot up, and the wall paper looked different. After it did eventually boot up, I started driving. While driving, I went to turn on the radio and it was not working. I realized the car had no audible sounds at all. I could not turn on the radio or SXM and the buttons on the screen did not make any beeps when pressed. I tried to hold down the audio button for 5 seconds to reboot the system. The system did prompt me if I wanted to reboot, but every time I selected yes, it would just return me to the previous screen.

At this point, I was pretty annoyed and figured I'll just finish driving to my destination rather than try and pull over to restart the car. Upon reaching my destination is when things got really interesting.

I turned my car off and the infotainment system was still on. I exited the car and locked the doors, and the infotainment system was still on. I'm outside the car with the doors locked and I can still see the infotainment screen turned on!

At this point I'm really annoyed. I'm thinking to myself, wtf. I can't leave the screen on all day/night. It'll drain my battery. It's Easter Sunday and no dealerships are open. I thought I was going to have to drive home and pull the battery cables when I got home.

I walk into the store to run my errand and got back to my car within 10 mins. By that time the infotainment system had turned off and I was so relieved.

My guess is that the car has a cutoff switch on all electronics after a short amount of time. If you leave your door open for a while, you'll notice that the lights all turn themselves off after a certain amount of time. This is probably so you don't accidentally drain your battery. My best guess is this cutoff switch turned my infotainment off after a few minutes.

Once i started my car up again, everything was back to normal.

This infotainment system is the most bug ridden piece of software I've ever seen in any car.

The manufacture date in my door jamb is 02/'16 so my understanding is I have the most up to date infotainment software.

There is absolutely zero chance this car will make any magazine's list of most reliable cars next year. I believe infotainment systems are taken into major considerations when surveying for reliability rankings nowadays.
Hey Warren, welcome to the forum. I'm right there with ya!

I had almost exactly the same thing happen to me yesterday, except it started with bluetooth issues during a call and bluetooth subsequently not connecting while driving. I pulled over to address it, but a reboot of both the phone and system didn't fix it. I had to delete the phone in the bluetooth settings and pair again and it seemed to connect successfully but the unit was slow. Then the rest was just as you described above.

By the way, I do have the "Memory Refresh" setting set to "ON" as it was by default on this build (It reads "The Android OS requires an automatic reboot to enhance performance of the system. This occurs at a set time when the vehicle is in Accessory Off"). On a prior build, 1.F185.57, it was "Off" by default and it was more stable after I enabled it.

This civic was purchased 3/26/16, build date 3/16. Infotainment system: Android Version 4/2/2, Build number 1.F186.67

In case anyone is curious, there are 3 different ways to get the build number:

1. Easiest way: Home (left side) - Info - Menu (left side) - System/Device Information - System Info
2. Provides more details: Home (left side) - Settings - System - Scroll to bottom - Detail Information - Scroll to bottom - About Device - Scroll to bottom
3. Provides same details as #2: From Any screen, drag down from top, tap on the sliders icon next to the date/time, scroll to the bottom, tap "About Device", Scroll to bottom

It seems OK so far today, but I haven't driven much as I'm working from home today. I did drive it around the block at lunch and all was ok. If it does happen again, I'm definitely taking her in for service and if they don't have a fix I'll be asking them to call their tech line and/or calling the Honda customer service line

Honda needs to be made well aware that this is a problem and that many of us are experiencing this, not just a few. The more reports of this they get, the sooner they will get this resolved.

mycivicisalemon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
I purchased my EX-T last Thursday. XM has not worked at all from Day 1. Screen displays "Check Tuner" whenever I try to go to XM. I called Sirius and they say it's good to go on their end. I'm taking to dealer tomorrow.

Then, tonight I had some extra time and started looking through the features better. As I was using the Carplay and went to maps, the entire screen turned dark grey, white, and black. The color was grey/black/white on the car screen and my phone, which it has never done on my phone before and I use the maps all the time for workplace travel. No color at all. had to disconnect my phone from USB, turn system off, then back on to get back in order. Also, If I select Facebook or USA Today, etc from my phone it discontinues my radio play and takes me to my iphone music. That makes no sense at all! I saw on this site and others that there were some similar complaints about this, but was told this was a small % of Civics that had encountered these infotainment issues. Either I have bad luck OR that is not the case and more have issues than they have admitted.

This is my 10th Honda that I have owned in 23 years and I've already had more issues than I have had in any of the previous cars combined. I'm loyal to Honda, but this is making me dislike this car entirely.

Has anyone had this unit replaced and had it actually fix their issue? I'm really starting to regret trading in my '13 Accord EXL for this Civic now.
Mine was updated with a band-aid (software update) which did nothing. I need a NEW UNIT...not a band-aid. I regret my trade in too ('15 Civic EX)

mycivicisalemon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
That happened to me a couple days ago, first the home screen blinked on and off, then it went to the green screen, then rebooted itself and corrected. As someone else posted, the unit seems to have some type of issue about every five days, the rest time of the works fine. This is very concerning, to say the least.
Same thing thats happening to mine. Not all the time but when it acts up it really acts up. This part is not cheap ($2,500) and Honda is not going to easily just replace the unit. We will be fed update after software update till the warranty expires before they give us new rectified units. Trust me. It's the Honda way (treats its customers after they take their money).

Warren803

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Mine was updated with a band-aid (software update) which did nothing. I need a NEW UNIT...not a band-aid. I regret my trade in too ('15 Civic EX)
Unless you're experiencing physical issues with the infotainment unit, what is getting a new unit going to do? All the bugs are most likely software related so you're going to have the same issues with a new unit until Honda can develop the software bug fixes.

SethK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
This was on another thread, but applies to this one as well.

Piston Pin Clip Recall, Transmission Surge TSB, Infotainment Unit glitches, Flimsy hoods and roofs, etc., I still love my Civic. It is still really nice to look at and a good ride compared to all the cars I test drove while shopping. These are all just part of buying the first model redesign, I guess.
Exactly right. Granted, all annoyances and inconveniences we hope not to have but honestly, we all chose to be "Early Adopters" and as disappointed as I was to find out that my first Honda (Purchased a Honda trying to get away from GM's recalls) was involved in a recall I still LOVE my Civic. It's all a matter of getting in the right mindset and it helps to think about it this way:

Being an 'early adopter' does have its merits. It is nice not only because you are one of the first to have something not many others have, but you also get to drive a vehicle that looks like the newest model for much longer. Our current 2016 Civics will look like the 2017, 2018 models giving the appearance that you're driving a current year Civic for more years, while if I had bought the 2015 early to mid year last year and suddenly this beautifully redesigned model comes out in late 2015, I'd be kicking myself for having a brand new outdated looking model. Silly, right?

Anyway, buying the latest and 'greatest' of anything is always a bit of a gamble no matter what it is, or who the manufacturer is. Perhaps on my next purchase I will wait 6 months to a year after release before diving in, just to allow them to iron out the kinks and bugs (or maybe not). It's like beta-testing a new piece of software. We find the bugs, and this is the important part, REPORT the bugs so they can be addressed and make for a better product once they are. What's the incentive in doing this? Well, having something new and cool, the latest and greatest I suppose..

MuGeN PoWeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
i was able to get to this screen but could not find the install from untrusted sources.

Honda Civic 10th gen This infotainment unit is horrible so far! IMG_0669.JPG
Sponsored