This infotainment unit is horrible so far!

IndyHonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord EXL V6 coupe
I purchased my EX-T last Thursday. XM has not worked at all from Day 1. Screen displays "Check Tuner" whenever I try to go to XM. I called Sirius and they say it's good to go on their end. I'm taking to dealer tomorrow.

Then, tonight I had some extra time and started looking through the features better. As I was using the Carplay and went to maps, the entire screen turned dark grey, white, and black. The color was grey/black/white on the car screen and my phone, which it has never done on my phone before and I use the maps all the time for workplace travel. No color at all. had to disconnect my phone from USB, turn system off, then back on to get back in order. Also, If I select Facebook or USA Today, etc from my phone it discontinues my radio play and takes me to my iphone music. That makes no sense at all! I saw on this site and others that there were some similar complaints about this, but was told this was a small % of Civics that had encountered these infotainment issues. Either I have bad luck OR that is not the case and more have issues than they have admitted.

This is my 10th Honda that I have owned in 23 years and I've already had more issues than I have had in any of the previous cars combined. I'm loyal to Honda, but this is making me dislike this car entirely.

Has anyone had this unit replaced and had it actually fix their issue? I'm really starting to regret trading in my '13 Accord EXL for this Civic now.
Sponsored

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Welcome to the pathetic state-of-the-art of auto infotainment systems. When the parts for the production line start moving, the cars get built whether the infotainment code all works or not. Of course whoever you talked to said it's just a small % of Civics encountering infotainment issues. They always say that. But if you do some research you will find this is a large problem in the industry now and infotainment issues are a (the?) leading source of reliability problems for new car purchasers.

They won't have a fix. And they are likely to tell you to go to the dealer. But the only way this stuff will get fixed is for Honda to feel the pain. And lots of it. Suggest you call Honda In-Car Technology Support at 888-528-7876.

You can probably get your dealer to replace the head unit simply because they don't have anything else they can do for you. It may not fix your problem, but it is another way to apply pain to Honda on these issues. A warehouse full of used head units with no problems other than bad code will be painful, for sure.

firstblud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I highly doubt replacement will fix all the problems. It just buys them time until they find a software fix (hopefully) or another way to brush you off (let's hope not).

OP
OP

IndyHonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I rebooted the system last night and now can get XM radio. That's the good. The bad is that I still get screen fade to grey/black when using maps and other apps. I agree, I doubt we see a software/firmware update unless we hammer them with complaints.

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Expecting delivery any day now of my WOP Touring. Man am I worried about this infotainment system. I thought these bizarre issues were only being reported on the Touring trim! Other forums are ripe with Touring owners venting. It's such an important part of the driving experience that I'm almost afraid to take delivery. Wonder if there is any way to determine the scope of the problem. 1 in 1,000 cars? 1 in 100 cars? 1 in 10 cars?

If Honda knows would they share the information?

OP
OP

IndyHonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expecting delivery any day now of my WOP Touring. Man am I worried about this infotainment system. I thought these bizarre issues were only being reported on the Touring trim! Other forums are ripe with Touring owners venting. It's such an important part of the driving experience that I'm almost afraid to take delivery. Wonder if there is any way to determine the scope of the problem. 1 in 1,000 cars? 1 in 100 cars? 1 in 10 cars?

If Honda knows would they share the information?
Mine is EXT and having issues. Now I am having a problem that if connected phone to USB, if I go to any app on my phone it locks up my infotainment screen and says it can't locate music. I wasn't even looking for music and have no idea why it does that. And then it makes my phone go to my music instead of the app I was originally trying to open. Weird and frustrating...

Also have a friend with an EXT that has had issues as well as far as grey screen and glitching.

Whimsey12000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring MSM
Country flag
I feel like I'm one of the lucky ones! I have the Touring (made in Canada) and have had no issues.
I'm curious if it was a certain number of cars off the production line? And from which plant? My VIN ends in 100707
Although I do have the subwoofer rattle!

Last edited:

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I feel like I'm one of the lucky ones! I have the Touring (made in Canada) and have had no issues.
I'm curious if it was a certain number of cars off the production line? And from which plant? My VIN ends in 100707
Although I do have the subwoofer rattle!
Heard this afternoon that my Touring will be in tomorrow. When questioned the GM acknowledged that two of their Touring sales have had an infotainment breakdown. I've been over there a lot the last 3 weeks checking their yard for my car. (Yes, I'm retired) Think I have only seen 4-5 Touring's on their lot.

I hoping my Touring is late because they were fixing things. Maybe I'm a dreamer. Hopefully it is an early production thing. There I go dreaming again.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I got my Touring last night, so far my infotainment is fine.
I ended up with a lemon law case on a Hyundai though, because the infotainment was so bad it kept crashing. It was a windows CE based system. I hope that Honda is not using the same crappy system.

How long did you have your cars before it started messing up?
The Hyundai that went through Lemon law case messed up exactly 1 week from date of purchase and was messed up non stop from there.

Last edited:

Pat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
In the last month I've had a couple of annoyances with the system. It doesn't like trying to do too many things at once. Trying to connect my phone over Bluetooth, my wife's over USB, and my granddaughters iPad at once sent it into a tizzy. But with a reboot and completing one task at a time it's been fine. It's not perfect, but it's far from garbage. Some of the most vocal critics on this board don't even own one.

The system works fine, but it works like a modern semi buggy computer, not a reliable old washing machine. Reboot the dang thing every couple of weeks and enjoy it.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
In the last month I've had a couple of annoyances with the system. It doesn't like trying to do too many things at once. Trying to connect my phone over Bluetooth, my wife's over USB, and my granddaughters iPad at once sent it into a tizzy. But with a reboot and completing one task at a time it's been fine. It's not perfect, but it's far from garbage. Some of the most vocal critics on this board don't even own one.

The system works fine, but it works like a modern semi buggy computer, not a reliable old washing machine. Reboot the dang thing every couple of weeks and enjoy it.
How do you reboot it? I just got my Touring last night, and so far its fine.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just touch the virtual power button for a few seconds and a menu pops up asking if you want to restart the unit. It takes a minute or so to restart and you're right back where you were, working fine.
Isn't the same thing accomplished when you shut off the car and then restart in the morning?
If not, then I'll make sure I turn the power off manually and restart it periodically

Pat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I don't think shutting the car off and restarting does the same thing. The rebooting takes a fair bit longer than when the system turns on with the car. When you shut off the car it appears the system goes into the equivalent of a sleep mode on a tablet or laptop.
Sponsored