This could have been my civic...

OP
OP

Kahin Dur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Great.. Now ur correcting the crap my phone is respelling...
Guys.. lets focus on the issue... f*king squirrels, not phone autocorrects. I've seen one too many "your" instead of "you're" on the internet. It is here to stay, like rap. Might as well just lay there and take it, Dolly Parton style ;)

As far as my squirrel problem goes, garage or not, once winter hits, they are gonna find solace anywhere they can, be it for a week or for a minute. Lesson is to pop the hood once a week to check if "what's yours is mine" as*holes are back in the hood.

Sad that not only our cars are not safe out there, now they are not safe at our own house!
Sponsored

izitnick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2017 Civic EX CVT Hatch
Country flag
Guys.. lets focus on the issue... f*king squirrels, not phone autocorrects. I've seen one too many "your" instead of "you're" on the internet. It is here to stay, like rap. Might as well just lay there and take it, Dolly Parton style ;)

As far as my squirrel problem goes, garage or not, once winter hits, they are gonna find solace anywhere they can, be it for a week or for a minute. Lesson is to pop the hood once a week to check if "what's yours is mine" as*holes are back in the hood.

Sad that not only our cars are not safe out there, now they are not safe at our own house!
Yeah, let's get back on track!

I'm fortunate to have never had this happen, in my years of parking outside or inside. My neighborhood has some bunnyrabbits every now and then but there's not too many - I think we have some outside housecats that keep them and the squirrels at bay. Never seen a raccoon in my neighborhood, thank God. My old cat in the house I grew up in was an outside cat and would fight a pitched battle with them at least one night a week from them trying to get into our trash cans.

I did read a tip once that recommended giving your hood a good couple whacks before you turn it on can scare out any critters that might have found a place to sleep. Obviously this won't help with any quick wire chews, but it might help scare out Thumper or Rocky before you turn the car on. I think we know what can happen when a critter tries to exit the way they came in with the engine running... it looks like a crime scene.

SDBap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 4Dr Touring 2016
Country flag
I work in an area with numerous bunnies and usually park in a garage, but this last week I left my car outside for a couple days. When I started up my 2016 Civic I made it about a hundred feet before I started getting error messages on my dash - Transmission errors, Hill Start Assist errors, Brake System errors, etc. The car also lost all power and ran very roughly. I pulled over and called for a tow to the dealer about 80 miles away. The dealer opened up the skid plate under the vehicle and a bunny fell out to the ground and hopped around the shop before going off into the woods... The bunny had ate through one of the wiring harnesses on the underside of the car - chewing through all but two wires. The dealer was able to repair the wire rather than have to replace it, which cost me about $300 vs a $1200 replacement.

The dealer said to place some moth balls in ziplocks in the engine compartment to keep the rabbits out, and I also heard to leave the hood open when it is parked to not make the engine compartment as cozy for the rodents. Does anyone have other advice to keep the critters out other than always keeping it garaged (as that isn't always an option)...?

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
I work in an area with numerous bunnies and usually park in a garage, but this last week I left my car outside for a couple days. When I started up my 2016 Civic I made it about a hundred feet before I started getting error messages on my dash - Transmission errors, Hill Start Assist errors, Brake System errors, etc. The car also lost all power and ran very roughly. I pulled over and called for a tow to the dealer about 80 miles away. The dealer opened up the skid plate under the vehicle and a bunny fell out to the ground and hopped around the shop before going off into the woods... The bunny had ate through one of the wiring harnesses on the underside of the car - chewing through all but two wires. The dealer was able to repair the wire rather than have to replace it, which cost me about $300 vs a $1200 replacement.

The dealer said to place some moth balls in ziplocks in the engine compartment to keep the rabbits out, and I also heard to leave the hood open when it is parked to not make the engine compartment as cozy for the rodents. Does anyone have other advice to keep the critters out other than always keeping it garaged (as that isn't always an option)...?
Leaving the hood open when it's parked??!! Yeah, no thanks. I'd ask the dealer, how many cars do you see with their hoods open when parked (not counting auto shows/car meets/etc.)?? This shouldn't be a problem, and there should definitely be a better solution.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

SDBap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 4Dr Touring 2016
Country flag
Mine is a Touring, 1.5T...

Many folks leave the hoods up overnight while parked in their driveways in these parts due to the rodents making themselves at home - its a rural area and we do have lots and lots of rabbits this year... It makes sense because the rabbits are looking for a place to hang out where they will feel protected and secure, and by opening the hood they are a bit more exposed.

Kasai808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
One car outside and one in the garage. Came out last week to the Audi and heard a kitten meow somewhere under. Looked under and saw this. The more I tried to get it out, the more it climbed up into the under tray. Decided to forgo driving it and took the X. Since I live in HI, it was more scared than it was cold, so no problems here with critters.

Honda Civic 10th gen This could have been my civic... IMG_1444.JPG

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag

DKL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Challenger Hellcat. '06 Z4 '97 Supra '18 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had squirrels mess up my Elantra GT last winter, and I was popping the hood at least once a week, and shampooing under there once a month or so. They still built a nest on my cabin air filter, and chewed some wires, causing one cylinder to misfire. I spent over $600 in diagnostics to find/fix the problem :mad:
Sponsored