This 0-60 timer works quite well

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
This is a short version of my experimentation & trials.

I read good reviews about the BAFX OBD2 Bluetooth reader so I got one on Amazon. Then used the Torque Pro app which said it could use either GPS or the vehicle’s speed sensors for speed readouts.

I was getting very slow 0-30 & 0-60 times. Also had to overshoot the 0-30 timer & get to about 43mph in order to even get a reading, & go to about 75mph to get a 0-60 timer reading. And the 0-30 and 0-60 were both 12.6 seconds on the same run for example. Obviously something was wrong.

I don’t know how the app chooses which source (ECU or GPS) to use for the speed when doing a 0-60 run, but apparently it wasn’t choosing properly. I manually turned off the GPS in my tablet & smartphone that I was using. The app then had no choice but to use the speed from the vehicle's sensors/ECU. That solved the problem.

I first played around with this setup on the Civic. The end result was I did four 0-60 runs, 2 on one day & 2 the following day.
7.67, 7.43, 7.38, 7.38 seconds.

Obviously I had no idea how accurate this was. But my plan from the beginning was to compare times with my other car which has a data logger. I did several 0-60 runs & tried to cover a range of times. The car's data logger time is the first column & the OBD2 reader with Torque Pro is the second column.

Car -- OBD2
5.4 -- 5.40
5.3 -- 5.26
9.7 -- 9.65
6.8 -- 6.85
8.9 -- 8.88
8.3 -- 8.30

Rounding off the OBD2 readings to one decimal point they are the same as the car‘s data logger, except for that 6.85 sec time which rounded off the other way. It's anybody's guess which is the more accurate. A tenth of a second accuracy is all I’ve ever seen in any published stats for 0-60mph, so rounding to one decimal point seems OK with me.

I’ll have to try the Civic again when the roads are cleaner & hopefully get a bit closer to 7 seconds. There were a couple times when the Traction Control light briefly flashed when taking off at WOT. Even though the road looked clean, apparently there was a bit of residual salt or dirt in some areas left over from a somewhat recent snowfall. The cold weather probably didn’t help with traction either, letting hard tires spin on cold pavement.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Daniel644

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan, 2003 Trailblazer LS, 1999 Pontiac Firebird
Country flag
GPS speed is basically bullcrap when using cell phones, cell phones don't pole GPS locations frequently enough to ever give an accurate speed and even then under the best of conditions most current cell phones (broadcom released a new GPS chip starting in some 2018 cell phones) are only accurate to 16 feet at best (the new broadcom chips drop that to about a foot) so definitely never trust that.

as for the Torque app try from the Gear in the lower left of the apps homescreen click that then click Settings, chose Special Settings/Options, check the box for "do not use GPS for distance calculations", my guess is that should be the way to disable the use of the GPS for those given that they are essentially distance calculations.

OP
OP
BriteBlue

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
GPS speed is basically bullcrap when using cell phones, cell phones don't pole GPS locations frequently enough to ever give an accurate speed and even then under the best of conditions most current cell phones (broadcom released a new GPS chip starting in some 2018 cell phones) are only accurate to 16 feet at best (the new broadcom chips drop that to about a foot) so definitely never trust that.

as for the Torque app try from the Gear in the lower left of the apps homescreen click that then click Settings, chose Special Settings/Options, check the box for "do not use GPS for distance calculations", my guess is that should be the way to disable the use of the GPS for those given that they are essentially distance calculations.
Most consumer GPS devices only update once per second. The pro devices can do 10Hz or 20Hz, but those get expensive. So I thought why not use the vehicle's sensors if possible. However it seems a lot of OBD2 readers/scanners and apps only use GPS. The GPS in my cell phone will go down to 3 meters (about 10 feet) however it takes a while to lock into 9 or 10 satellites in order to do that, but it still doesn't refresh at 10Hz or 20Hz.

From the Torque forum regarding the Torque Pro app - “It’s a 0-60mph timer – and it automatically uses the most accurate system available when it does the test.” It my case that wasn't happening so I did shut off the GPS function but did it in the tablet & phone.

The BAFX OBD2 Bluetooth reader is typically rated right up there with other readers/scanners that cost 3-4 times as much. I'm glad I got it.

After I did some testing I bought one of those $4.95 OBD2 readers from ebay from a USA seller. It worked with the free Torque Lite app. However with Torque Pro the OBD2 reader would pair with my tablet & phone but would not connect. It just sat there "connecting to bluetooth" but never did. I'm presuming Torque Pro recognized that the cheap reader did not have the ability to use all of the Pro's functions & therefore did not connect.

The BAFX reader along with Torque Pro appears to work quite well.

OilChange123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX CVT
Country flag
This is a short version of my experimentation & trials.

I read good reviews about the BAFX OBD2 Bluetooth reader so I got one on Amazon. Then used the Torque Pro app which said it could use either GPS or the vehicle’s speed sensors for speed readouts.

I was getting very slow 0-30 & 0-60 times. Also had to overshoot the 0-30 timer & get to about 43mph in order to even get a reading, & go to about 75mph to get a 0-60 timer reading. And the 0-30 and 0-60 were both 12.6 seconds on the same run for example. Obviously something was wrong.

I don’t know how the app chooses which source (ECU or GPS) to use for the speed when doing a 0-60 run, but apparently it wasn’t choosing properly. I manually turned off the GPS in my tablet & smartphone that I was using. The app then had no choice but to use the speed from the vehicle's sensors/ECU. That solved the problem.

I first played around with this setup on the Civic. The end result was I did four 0-60 runs, 2 on one day & 2 the following day.
7.67, 7.43, 7.38, 7.38 seconds.

Obviously I had no idea how accurate this was. But my plan from the beginning was to compare times with my other car which has a data logger. I did several 0-60 runs & tried to cover a range of times. The car's data logger time is the first column & the OBD2 reader with Torque Pro is the second column.

Car -- OBD2
5.4 -- 5.40
5.3 -- 5.26
9.7 -- 9.65
6.8 -- 6.85
8.9 -- 8.88
8.3 -- 8.30

Rounding off the OBD2 readings to one decimal point they are the same as the car‘s data logger, except for that 6.85 sec time which rounded off the other way. It's anybody's guess which is the more accurate. A tenth of a second accuracy is all I’ve ever seen in any published stats for 0-60mph, so rounding to one decimal point seems OK with me.

I’ll have to try the Civic again when the roads are cleaner & hopefully get a bit closer to 7 seconds. There were a couple times when the Traction Control light briefly flashed when taking off at WOT. Even though the road looked clean, apparently there was a bit of residual salt or dirt in some areas left over from a somewhat recent snowfall. The cold weather probably didn’t help with traction either, letting hard tires spin on cold pavement.

Do you have a link to the ODB2 reader that you bought? We have some clear weather here for the next few days so I want test my 0-60 times. BTW do you have the 2.0 or 1.5t?