Thinking of getting money for my car at Carmax; should I turn it completely stock (minor mods/cosmetics installed)?

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I'm thinking of getting a 2021 Civic Hatchback Sport in a few weeks and I want to turn my current 2017 Civic Hatchback LX model in to Carmax to see what kind of price I can get from there. The car runs great, I've maintained it myself over the last three and a half years with everything put in the records with the mycarfax tool. Other than slight paint ships from rocks or other things, the car looks great too!

However, there are a few things that I have installed or taken off the car, all relatively minor and things I can change back to stock if I really need to.
  • Mishimoto Oil Catch Can (@Mishimoto )
  • Honeycomb Mesh Grille from Procivic (@procivic )
    • I really would not want to take this back to the stock grille. It took a lot of work to get it on haha. Plus, it just looks cool!
  • Interior LED lights (map, roof (dome), and trunk) from TypeRLEDS (@TypeRLEDs )
  • I also removed the bottom panel covering the engine oil and transmission oil pans. It was such a hassle every time when changing them that I eventually just removed it entirely
  • I also just got new tires, but I'm sure they'll be happy about that instead of caring.

It's my first time trading in a car at Carmax for money. If anyone has any experience on this topic, it would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Carmax doesn't look that thoroughly at the car right now - due to Covid - and they're smart - I had mine appraised with $350 OZ wheels on it, instead of the stock sport 18s, and they didn't dock me for it like a dealer probably would. Don't think they'd care about any of those mods.

Carmax is great, the offer has always been better than expected (have taken 3 cars there, sold two). I should have sold them the third but got lazy when dealer matched it.

OP
OP
Dario1101

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Carmax doesn't look that thoroughly at the car right now - due to Covid - and they're smart - I had mine appraised with $350 OZ wheels on it, instead of the stock sport 18s, and they didn't dock me for it like a dealer probably would. Don't think they'd care about any of those mods.

Carmax is great, the offer has always been better than expected (have taken 3 cars there, sold two). I should have sold them the third but got lazy when dealer matched it.
Thanks for the response! I sure hope they don't, but I can go in this week and see what they say. If they want me to make the oil catch can go back to stock I'll happily do that (and use that catch can in my new car). Anything else though, ugh.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Carmax is better than Carvana right now

FKemp

First Name
Felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Small modifications like these won't hurt, unless they change the appearance in major way (which yours don't).

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't know anything about those online car services like Carvana. I guess nothing beats an in person deal.
I wouldn't say that. Get a quote from both. They are both it or miss. Getting an online quote costs you nothing. :thumbsup:

FYI I have sold to both Carmax and Carvana. Carmwax was easy but Carvana was even less trouble.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
Why don't you sell it yourself privately? Obviously these other places pay low and mark them up on the flip, skip the middle man and put that extra money in your own pocket.

OP
OP
Dario1101

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for all the help guys! I used Kelly Blue Book to get a price estimate as to what my car would be worth, and Carmax gave me a great price in the upper part of that estimate range. I was quite happy, so I sold it to them. In regards to my mods, even my oil catch can, they didn't care at all. Eh, I guess I worried for nothing.

Why don't you sell it yourself privately? Obviously these other places pay low and mark them up on the flip, skip the middle man and put that extra money in your own pocket.
I definitely could have, but I don't know how to sell a car privately honestly and I'd rather not go through all that trouble. Car maintenance I can do, car selling I cannot. Haha.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I definitely could have, but I don't know how to sell a car privately honestly and I'd rather not go through all that trouble. Car maintenance I can do, car selling I cannot. Haha.
I've sold a half dozen or so cars privately in my life, it's really no trouble at all. Maybe there is more red tape in your area, I don't know. But I'd never give up thousands of dollars for the sake of convenience.

OP
OP
Dario1101

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've sold a half dozen or so cars privately in my life, it's really no trouble at all. Maybe there is more red tape in your area, I don't know. But I'd never give up thousands of dollars for the sake of convenience.
If I ever sell this new car (in my profile pic) then perhaps I'll reach out to you so you can teach me some tips on how to sell cars haha!

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If I ever sell this new car (in my profile pic) then perhaps I'll reach out to you so you can teach me some tips on how to sell cars haha!
Do your research on what would be a competitive price to ask. Create a good classified ad with clear pictures showing all of the exterior and interior. Maybe even a video as well. Post in on the popular marketplaces in your area.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Here's my experience with carmax, I almost always got a better price selling my car at the brand's dealer rather than selling it at carmax. I found that they always gave me wholesale prices and overall their offers for cars that i've had appraised by them were laguhable. Maybe your carmax is different but I would 100% go to the Honda dealer itself and see what kind of price they give you, good chance that it is better than Carmax. That and Carvana is a good option too, heard from mutiple people they give decent prices. But yeah, keep it mostly stock except for the minor stuff that no one cares about to answer your question.
Sponsored