Thinking about trading my CTR for a Ridgeline

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Appreciate the feedback. To clarify... I would give my CTR and $2k for a Ridgeline. I paid MSRP for my CTR 13 months ago and really haven’t driven it the way it wants to be driven.

I’ve looked around and would choose a Ridgeline over any other vehicle. I’ve considered a Tacoma but they seem heavy to me and I’m not doing any serious off-roading. I do get off the beaten path but the Ridgeline can handle all I do and is more comfortable.

Also, thought about selling outright but seems the dealer really want the CTR and is giving me what CarMax would, and really don’t want the hassle of private party. In the state of NM we have gotten less than 5 CTRs in total.
I'd sell it for cash at carmax and get a cool truck or suv,wrangler, Ridgeline is like the Camry or minivan of trucks
Sponsored

jetydosa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
If the dealer is giving you the same as what Carmax will give you, depending on the tax laws in your state , you'll be way better off trading.

Here in GA at least, you only pay sales tax on the difference in $ between the new car - trade is. Could be $1-2k savings there. Your state may be different though.

Ive been in all the modern trucks and the Ridgeline, while maybe not as "macho hey look Im super tough!!!" as the other trucks, its also the only one Id consider. Way more comfortable to DD. Unless you are doing some significant towing, the Ridgeline is the one IMHO.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Agree with the people above, Ridgeline is nice but you dont HAVE to stay in the Honda family unless you really prefer the Ridgeline over other contenders. If you don't need a truck bed, you could even get something like a slightly used Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 V8 and is pretty much capable anywhere offroad. It would have plenty of power to be somewhat fun and at the same time have really good offroad ability, lot of options out there besides this obviously. Something to think about.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think anyone brought this up...but if you want a truck, shouldn't you just get a real truck...Ridgeline is based off the Odyssey isn't it.
I could be way off, lol...but thought I remember hearing that.

If not the ridgeline, I like those new Colorados and of course the Tacoma...then there is the new rangers, but I think they new rangers are over priced at the dealers right now.

I sometimes think about getting a truck also.

Holtz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
New jeep gladiator? Thats what id get.

MYTYPE

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
You have to test drive the Ridgeline in order to make any comments or criticisms about it. Because it's a Unibody, the ride completely outperforms any of the competition. 280HP and gets up to 26MPG. Trunk in the bed and voted safest midsize truck. I agree, looks aren't for everyone, but if you did your homework, it was designed that way to help MPG. See CTR with 3 spoilers for airflow. Honda does these things. Very capable off road with a sand, mud and snow mode. Tacoma is rough with no head room, Ford sucks, and Colorado wheel base is too narrow. They are all body on frame.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
You have to test drive the Ridgeline in order to make any comments or criticisms about it. Because it's a Unibody, the ride completely outperforms any of the competition. 280HP and gets up to 26MPG. Trunk in the bed and voted safest midsize truck. I agree, looks aren't for everyone, but if you did your homework, it was designed that way to help MPG. See CTR with 3 spoilers for airflow. Honda does these things. Very capable off road with a sand, mud and snow mode. Tacoma is rough with no head room, Ford sucks, and Colorado wheel base is too narrow. They are all body on frame.
You are missing the point that the Ridgeline isn't fit for the purpose he wants.

For off roading I would pick something like a Tacoma/4Runner TRD Pro/Off Road or Colorado ZR2 or a Jeep. Both with a nice set of off road tires will do excellent outside the pavement. The ridgeline is pretty good for pavement and very light duty tasks.

MYTYPE

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
You are missing the point that the Ridgeline isn't fit for the purpose he wants.

For off roading I would pick something like a Tacoma/4Runner TRD Pro/Off Road or Colorado ZR2 or a Jeep. Both with a nice set of off road tires will do excellent outside the pavement. The ridgeline is pretty good for pavement and very light duty tasks.
See his original need list....The Ridgeline has several accessories available for his exact requirements.Camping, you can get a tent accessory that fits in the bed. Kayaking...you can get a Kayak attachment. Go check out the Ridgeline accessory options. Nothing else comes close.

ChrisB

PRL & Hondata Top Fan
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
It just depends on your needs, do what you need to do. CTR is pretty capable though. o_O

Honda Civic 10th gen Thinking about trading my CTR for a Ridgeline 38624579_10155583378892091_2167656924705718272_o

ChrisB

PRL & Hondata Top Fan
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Appreciate the feedback. I paid MSRP for my CTR 13 months ago and really haven’t driven it the way it wants to be driven.
Man...you need to take the CTR on a highway trip down to Sunspot in Cloudcroft...the roads leading up to it are so much fun for a car like the CTR! I'm in Ohio now and I miss New Mexcio roads like nothing else! So much open road you can have fun on.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
See his original need list....The Ridgeline has several accessories available for his exact requirements.Camping, you can get a tent accessory that fits in the bed. Kayaking...you can get a Kayak attachment. Go check out the Ridgeline accessory options. Nothing else comes close.
And the tacoma too but with more options

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's your money, your lifestyle and your call. The CTR is a fantastic car for what it is, no question. But it sounds like the Ridgeline might fit your needs better.
I agree with everything he said ^ find the vehicle that is best for your needs. I personally love the Ridgeline. I have a 2012 Sport that is our Trackside Support vehicle and its a great truck.

SixxSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
It might be worth making the Civic a little less fragile-

I just took mine out to the mountains for a weekend trip and it was super comfy and easily fit all our gear in the back. I must admit though, I was always nervous of scratching interior trims in the back, etc. But I’m considering “bullet proofing” the back. In essence, I’m going to have someone sew me a fitted trunk tray (I do have the oem trunk tray, but I don’t want to scuff it hahaha), with high side walls so nothing gets beat up on the interior. Easy to put in. Easy to pull out. Keeps everything looking right.

You can also add Rally Armor mud flaps to keep rock damage down. These have worked well for me so far.

Beyond that, there’s not much that can be done about the CTR ride height, but so long as you’re not trekking far off the beaten path, I get the feeling you could make it work.

What else concerns you? I’m sure there’s stuff you can do to keep the CTR looking fresh and whatnot. If you’re ultimately set on the ridge line, go for it- for me, it could never happen, simply because of the completely different handling and ride characteristics. I hate sitting up high. I hate not having a manual transmission. I hate how trucks handle, etc.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
"Nothing else comes close"...umm no, I dont hate the ridgeline (im a fan of the older one) but it certainly isnt the best in it's catagory imo. Only area where I would say the Ridgeline has a serious advantage is maybe the ride/drive because it's essentially a Honda Pilot with the back chopped off and replaced with a small bed. Something like a Colorado, Tacoma, Canyon, Ranger, are all much more capable off road and as a truck in general. And if you dont need a truck bed, then a Jeep, 4Runner etc. Are all good options as well.

ems657

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru STi, 2012 Infiniti G37 (sold)
Country flag
To OP, if you really want to stay in the Honda family but still go off road, how about the new Passport?
Sponsored