Streamfever

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR #15921, crystal white
Country flag
Took my 2018 CW CTR in for service and a salesman approached me expressing interest. I have been considering a Ridgeline but can’t afford two car payments. After speaking a bit they offered a Ridgeline RTL-T for my car and $2k.

I’ve had my CTR just over a year but not sure it fits my lifestyle. I do quite a lot of skiing, hiking, climbing, kayaking and camping, and feel the CTR is a little too fragile for these activities. Also, I need tires and rims so at a minimum I’m looking at $2k.

I bought a beater truck but don’t trust it as much as a new one. In New Mexico you can be off the grid real easily, miles from water, roads and people.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
It's your money, your lifestyle and your call. The CTR is a fantastic car for what it is, no question. But it sounds like the Ridgeline might fit your needs better.

jetydosa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
How much is the said Ridgeline selling for, is the real question.

jetydosa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
Sounds like a great deal then. The Ridgeline is a very nice vehicle.

If you are not using the CTR to its fullest, but would the Ridgeline - seems like the right move to me.

Edit - I read this to say they were going to give you the truck AND 2k for your car. I think you are saying they want the car AND 2k for the Ridgeline. If that's the case, I would try and get them to trade even. The CTR definitely much hotter selling car of the 2.

PrisonerOfDoom

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R #3166, '04 IS300, '01 Tacoma
Country flag
Sounds like a great deal then. The Ridgeline is a very nice vehicle.

If you are not using the CTR to its fullest, but would the Ridgeline - seems like the right move to me.

Edit - I read this to say they were going to give you the truck AND 2k for your car. I think you are saying they want the car AND 2k for the Ridgeline. If that's the case, I would try and get them to trade even. The CTR definitely much hotter selling car of the 2.
I agree with both of these statements.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
If you are going for Ridgeline because Honda will offer you more for the trade (which is probably what you’re thinking).
You mention that you are paying for your CTR - but the dealer isn’t giving you a Ridgeline. They will sell you one and give you $2K more for your trade. But, by just saying $2K doesn’t say anything. You won’t save $ on the Ridgeline and still get a great trade value. You’ll never get both.
Sell your car and then negotiate the price of your next one, it doesn’t have to be a Ridgeline.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Judging by what you said, the Ridgeline certainly seems to fit you more for your lifestyle. If they really are giving you a brand new Ridgeline RTL-T and $2K With it, now would be the perfect time to jump ship and get it, thats a great deal!

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
I would have to see the in writing details of this deal. When there appears to be no profit in the deal for the dealership, something isn't right.

B0nez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Si Coupe | '08 FJ Cruiser | '05 Jeep LJ
Country flag
My sister LOVED her 2014 Ridgeline and survived a near head on collision with a F150 without injury worse than some bruised bones. To look at the vehicle with the entire part of the front end from the center of the grill all the way to the drivers door ripped off you would never have guessed someone pretty much walked away from it.

She wanted another one but after looking at the new body styles and the changes made for the latest gen (body style, features, etc.) she was so disappointed what they turned the new Ridgeline into she ended up with a non-Honda crossover SUV. I agree with her, the older Ridgelines are awesome - not a fan of them now. It looks like someone chopped off the front end of a sedan and welded it to a generic run of the mill pickup.

scottjua

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Subaru STI, 2019 SGP Civic Type R
Country flag
No dealership ever in history makes a deal where the customer comes out ahead... never ever ever... You lose in some respect. They will resell your car for more than they're willing to give you for it almost certainly, and you will lose in depreciation alone on a ridgeline to make this deal so not worth your time in the first 6 months alone.

I'd pass hard.

If you REALLy have to have a truck, sell the CTR privately, and buy a new/used truck of some sort. save the leftover money.

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
Do what others have done: Take the CTR to a CarMax, or sell it privately. THEN go buy the car you want. I would agree with you that the CTR doesn't fit your needs, and good on you for realizing it. Good luck!

OP
OP

Streamfever

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR #15921, crystal white
Country flag
Appreciate the feedback. To clarify... I would give my CTR and $2k for a Ridgeline. I paid MSRP for my CTR 13 months ago and really haven’t driven it the way it wants to be driven.

I’ve looked around and would choose a Ridgeline over any other vehicle. I’ve considered a Tacoma but they seem heavy to me and I’m not doing any serious off-roading. I do get off the beaten path but the Ridgeline can handle all I do and is more comfortable.

Also, thought about selling outright but seems the dealer really want the CTR and is giving me what CarMax would, and really don’t want the hassle of private party. In the state of NM we have gotten less than 5 CTRs in total.

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
go for the ridgeline. CTR doesn't fit you. Get rid of it and get something better. :beer::nixon:

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Or a Tacoma trd, 4runner trd,tundra used raptor etc.
Something that's still cool
Sponsored