Thinking about 2019 Hyundai Veloster N

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
My car was rear ended on 11/17/2016 to the tune of $12 plus in damages. I wish that they totaled the car.... but they did not. The enthusiasm is just not there for a compromised car. I have been looking and frankly for fun factor and price ... why not ... is there any one else thinking the same? Figured I would send a trial balloon ... with 275 HP and 260 TQ FWD 2.0 L turbo 6 speed manual ... 2,800 lbs and a price since FWD in the 28 to 32 range... interesting .... thoughts?
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My car was rear ended on 11/17/2016 to the tune of $12 plus in damages. I wish that they totaled the car.... but they did not. The enthusiasm is just not there for a compromised car. I have been looking and frankly for fun factor and price ... why not ... is there any one else thinking the same? Figured I would send a trial balloon ... with 275 HP and 260 TQ FWD 2.0 L turbo 6 speed manual ... 2,800 lbs and a price since FWD in the 28 to 32 range... interesting .... thoughts?
Sure. There's been a few threads. Give it a test drive and let us know your thoughts. I have an aversion to Hyundai as a brand, but it posts some good numbers at a competitive price with an outstanding powertrain warranty... which is generally what all of Hyundai's models do.

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
You might want to rethink price....the N Veloster will probably have ADM the first couple of months. The N division is now under the former person in charge of BMW M division so you know the car will be good....

hollis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL 3rd Gen
Country flag
I am considering the veloster N as well. Watched and read tons of European reviews for the sibling i30N and they loved it, I think one of the reviewers had an orgasm during the shooting. Europe market knows hot hatches and their some heavy competition there, in general they have the i30 N as #3, Focus RS #2, and Type R #1. Thats an very impressive ranking. Veloster N short comings is the rear seats, its a 2+2 config and should be able to get 5'10" people back there.

Hyundai is NOT going to run a limited production, so there will be ample supply of them like the i30 N.

I am hoping the price (based on 2 sources) will be 25-27K MSRP, one was a video by Korean dealer that said the price will be 30 million WON ~ 27K MSRP. This would be an excellent price point, right between the SI and Type R.

Right now, I am eyeing the Veloster N, but hoping the refreshed SI fixes its cut comings (HP, rear bumper, infosystem, etc.) and maybe a Type R BASE version that more tame for daily drivers and around $30K.

djasonw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Toyota iM
Country flag
I am sure it will be a great car, but I can't get past the boy racer look of the car.

OP
OP

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
We are all boy racers ... bottom line. Honda fouled up by not putting the best engine in the CRX ... lets face it ...

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
You are probably going to take a big hit depreciation wise due to having a major collision like that(glad you are OK)If that's the case did you ever consider modifying your coupe? It's a really good platform to begin with + you like the styling. The 1.5T really responds well to modifications. A poster here has run 13.9 1/4 mile with his EX-T having nothing more than a flash/tune/down-pipe.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
I am sure it will be a great car, but I can't get past the boy racer look of the car.
If I get one it will be silver or something less racy.. I can't wait to see one in the flesh. Hopefully they make enough of them that ADM isn't an issue.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Rumor has it that Biermann and Hyundai may be working on an N version of one of their SUVS like the Tucson or Santa Fe. Here's a rendering of the Santa Fe N I found online:

Honda Civic 10th gen Thinking about 2019 Hyundai Veloster N 2019-hyundai-santa-fe-n-rendering-is-too-good-to-be-true-123514_1

I'm not an SUV guy but damn that looks good.

OP
OP

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You are probably going to take a big hit depreciation wise due to having a major collision like that(glad you are OK)If that's the case did you ever consider modifying your coupe? It's a really good platform to begin with + you like the styling. The 1.5T really responds well to modifications. A poster here has run 13.9 1/4 mile with his EX-T having nothing more than a flash/tune/down-pipe.

I am fairly lucky to have pretty good equity in the car. My payoff is in the high 13's and I am about to hit 14,000 miles on my Ex-T. I did suffer some sort of whip lash for sure ... both of my hands were numb after the incident ... the high seat back rest and front tilt on that rest was spot on for what had happened to me. I got pushed significantly front-forward in a straight line with my foot on the gas pedal ... so this spread the impact along many feet and I did not come into contact with the opposite side of the road for a front on ... so I am very very fortunate. Not sure why but the car seems faster ... maybe the push got some sort of thing going ... so LOL ... it's all good ... I just have no interest in mods and the car in general ... in some ways want to leave the entire scene behind me. I have flashbacks. Not everyone can recall in color and sound. I can still see and feel and "hear" the incident.

hollis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL 3rd Gen
Country flag
The body style definitely reminds me of my old 1989 CRX Si, maybe that's why I dont mind the shape. Hyundai has a Press release for the Veloster N, provides some insight on details.
http://www.hyundainews.com/models/hyundai-veloster-2019-veloster_n
Features by Trim : https://newspress-hyundai.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/original/31126-2019VELOSTERFeatures.pdf
Specs by Trim: https://newspress-hyundai.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/original/31127-2019VELOSTERSpecifications.pdf
the above are by non N trim, but provides wealth of valuable info. The N should be an extension on the R-Spec trim

Key things I noticed
- The rear headroom increased by 0.9 inches and rear legroom increased by 2.4 inches from the previous Gen.
- Hatch size goes from 15.5 to 19.9 volume, passenger volume remains same at 90 (GTI is 93.5, Civic is 97/98)
- R Spec Trim weights in at 2833-2921lbs, so good chance the Veloster N will be ~3000lbs, that is 300lbs less then the sibling i30 N that goes 0-60 in 6.1 secs so Veloster N should get in to the mid to high 5's

From couple other forums, the rumor is they will release just one Veloster N trim with 275HPs, but offer a Luxury Package (~$3K) as a option, it could include sunroof, heated steering wheel, power seats, sensing like safely features.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have always liked the veloster, even considered one for a while rather than a civic... but after the price release today... i'm not sure it's worth it over the civic...

A regular veloster makes less power than a base civic, but costs within a couple hundred dollars the same starting out. Move up to the R Spec Turbo and you're into EXT/EXL/ civic territory (assuming they haven't changed much with the engine over the last model the veloster isn't a whole lot faster to 60, but it could really shine in handling, don't know yet)

Then you step into a fully loaded Turbo model and you've hit the $29k mark... and that's not even the Veloster N... which puts the N model most likely just shy of Type R money for only slightly more than Si performance...

Obviously we'll know more once the reviews are out in terms of 0-60 times and handling, but from a price standpoint, you're not really getting much more bang for your buck (looking objectively at specs, features, and first gen performance) over the civic range.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've read a LOT of consumer reviews on Hyundai as a brand in general, of people saying Hyundai will try to screw you out of that powertrain warranty at every turn.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've read a LOT of consumer reviews on Hyundai as a brand in general, of people saying Hyundai will try to screw you out of that powertrain warranty at every turn.
I've actually heard that before too from Hyundai and Kia... they offer the warranty, but rarely ever want to uphold it when something happens. In fact, just read something that Hyundai/Kia was being investigated for certain wording they used regarding their warranty being voided if the car was repaired after an accident with anything other than hyundai genuine parts (which is illegal in the USA). they claimed it was just a miscommunication, but are being investigated for it anyway.
Sponsored