Things you wish you knew about your car on Day 1?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
No Honda Lane watch..I thought something wasn't set right in the settings until I saw my passenger side mirror and no camera ...WTF? would a little camera really add that much weight Honda! That was a nice feature on my former Si
I knew this going on, many of the blogs and YouTube videos on it mentioned that Honda removed the features to "save weight". Realistically the only thing I'd like is blind spot monitoring, but I think I have my mirrors set up perfectly (finally) after a years worth of trial and error :p

Can you expound?
From what I've read on here, the car will have trouble making more than 400 WHP due to the limitations of the fuel injection system Honda uses stock in the CTR. There are some companies trying to alleviate this (port injection/DI upgrades), though not too much has been released yet.

DeVo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #21399
Country flag
No Honda Lane watch..I thought something wasn't set right in the settings until I saw my passenger side mirror and no camera ...WTF? would a little camera really add that much weight Honda! That was a nice feature on my former Si
I knew this before purchase but I really miss it. My Si was a coupe and that camera was awesome for me

Bodhizefa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR and CBP CR-V
Country flag
I knew this going on, many of the blogs and YouTube videos on it mentioned that Honda removed the features to "save weight". Realistically the only thing I'd like is blind spot monitoring, but I think I have my mirrors set up perfectly (finally) after a years worth of trial and error :p

From what I've read on here, the car will have trouble making more than 400 WHP due to the limitations of the fuel injection system Honda uses stock in the CTR. There are some companies trying to alleviate this (port injection/DI upgrades), though not too much has been released yet.
Thank you for the explanation concerning the fuel injection! Also, I agree on the blind spot monitoring. I've had the car for 4 months or so, and I still struggle with the blind spots and my mirrors. I've ordered the Spoon wide angle mirrors, but they won't arrive for a while. The fight continues! It's the only thing I wish Honda had offered (other than 19" wheels) to make life a bit better overall.

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
Waiting delivery for my Type R today. Car is being shipped so no walk around the car. Just looking for some things you found out about your car later on that you wish you knew the first day you got it.

Also maybe somethings that you just want to share.

Thanks a bunch!
Give yourself, and the gearbox, time to break in. I had gear grinding issues a few times during the first 1-2k miles despite only driving a standard transmission all of my adult life. I think I was too loose-handed on occasion and also didn't drive the CTR with enough respect in general (my last car was a 2015 Si and the CTR is, well, the CTR, one hell of a machine and upgrade from a 9th gen Si). So, in summary, focus on how the car drives, adapt to it, you'll love it, but don't expect to drive it 100% comfortably right off the bat, give yourself time to really get a feel for it. I'm at ~4800 miles now and am getting a lot more confident.

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
totally agree. Disappointing to not have lane watch on the CTR

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Not having lane watch on a Type R is a feature - just means one more reason to not be on your phone and be driving properly.

Lane assist is capitulation to a distracted society - hard pass thanks - and one of the main things I like about the Type R. My M2 doesn't have that nanny shit on it either and I love it.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Not having lane watch on a Type R is a feature - just means one more reason to not be on your phone and be driving properly.

Lane assist is capitulation to a distracted society - hard pass thanks - and one of the main things I like about the Type R. My M2 doesn't have that nanny shit on it either and I love it.
Lane watch is a camera in your passenger side mirror that activates when you flash your turn signal right. The camera output displays on the car's infotainment system. If you're not distracted it can be immensely useful. If you are distracted it makes no difference.

Edit: lane keep assist will keep your car in its lane while adaptive cruise control will keep your car at a set following distance to the car in front of you adjusting the brakes. The combination of the two creates sort of an autopilot mode. Again, if you aren't distracted, neither of these kick in (unless you want them to). If you are distracted, the car ends up driving itself if the system is any good. I believe Honda's system is decent, Toyota could use some work, Tesla has a good system, Cadillac of all brands has the best.

Bodhizefa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR and CBP CR-V
Country flag

This was my belief before driving the Type R, which has a glaring blind spot that the shitty stock mirrors are not able to completely account for. At this point, I'd much rather have Blind Spot monitoring than have to do a 2-3 second visual scan plus look at my mirrors and pray. The 10th gen hatchback has a legit blind spot that requires either better mirrors with a wider panoramic view (which I've ordered from Spoon to help) or blind spot monitoring.

OceansX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport touring
Country flag
that the CVT was a limiting factor when tuning...

wili

First Name
Vili
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
ad to fuel injection... i think this is really limiting factor of a tune, but on the other hand, as it is, it is very close to what is the real limit of the car stock engine. Because when you go over 550nm stock clutch can slip on low rpm a bit when its very heated up (long journey and several hours long drive) also internals and heat management is questionable when you go over that 400hp mark. You can reach 400hp mark even with stock injection, but with european 100 octane fuel and custom tune.

regarding drive assists, in european civics we have all what was mentioned above, lane watch, lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control, park sensors, anti collision / autobrake system and so on... also civics here are a bit more expensive than in US and not sure if US customer would be willing to pay that much for that kind of car...

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
This was my belief before driving the Type R, which has a glaring blind spot that the shitty stock mirrors are not able to completely account for. At this point, I'd much rather have Blind Spot monitoring than have to do a 2-3 second visual scan plus look at my mirrors and pray. The 10th gen hatchback has a legit blind spot that requires either better mirrors with a wider panoramic view (which I've ordered from Spoon to help) or blind spot monitoring.
Where is the blind spot that you're talking about?

JESFromASC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2015 Silverado, 2007 Rabbit
Country flag
That you need to be very careful when putting the spurs to her the first few times and going for a pass...
I'd call steering a little twitchy.
And yep watch that rather small gas tank.
Sponsored