OP
OP

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Another thing I have noticed, if you have your headlights on Auto and turn on your wipers after about 30 seconds the headlights will turn on, then if you turn off your wipers (and it's not too dark out of course) the headlights turn back off, pretty nice since you are supposed to have your headlights on when it's raining anyway that it does it for you.

As I don't use remote start, are you saying it has climate controls build into the remote start? Otherwise it shouldn't turn on anything that's off when you turn off the car. Please clarify, regardless of finding out that it doesn't do what you thought. I'm trying to get more information on the remote start features.

EDIT: For the sake of information, the fans will always be on low, so long as the AUTO function is enabled. If you turn the fans (and AUTO) off completely before shutting off the ignition, they will (should) remain off until you manually enable them or turn AUTO back on. I always SYNC, so I don't know if that feature is doing anything I wouldn't want it to do.
when you remote start the car it appears to automatically want to bring the car cabin up to temp no matter the setting on your HVAC panel, you can have the HVAC OFF and it will still have the fans blasting while in remote start then the second you hit the Start Button on the dash (while you have your foot on the brake pedal) so that you can drive away it switches to whatever state you left the HVAC at when you turned off the car, so say you completely turned off the HVAC before shutting off the car, you remote start and it's around Freezing Outside, when you open the doors you will hear and feel the fans blowing full blast then you put your foot on the brake and press the Start/Stop button, the second you hit the button the fans stop because it has now switched to the state you left the HVAC on.
Sponsored

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
Another thing I have noticed, if you have your headlights on Auto and turn on your wipers after about 30 seconds the headlights will turn on, then if you turn off your wipers (and it's not too dark out of course) the headlights turn back off, pretty nice since you are supposed to have your headlights on when it's raining anyway that it does it for you.

when you remote start the car it appears to automatically want to bring the car cabin up to temp no matter the setting on your HVAC panel, you can have the HVAC OFF and it will still have the fans blasting while in remote start then the second you hit the Start Button on the dash (while you have your foot on the brake pedal) so that you can drive away it switches to whatever state you left the HVAC at when you turned off the car, so say you completely turned off the HVAC before shutting off the car, you remote start and it's around Freezing Outside, when you open the doors you will hear and feel the fans blowing full blast then you put your foot on the brake and press the Start/Stop button, the second you hit the button the fans stop because it has now switched to the state you left the HVAC on.
I think I get it. When you remote start, regardless of your HAV setting, it tries to bring it to the set temp even if it was off beforehand. No wonder they suffer oil dilution. lol. It's better to resist using the heat until the engine warms up so it warms up faster, but then your remote start mode is anti-warm up, I guess. lol.

OP
OP

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I think I get it. When you remote start, regardless of your HAV setting, it tries to bring it to the set temp even if it was off beforehand. No wonder they suffer oil dilution. lol. It's better to resist using the heat until the engine warms up so it warms up faster, but then your remote start mode is anti-warm up, I guess. lol.
basically and there in lies the problem, I thought I had found a way to make it NOT do that so it would actually warm up the engine instead of trying to warm up the cabin, at the very least they should do a software patch to make it wait till the engine reaches a certain temp before turning on the heat.

It's actually a perfectly fine response for Remote Start in the summer as it kicks the AC on and starts cooling down the interior, but no one really uses remote start to cool off a car, they use it in the winter to warm it up so it should be controllable by the operator, but it's not.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
basically and there in lies the problem, I thought I had found a way to make it NOT do that so it would actually warm up the engine instead of trying to warm up the cabin, at the very least they should do a software patch to make it wait till the engine reaches a certain temp before turning on the heat.

It's actually a perfectly fine response for Remote Start in the summer as it kicks the AC on and starts cooling down the interior, but no one really uses remote start to cool off a car, they use it in the winter to warm it up so it should be controllable by the operator, but it's not.
I use remote start to cool off the car in summer. If you want the car comfortable in winter then why not in summer?

OP
OP

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I use remote start to cool off the car in summer. If you want the car comfortable in winter then why not in summer?
you can roll down the windows to vent the heat, no reason to waste gas on that and anyway the A/C starts working the second you turn it on where the Heat won't do shit till the engine is warmed up so it physically needs longer to start working then the A/C does. It's not about having the car comfortable when you first get into it, it's about having it bearable, whrn it's 40* below room temperature for the first 10 minutes of your drive it's a lot worse then 20* above room temperature when you can roll the windows down and have the air blow on you till the A/C kicks in.

TL;DR cooling is faster then heating.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
you can roll down the windows to vent the heat, no reason to waste gas on that and anyway the A/C starts working the second you turn it on where the Heat won't do shit till the engine is warmed up so it physically needs longer to start working then the A/C does. It's not about having the car comfortable when you first get into it, it's about having it bearable, whrn it's 40* below room temperature for the first 10 minutes of your drive it's a lot worse then 20* above room temperature when you can roll the windows down and have the air blow on you till the A/C kicks in.

TL;DR cooling is faster then heating.
Who said it's not about having the car comfortable? I sure didn't. I don't want to roll down the windows & have hot air blowing on me.

The oil dilution problem supposedly occurs because the engine is not warming up quickly in cold weather. So letting your car warm up in cold weather contributes to the oil dilution. Therefore I'm doing less potential harm cooling my car & letting it idle in hot weather.

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

I hear ya. The climate controls software could use and should already have a software patch to fix the stupid crap, like the compressor turning on by default. We should launch a petition.

Mae22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatch Sport Touring Aegean Blue Metallic
Country flag
but no one really uses remote start to cool off a car, they use it in the winter to warm it up so it should be controllable by the operator, but it's not.
Um, everyone here in Phoenix where it's 115 degrees all summer would likely disagree with you. The main function of remote start for us is to get that AC blowing cold. Opening the windows when it's 150+ degrees inside the car doesn't do much of anything.

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Um, everyone here in Phoenix where it's 115 degrees all summer would likely disagree with you. The main function of remote start for us is to get that AC blowing cold. Opening the windows when it's 150+ degrees inside the car doesn't do much of anything.
haha. I guess it's all in how you see it. Frankly, it's far easier to cool off the car enough to survive until you get some good, cold air, because you can just open the windows long enough to let the mass of heat out (which you're supposed to do anyway when you first turn on the A/C). In the winter, you're reliant on the engine for heat and that takes longer to heat up enough to get something useful out of it than cooling off the interior.

Thankfully someone used their head and gave us heated seats. It's too bad they didn't offer a heated steering wheel, too, or an option for the Type-R for cold climates.

We tend to think Type-R owners are compensating for something else. The adage about the pool being cold is closely related to the weather here in the winter. As it turns out, it's because they don't have heated seats. lol

LURK-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch
Country flag
This! If you know, you know. If you haven't experienced the Phoenix 115 degree Summer well...

Honda Civic 10th gen Things I've Noticed About this Car kDT5gV7

OP
OP

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
This! If you know, you know. If you haven't experienced the Phoenix 115 degree Summer well...

kDT5gV7.jpg
may not have had 115 but my sisters outdoor wedding on June 30th 2012 in GEORGIA several years back was like 104 with a heat index of nearly 120 and we where stuck outdoors for like an hour or so and the building we had the reception in couldn't keep up with all the people and it was still like 80 INSIDE. Also I'm from FLORIDA originally, you think your desert dry heat can compare to 98 degrees with 90% humidity.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I remote start the car & the blower is blasting away. Didn’t seem to make any difference if I left the climate control on Auto or not when the car was previously shut off.

After I do the Brake > push Start & get the car officially running, the blower speed is reduced & quieter. The climate control indicates the blower speed is on Lo but none of the Mode icons are lit up. I press the Mode icon for blowing air on the feet & the blower appears to shut off & no speed is indicated, not even Lo. IOW none of the speed icons are lit up. The system is not on Auto because I manually selected the Mode.

After I drive a mile a two, the climate control shows the blower at about half speed & still not on Auto. Since it’s still on a manual mode, why has the blower speed automatically increased as the engine has warmed up?

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
may not have had 115 but my sisters outdoor wedding on June 30th 2012 in GEORGIA several years back was like 104 with a heat index of nearly 120 and we where stuck outdoors for like an hour or so and the building we had the reception in couldn't keep up with all the people and it was still like 80 INSIDE. Also I'm from FLORIDA originally, you think your desert dry heat can compare to 98 degrees with 90% humidity.
That's right: for the human misery index, no temperature in dry climate beats high humidity. And, with high humidity, a large part of the AC system's capacity needs to go to condensing the water. Cooling dry air is a walk in the park for AC systems.
Sponsored