WhatTheFun

Knows some stuff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My car got caught in a hailstorm over the weekend, and my car was one of the worst damaged in the parking lot. This confirms my initial hunches, honda went extra thin with the sheet metal to save weight and cost.

Hopefully the repairs won't be too difficult.

(Image is reflection of overhead light bulb, intended to show one of the many dings)
Honda Civic 10th gen Thin sheet metal, easy damage ima
Sponsored

Last edited:

D Money

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes I was inspecting my bumper and felt like I could dent the bumper just by pressing too hard into the flat part with just one hand

skittles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport and 2013 370Z sport
Vehicle Showcase
Only issue I've had with my car was the bluetooth. However, since I got the android marshmellow update it's been working properly. I'm having fun driving this car, which is the first Honda I've ever owned. If I'm still happy with it when the warranty is up I'll keep it. If not, then I'll sell it. I worry with every car when it hails not just Honda. I'm sorry about the damage you have.. Hail sucks no doubt..Uggg..Also, there's no reason to personally attack someone. A few peeps on this website really need to take a chill pill.:yes:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Fit, 2016 Acura MDX, 2006 Acura RSX, 2016 Honda Civic coupe touring
In their quest to make cars lighter this seems to be a trend in the industry, I've noticed the thin metal syndrome on several automotive forums not just the civic forums. It sucks what the hail did to your car though.

NotYrGrndMa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Ex-T
Yuck - that stinks!

I doubt it is only Honda - yesterday I saw a brand new--dealer plated Hyundai with a oddly-shaped, fairly deep dent on the rear quarter. From the shape of it it was not a collision with another car (dented above and below with a raised crease in the middle). I agree with the thought that the quest for lighter cars with better mileage is the cause.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In their quest to make cars lighter this seems to be a trend in the industry, I've noticed the thin metal syndrome on several automotive forums not just the civic forums. It sucks what the hail did to your car though.
Yep! It's everywhere, except for luxury cars the majority of newer mainstream cars are gonna continue to go the route of using thin sheet metal. Blame CAFE...

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I feel like the paint is thin and cheap to. I have on one side of my car about 8 chips and on the other 3 and one on the hood. Anyone else noticing a lot of little round paint chip?

Paul H

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring and 2015 Sonata GL
Country flag
No different than most new cars I'm affraid - hail storm near here badly damaged (dented) a Kia.............cheers p

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I feel like the paint is thin and cheap to. I have on one side of my car about 8 chips and on the other 3 and one on the hood. Anyone else noticing a lot of little round paint chip?
Washed my car Friday, tons of chips down low. Someone else said they'd just have to get the front refinished every few years, I may being doing that at this rate. 14k miles and the front end is losing the battle.

I'm not overly bothered by that, but still.

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Not me. I covered my car with Xpel paint protection! Love it. I learned that even with my other car an Audi that chipped and looked like crap after 8 years. I was going to do something this time since this is the first new car I bought. The Audi was peppered on the whole front with chips, I never drove on highway really that much.
My Honda is well protected!

89AKurt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe EX-T, 1969 Chevrolet C-10 pickup
Country flag
Just did a quick search, many hits about thinner sheet metal on new cars. Blame it on the government, the CAFE standard specifically.
Car & Driver: How Automakers Will Meet 2016 CAFE Standards
Ford is making their pickups with aluminum, so beer can jokes may commence. My dad had an early 40s International Harvester bus, that sheet metal was like a tank.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just did a quick search, many hits about thinner sheet metal on new cars. Blame it on the government, the CAFE standard specifically.
Car & Driver: How Automakers Will Meet 2016 CAFE Standards
Ford is making their pickups with aluminum, so beer can jokes may commence. My dad had an early 40s International Harvester bus, that sheet metal was like a tank.
Shit, back then every car was practically bulletproof from the factory.

Civic_Honey627

Can't hide from the cops in this one!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L Coupe Energy Green!!!
Country flag
Yuck - that stinks!

I doubt it is only Honda - yesterday I saw a brand new--dealer plated Hyundai with a oddly-shaped, fairly deep dent on the rear quarter. From the shape of it it was not a collision with another car (dented above and below with a raised crease in the middle). I agree with the thought that the quest for lighter cars with better mileage is the cause.
Isn't there a near future govt mandate requiring higher gas mileage or something??? Maybe that's what's behind the trend of thin metal.

Civic_Honey627

Can't hide from the cops in this one!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L Coupe Energy Green!!!
Country flag
Isn't there a near future govt mandate requiring higher gas mileage or something??? Maybe that's what's behind the trend of thin metal.
Tonight I met my bff for dinner, we walked out of the restaurant and she laughed because my car was in the FARRRRRRRR back corner of the parking lot. She asked why did I park so far away??? We walked over to my car, I told her to press down on the hood and it popped. She said it reminded her of Trouble....the boardgame! She drives a '97 Dodge. Honda Civic 10th gen Thin sheet metal, easy damage 2016-07-11-22-23-45-1671768221
Sponsored