Thin hood

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anyone notice during a hand wash or wax that the Civic hood is terribly thin? It wavers with a popping sound from being so thin right in the middle back near the windshield. It may be something to think about if adding a Type R hood scoop.
Sponsored

andre12dbsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan / 2017 Acura MDX Navi SH-AWD
I've read a few statements about the increased safety for pedestrians with the 2016 Civic. I'm guessing the thin hood has something to do with that. It talks about "innovative pedestrian safety including an energy absorbing hood and fenders..."

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
I keep hearing this, and agree that most cars today have thin sheet metal, but the Civic doesn't seem out of line with the norm. My son walked up my hood a few times and I didn't see or hear any popping.

OP
OP
HondaPro

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The 2016 civic hood seems fine until you reach out to the middle closest to the windshield. Take a video of your son walking on that hood. I gotta see this.. lol my hood seems so thin a cat walking on it would dent it.. lol I want the alloy accord hood. :)

I keep hearing this, and agree that most cars today have thin sheet metal, but the Civic doesn't seem out of line with the norm. My son walked up my hood a few times and I didn't see or hear any popping.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
I finally stopped him. His mother lets the kids use her car like a jungle gym, and they did the same to my Insight which I didn't care about too much. He would pop the sheetmetal on that hood, but it always popped back by itself. When I brought home the new Civic I laid down the law and now they stay away, but it took a few weeks. My first and only scratch came from him climbing with a pebble on his foot, and he broke my license plate frame using it as a foothold.

OP
OP
HondaPro

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yep I washed my car today and every time I went over the hood it wobbled popped in the center near the windshield.. then during the dry it did it again. No dent yet but I'm discovering every corner cut.

Also noticed the lower side skirts do not fit. It's like they are on crooked.

Akirazstylin

Spread a little aloha wherever you go!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed two slight dent on my hood. You can't see it up close but you could see it in a reflection. Funny you go look at it it isn't there upclose but from a far you see slight dent marks. Not from someone leaning on it or anything. And yes it had that cheap tin can sound when washing and wiping it down too. Guess it's part of the gas savings it provides. Doesn't really bother me anymore cause in a few years I'll be getting something new again. Great car otherwise. Minus the auto wipers lol.

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic sedan EX-T, '18 Prius Two, '09 Scion xB, '88 R100RT
Country flag
The sheet metal is far thinner on our '16 than it is on our '14. The hood, roof, etc "oil can" at the slightest pressure on the '16.

Supposedly, this is a conscious choice made by Honda to use stronger but lighter gauge metal to save weight.

One thing I can say, the fit and finish is far superior on our '14. Every panel gap is thin and precise on the '14. The exterior panel gaps are far larger and less consistent on our '16. The overall impression is that assembly quality is lower on the newer car.

I have no doubt that the '16 will hold up fine, but the attention to assembly detail seems to have gone down a notch with the 10th gen. I think they've gone to larger panel gap tolerances to save time/money during assembly or something. Definitely some kind of cost cutting move. Does it impact the reliability of the car? Probably not, but it looks/feels low rent to me.

ffwd to :40 sec, the sound I hear when washing the new Civic--

OP
OP
HondaPro

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yep disappointed how thin the hood is.. and Honda don't care. They just want sales.

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Was driving down the road and something flew out of a tree and hit my car. Of course it dinged the hood. Brought it right away for a paintless dent repair quote. It's going to cost around 150. This is the third ding in 9 months.

Honda Civic 10th gen Thin hood IMG_0202.JPG

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i posted this in another thread but it seems the soft hood and fenders a a safety feature to absorb damages when the car comes into contact with a pedestrian. found the info below from a site pointing out the new safety features of the 2016 civic

Pedestrian Injury Mitigation Design
Structures in the front of the 2016 Civic are designed to help absorb energy in the event of a collision with a pedestrian. Research by Honda shows that the following features can dramatically improve a pedestrian's chance of survival if struck by a moving vehicle.

Honda Civic 10th gen Thin hood safety-02

Specific pedestrian head injury mitigation features include:

• Hood is designed to deform if contact is made with either an adult or a child pedestrian
  • Sufficient clearance exists between the hood and hard engine parts, allowing the hood to deform if impacted by a pedestrian
  • Windshield base has a unique section structure for efficient impact energy absorption
  • Energy-absorbing fender mounts and supports
  • Breakaway windshield wiper pivots
  • Deformable hood hinges

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
i posted this in another thread but it seems the soft hood and fenders a a safety feature to absorb damages when the car comes into contact with a pedestrian. found the info below from a site pointing out the new safety features of the 2016 civic

Pedestrian Injury Mitigation Design
Structures in the front of the 2016 Civic are designed to help absorb energy in the event of a collision with a pedestrian. Research by Honda shows that the following features can dramatically improve a pedestrian's chance of survival if struck by a moving vehicle.

Honda Civic 10th gen Thin hood safety-02

Specific pedestrian head injury mitigation features include:

• Hood is designed to deform if contact is made with either an adult or a child pedestrian
  • Sufficient clearance exists between the hood and hard engine parts, allowing the hood to deform if impacted by a pedestrian
  • Windshield base has a unique section structure for efficient impact energy absorption
  • Energy-absorbing fender mounts and supports
  • Breakaway windshield wiper pivots
  • Deformable hood hinges
Damn...it might be time to break out the mig welder and make a few... tweaks. ;)

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
A deforming hood is a safety feature not just for pedestrians we're hitting, but also the driver/passenger.

There are articles online for people replacing their hoods with cheap steel counterparts, which are far cheaper than OEM, then hitting something and having the hood get pushed into the cabin right at chest height, instead of deforming upon impact.

Being able to tout great safety, reducing weight thereby increasing fuel efficiency, and you can see why the hood is just some painted tinfoil.
Sponsored