Thermal Exhaust owners, did you wrap your FP

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
For the thermal exhaust owners, did you heat wrap your front pipe. I see some do and others haven't on different exhausts. I don't want to feel like I did something wrong if I don't. Thanks.
Sponsored

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
If the front pipe doesn't have heat shields, then you need heat shields covering the same areas as the heatshields on the OEM front pipe.

At the very least.

It doesn't matter who makes the aftermarket exhaust.

Header wrap is not as effective a heat shield as a ... well ... a heat shield. However, it is better than nothing and could offer other advantages.

Type R racecars that I have seen use both.

OP
OP
elusiveaura

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So the R has heat shields on stock front pipe. Iā€™m guessing the heat shield canā€™t be mounted to aftermarket pipe then and youā€™re saying I need to take some action to wrap or protect the new front pipe?

If the front pipe doesn't have heat shields, then you need heat shields covering the same areas as the heatshields on the OEM front pipe.

At the very least.

It doesn't matter who makes the aftermarket exhaust.

Header wrap is not as effective a heat shield as a ... well ... a heat shield. However, it is better than nothing and could offer other advantages.

Type R racecars that I have seen use both.

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
No, you want to protect the components that the OE heat shields protected (at least) - dogbone motor mount, steering and suspension components, wiring, etc.

Tim818

King Of The ā€˜Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
Stole this picture from Facebook lol, you can see where the heat shields are on the factory front pipe
Honda Civic 10th gen Thermal Exhaust owners, did you wrap your FP 8FFBFA24-9EF7-44C2-9A49-4DDCD6750198

OP
OP
elusiveaura

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Can you guys recommend a good heat wrap I can go ahead and order and a means to secure it? Thanks.

Stole this picture from Facebook lol, you can see where the heat shields are on the factory front pipe
8FFBFA24-9EF7-44C2-9A49-4DDCD6750198.jpeg

OP
OP
elusiveaura

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I had wrap already, so I am not sure how much I used. You can wrap as much or as little as you want. Myself, I wrapped all of the pipe except for the flex part as I wanted to keep heat away from the oil pan (and I had the wrap anyway).

I would guess 15ft x 2" would be plenty.

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
Can you guys recommend a good heat wrap I can go ahead and order and a means to secure it? Thanks.
I got the 2" x 50' DEI black mesh wrap and stainless steel zip ties from Amazon. I also got a can of DEI's hi-temp silicone spray. i called them and they said spraying on the silicone after the wrap dries on the front pipe after wrapping increases the working temp of the wrap by about 300 degrees. According to them it also helps the wrap to last longer.

OP
OP
elusiveaura

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did you end up using all of the heat wrap out of those 2 rolls? What exhaust/fp do you have?

I got the 2" x 50' DEI black mesh wrap and stainless steel zip ties from Amazon. I also got a can of DEI's hi-temp silicone spray. i called them and they said spraying on the silicone after the wrap dries on the front pipe after wrapping increases the working temp of the wrap by about 300 degrees. According to them it also helps the wrap to last longer.

NinjamanCTR

Space Force Special Forces
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2018 Ford Expedition Limited, 1998 Ford Contour aka the beater.

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
Did you end up using all of the heat wrap out of those 2 rolls? What exhaust/fp do you have?
I actually got a single 50 ft. roll, 2 inches wide. I have the Invidia R400 with front pipe. Getting it installed next week. I only used about 1/3 of the 50 ft roll, but someone had said they ordered the 15 foot roll and ran out, so the next step up at Amazon was 50 ft. inexpensive, so no big deal.....

youCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1292 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
There are some rolls that are available in 25' and 1/3 of 50' is about 17' so 25' should be plenty. I got the DEI Titanium Wrap ASAP after reading all the front pipe stuff, haha.
Sponsored