First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Hatch MT
Country flag
Hey all,
I’ve searched and searched the forums for more info on this but have only come across one thread where someone did this. I would love to know if anyone else has any experience!

I just sent my newly delivered PRL catted DP v2 off to get ceramic coated. (Thermal barrier coated)

The shop I went with had tons of positive reviews and great testimonies from different work from engine headers to lawn chairs etc.

I’ve read many people talk about not having issues just mounting on non ceramic coated DP without any sort of heat shielding (while also living in places where the high is 80-90*F) but I live in Arizona and with the summer quickly approaching and the 118*F heat around the corner. I was curious if anyone else has powder coated their DP, and if so have you noticed less lost power during hot times general reliability of your vehicle related to heat.

Obviously not everyone lives in Arizona, but I would love insight for all locations to get an idea

My thought process is to try and get as much heat out of the engine bay as quickly as possible and keep those iat’s low.
Thank You! :thumbsup:
Sponsored

Last edited:

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey all,
I’ve searched and searched the forums for more info on this but have only come across one thread where someone did this. I would love to know if anyone else has any experience!

I just sent my newly delivered PRL catted DP v2 off to get ceramic coated.

The shop I went with had tons of positive reviews and great testimonies from different work from engine headers to lawn chairs etc.

I’ve read many people talk about not having issues just mounting on non ceramic coated DP without any sort of heat shielding (while also living in places where the high is 80-90*) but I live in Arizona and with the summer quickly approaching and the 118* heat around the corner. I was curious if anyone else has powder coated their DP, and if so have you noticed less lost power during hot times general reliability of your vehicle related to heat.

Obviously not everyone lives in Arizona, but I would love insight for all locations to get an idea

My thought process is to try and get as much heat out of the engine bay as quickly as possible and keep those iat’s low.
I got my RV6 catted dp with a silver ceramic coating. I hope it helped the engine bay temps, but without a direct comparison, I don't know. The AC heats up the engine compartment so much that it confuses things here in hot Texas.

OP
OP
heresick

heresick

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Hatch MT
Country flag
So I just got my DP back from the shop and I’m super happy with how it turned out.
I left it outside in the sun (106* and sunny today).
I checked it after an hour and it was still cool to touch. I’m super excited to get it mounted this weekend.

I’ll keep everyone updated how the install goes, as well as post install temperatures.
Here are some before and after photos.
Honda Civic 10th gen Thermal Barrier Coating PRL DP 371090C8-FBF6-4EC5-8128-AA3385AD759F
Honda Civic 10th gen Thermal Barrier Coating PRL DP E356EFEA-6EE8-453A-A225-3D438060F41E
Honda Civic 10th gen Thermal Barrier Coating PRL DP 4B1F7A6F-1812-4610-B453-759C29CF184C
Honda Civic 10th gen Thermal Barrier Coating PRL DP 7B8A04A4-FAFC-4879-9CED-7D74210D3D9E

salik990

First Name
Salik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic 1.5T, 15' Audi A3 1.8T, Toyota Hilux Revo 2017
Country flag
Hey all,

I just sent my newly delivered PRL catted DP v2 off to get ceramic coated.

I’ve read many people talk about not having issues just mounting on non ceramic coated DP without any sort of heat shielding (while also living in places where the high is 80-90*) but I live in Arizona and with the summer quickly approaching and the 118* heat around the corner. I was curious if anyone else has powder coated their DP, and if so have you noticed less lost power during hot times general reliability of your vehicle related to heat.

best way to reduce IAT1 pre-intercooler is to get CAI and heat wrap it, I have seen instant drop of IAT when i got CAI with the holes on foglight grill. For IAT2 post-intercooler you will definitely need aftermarket intercooler, the place i live the summer get hot and humid day time is over 35-40c and i still see my IAT2 5c over ambient temp.
Ceramic coating dp is best way to reduce engine bay temp where it affect the engine temp and coolant temp, also our civic engine bay is very congested and no air ventilated so i made some holes on the left side foglight grill to match the right side foglight grill.

OP
OP
heresick

heresick

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Hatch MT
Country flag
best way to reduce IAT1 pre-intercooler is to get CAI and heat wrap it, I have seen instant drop of IAT when i got CAI with the holes on foglight grill. For IAT2 post-intercooler you will definitely need aftermarket intercooler, the place i live the summer get hot and humid day time is over 35-40c and i still see my IAT2 5c over ambient temp.
Ceramic coating dp is best way to reduce engine bay temp where it affect the engine temp and coolant temp, also our civic engine bay is very congested and no air ventilated so i made some holes on the left side foglight grill to match the right side foglight grill.

Aftermarket IC is definitely next on the list! I knew that it got a little stuffy under the hood, but I never thought to cut those little holes to help vent until then!
I guess that’s why they are “vents” to begin with ?

Super appreciate your response and insight!

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
the coated DP should cut down around 30% of the heat it would if it wasn't coated. It'll definitely help your underhood temps but I would still put the heatshield to help out a bit more.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I just got my DP back from the shop and I’m super happy with how it turned out.
I left it outside in the sun (106* and sunny today).
I checked it after an hour and it was still cool to touch. I’m super excited to get it mounted this weekend.

I’ll keep everyone updated how the install goes, as well as post install temperatures.
Here are some before and after photos.
371090C8-FBF6-4EC5-8128-AA3385AD759F.jpeg
E356EFEA-6EE8-453A-A225-3D438060F41E.jpeg
4B1F7A6F-1812-4610-B453-759C29CF184C.jpeg
7B8A04A4-FAFC-4879-9CED-7D74210D3D9E.jpeg
Nice look! Very spiffy.

OP
OP
heresick

heresick

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Hatch MT
Country flag
If anyone is interested, I have noticed better IAT from inside engine bay. Last weekend in AZ was 116F and that’s enough to make any car feel the heat.
I’m happy with my decision to coat it.

as @salik990 recommended above, I cut out some holes on the CAI come side fake vent with a dremmel. it came out super nice.

aside from upgraded Intercooler, I’ve been looking at heat wrapping w/ lava blanket/gold tape etc, various components in the engine bay to help dissipate the extra heat

Fit2Hatch

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Ceramic coating in effect is its ability to reflect heat, correct?

So, unless component is coated inside as well to reflect heat from passing super heated gas, if uncoated, it will absorb heat instead of reflect to re-channel heat.

OP
OP
heresick

heresick

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Hatch MT
Country flag
Ceramic coating in effect is its ability to reflect heat, correct?

So, unless component is coated inside as well to reflect heat from passing super heated gas, if uncoated, it will absorb heat instead of reflect to re-channel heat.
My initial thought was to do inside and outside of the DP for this reason, but the more I searched (and there isn’t much info online about this unless you dig and dig)

I am by no means an expert, but by ceramic coating, you are creating a barrier allowing heat to not pass through a surface.

Some always does, which I was expecting in doing so- but the barrier coating on the outside still prevents some (explaining the 20-30%cooler iat)
The goal is to then have that barrier help disperse the hot gas through the exhaust system instead of soaking the DP.

Additionally I went with a catted DP, so I was worried about potentially clogging the scrubbing system, as well as potentially creating a chip somewhere on the inside that could fly off and damage my turbo fins ?

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner, '19 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
For general knowledge, "ceramic coating" being referenced here is a thermal barrier coating. These coatings have been designed to control heat where it needs to be. Since it's an insulative coating. It would be smart to have the inside and outside coated.

OP
OP
heresick

heresick

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Hatch MT
Country flag
For general knowledge, "ceramic coating" being referenced here is a thermal barrier coating. These coatings have been designed to control heat where it needs to be. Since it's an insulative coating. It would be smart to have the inside and outside coated.
Updated title for added clarity and visibility. Hope this helps other members! Thank you!

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
cerakote for mine and i did my prl v1 downpipe and frontpipe before i upgraded to the big turbo.

IMG_2174.JPG

prl_dpfp.jpg
Looks awesome!
Where/how did you do it? Did you have many miles on the pipes before doing this?

I may be upgrading my turbo and/or IC, and was going to wrap my pipes... This looks much cleaner. After seeing two variations, I'm inclined to go this route.

Anyone have before/after temp data? As much as these looks kill, if wrapping my pipes in that lava rock fiber stuff yield better thermal management I'm going that route.