Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
  • Banned
For you guys who have never driven a WRX, but are considering 1, I went to my local Subaru dealership to test drive a 2018 WRX to see how those cars compare to our Si. Here is what I took away from driving 1 for the first time:

- The WRX was quite a bit quicker off the line and taking off from downshifts
- The clutch pedal was much heavier than in the Si, like seriously 4 or 5 times heavier. I really liked that
- The shifter in the WRX had shortish feeling throws, but it was very notchy. There was nothing smooth about shifting that car
- It is a very different feeling driving AWD as the power feels more immediate and to the ground
- The interior didn't feel as "cheap" as ppl often make it out to be, but it lacked a lot of features the Si has. Why would there not be push button start or android auto in a 2018 car that is that expensive?
- The WRX was quite a bit noisier in the cabin. It was like I could hear every sound that the engine made. The Si with an aftermarket exhaust would have a quieter cabin.
- The clutch grabbed about an inch or 2 from the floor
- Subaru salespeople and sales managers believe that their cars are some kind of unicorns

And that is about it. I really loved how the power felt in that car; however, when I got back into my Si, it was like stepping back into a premium automobile again.

After driving the subie for a while it really made me realize how nice the Si is to drive. While stock for stock the power of the Si is considerably less, the overall feel of the drive is a lot better.

The Si also feels so much "easier" to drive than the subie, if that makes any sense to you. Shifting is way smoother and engaging. Additionally, the Si is fun to keep wringing out to the redline and pushing to its limits

The WRX is a lot more of a raw and has more potential for additional power. Tuned Si vs tuned WRX, the WRX will most often have the advantage.

But I feel like ppl who have been Honda enthusiasts for years like myself can relate when I say that there is something special about driving a Honda that you do not experience in other cars.
Sponsored

CLnet2014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2018 Coupe
Country flag
Back in 2018, i did the same test before pulling the trigger on my SI.

I've got the same conclusion as you.

sgtmorph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Hatchback (Boost Blue)
Country flag
I've owned a 2011 Si, and now my 2018 Si
I've also owned a 2013 WRX (prev gen), and test driven a few of the current gen WRX's.

Right off the bat, the Si is definitely more of a driver's car. Just more fun IMHO.
Mainly because stock for stock, the Si handles WAYYYY better.
The Si also does come better equipped tech-wise.

The WRX wins in the power dept, and gets amazing gains from tuning. Off the line was awesome!
Offroad is fun, and inclement weather makes the AWD nice to have.
The WRX does handle like a fat whale tho...with alot of body roll if you keep your suspension stock.

Having owned both, I give the edge to Si

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
- Subaru salespeople and sales managers believe that their cars are some kind of unicorns
That's all sales people. It's kinda required to sell cars... Or anything else.

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
I work with a girl ... She has an STI with Cobb tuning and all the goodies ... I asked her how's the car? She goes ... it's in the shop. Then she goes into this Shakespeare type thespian soliloquy about how " there is a specific bond all subi owners share". " We even have a special wave we give each other". I was like ....eh um okay .. drink the Kool aid!

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I've never driven one, but I have driven IN one. To loud, unrefined feeling, suspension was way too hard for me. I don't like how the boxer engine sounds. This one was tuned, lowering springs, stock exhaust. This one was not a good daily driver for me. Fast as heck though!

Muscleman

Banned
Banned
First Name
Rigby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Country flag
For you guys who have never driven a WRX, but are considering 1, I went to my local Subaru dealership to test drive a 2018 WRX to see how those cars compare to our Si. Here is what I took away from driving 1 for the first time:

- The WRX was quite a bit quicker off the line and taking off from downshifts
- The clutch pedal was much heavier than in the Si, like seriously 4 or 5 times heavier. I really liked that
- The shifter in the WRX had shortish feeling throws, but it was very notchy. There was nothing smooth about shifting that car
- It is a very different feeling driving AWD as the power feels more immediate and to the ground
- The interior didn't feel as "cheap" as ppl often make it out to be, but it lacked a lot of features the Si has. Why would there not be push button start or android auto in a 2018 car that is that expensive?
- The WRX was quite a bit noisier in the cabin. It was like I could hear every sound that the engine made. The Si with an aftermarket exhaust would have a quieter cabin.
- The clutch grabbed about an inch or 2 from the floor

And that is about it. I really loved how the power felt in that car; however, when I got back into my Si, it was like stepping back into a premium automobile again.

After driving the subie for a while it really made me realize how nice the Si is to drive. While stock for stock the power of the Si is considerably less, the overall feel of the drive is a lot better.

The Si also feels so much "easier" to drive than the subie, if that makes any sense to you. Shifting is way smoother and engaging. Additionally, the Si is fun to keep wringing out to the redline and pushing to its limits

The WRX is a lot more of a raw and has more potential for additional power. Tuned Si vs tuned WRX, the WRX will most often have the advantage.

But I feel like ppl who have been Honda enthusiasts for years like myself can relate when I say that there is something special about driving a Honda that you do not experience in other cars.
Honda salesman do the same...bias much

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In 2017, I test drove the 2018 WRX before driving and purchasing a '17 SI. Your take seems spot on.

2 years, 48,000 miles later, no regrets.

Shonuff

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan/2019 CR-V/2012 Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
Before I pulled the trigger on my Si I had my friend offer me a pre-owned WRX from his shop. He knows that I have an unnatural love for them (previously had 04 WRX wagon). I drove it and there's not much that has changed from 04 other than it's a little nicer inside. It made more but there's something that it doesn't have that I need, refinement! I've drank the WRX Kool Aid I fell in love with the boxer engine but as an older gent I couldn't bring myself to drive around in one. My kids loved it but the interior was/is trash! Then I happened to see a 17 Si come in with low kms and in great shape. It took me less than a day to make up my mind. Bought it without even driving it. Long story short I will always love me some Subie but I've also been a Honda fanboi since the 90's and having something I can drive and not look like a vape bro makes me happy.