The "Who regrets their purchase!" Thread

usaoze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 HATCH SPROT TOURING, 2012 WRX SEDAN
Country flag
No complaints with my hatchback. I was a bit hesitant coming from a WRX but I've really enjoyed this car so far.
GOOD to hear...I'm in the process of selling my 2012 WRX for the Sport Touring...You have the 6 sp, right?!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I have no regrets at all. I'm very pleased with my 2017 EX-L sedan. It actually was my second choice. I wanted a turbo Elantra Sport but couldn't find one in the color I wanted.

I looked long and hard at the Civic hatchback but couldn't get used to all the styling elements. I also found the interior rear visibility to be mediocre. As far as the CVT (and this is coming from someone who has driven manual cars for 25 years) I find it to be pretty good overall. I'll often switch to S and turn ECO on and off in different situations. It's just a question of getting used to it. The only real negative I have with the car is the tricycle horn Honda installed. ;)

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
GOOD to hear...I'm in the process of selling my 2012 WRX for the Sport Touring...You have the 6 sp, right?!
Sure do. Would not have bought a CVT personally. They have their place though. My WRX had a fair bit more power (305/345 wheel) but by the time I bought it the platform had been around for quite some time and there were already lots of parts out for it... the car was pretty much "figured out" by the tuning industry at that point. I enjoy the constant introduction of new parts for the new 1.5T Civic X platform. Ktuner was enough to really make the car fun to drive but I will take it as far as I think I safely can. We'll see where things end up.

Molatte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Count me in on this. Prior to purchasing my Touring sedan, my other choice was Touring Accord & GT Mazda 6. I convinced myself that the Turbo would be enough and I'd enjoy the CivicX just because its a new model. This backfired because within 10 months of owning the thing, I've had the car:

1) Broken windshield
2) Replaced battery 3 times because they were faulty
3) A lot of grinding sound upon start and I can't replicate this at the dealer
4) The infamous audio popping sound

So yes, I regret purchasing the Sedan Touring 60% of the time owning it; the other 40% has to go with the plethora of features that it offers - which were enough to sway me from the V6 Accord (my defense at the time was I'd never be able to use the V6 engine to its fullest potential because of the low speed limits we have) and the Mazda 6 (which at the time had similar power to the CivicX but no turbo). Regretfully, I should've went with the Mazda 6.

I have to wait until next year to even think about trading this in while breaking even.

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
But truth be told i liked the fits handling much better than this new hatch is giving me.
It gets to be a bit busy at highway speeds just keeping it tracking dead straight but your mods must have helped a ton - but yeah, it drives/turns like a darn go kart!

A thought - did you check to see how recent your hatch build is - was it an earlier build that might have been sitting on the lot before you bought it?

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Who all if anyone here regrets purchasing their new hatchback? Or other 10th gen for that matter! I sadfully do. I cant seen to get around its blindspots. Idk if its me or the car but i have never in my life had so many close calls from switching lanes than i have in this car. Also the cvt trans is just the most jerkiest, weird shifting tranny ive ever had (yes ive owned cvt before) and i also find it unsafe as it tends to lunge forward as im almost at a stop forcing me to jam the brakes again to avoid rear ending somebody. The bluetooth dont like any phones i try. And the dash rattles are crazy annoying. And idk how but everyone seems to be getting amazing gas mileage yet im 1100 miles deep in mine and its taken 5 full tanks from empty to get there! Thats not good. Idk guys, but i really just wish i could drop this thing off at honda and say give me my 2013 honda fit sport again. Im not a happy customer and it sucks! Sucks so bad to have a month old car and hate it. Sucks.
Sorry you're regretting your purchase. Regarding the 'lunging forward', I believe that is the hill start assist (or whatever they call it). The car gives a bit of gas as soon as release the brake pedal. I actually really like it. You can turn it off by using the 'brake hold' function, which who'll continue to apply the brakes even after you release the brake pedal. The brakes will continue to hold, until you step on the accelerator. Not sure if your model has the brake hold feature?

Hope this helps a little.

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
The only thing I'm wondering if I should have gotten a Sport Manual instead of a Sport Touring (but the other half of my brain says then I'd be searching all over just for the 6spd)

The tablet infotainment is pretty meh.

- I don't like the interface of the the garmin based nav (never have).
- The sound system is complete garbage.
- In the day and age of larger panoramic moonroofs in other cars, this traditional one seems just "ok"
- While having a full LCD dash is cool, it's a boring presentation and doesn't have that much function to it. I actually prefer how the "analog" one looks in the Sport.

So about half the features I find "meh"

But I think the pluses still outweigh the minuses.
+ I would hate dealing with a 'traditional' key in a daily driver car I'm getting in and out of all the time.
+I would spend a grand to get LED headlights again (really transforms the look from average to something modern).
+Leather trim in lots of detailed places instead of just getting leather seat covers (which aren't cheap either).

Add it all up and I probably would have been close to the Sport Touring anyway.

/shrug

I haven't had many fun weekends to just drive and appreciate the car yet, so I try not to think/agonize over it too much.

OP
OP
TxSi

TxSi

H Badge Faithful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Ex HB FK7
It gets to be a bit busy at highway speeds just keeping it tracking dead straight but your mods must have helped a ton - but yeah, it drives/turns like a darn go kart!

A thought - did you check to see how recent your hatch build is - was it an earlier build that might have been sitting on the lot before you bought it?
Nah i didnt think to check that, any reason thatd be a concern?

OP
OP
TxSi

TxSi

H Badge Faithful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry you're regretting your purchase. Regarding the 'lunging forward', I believe that is the hill start assist (or whatever they call it). The car gives a bit of gas as soon as release the brake pedal. I actually really like it. You can turn it off by using the 'brake hold' function, which who'll continue to apply the brakes even after you release the brake pedal. The brakes will continue to hold, until you step on the accelerator. Not sure if your model has the brake hold feature?

Hope this helps a little.

Im not referring to hills. This happens on perfectly flat surfaces lol. Yes mine has brake hold. Neat feature but i just dont trust it yet lol. And thanks, any ideas or suggestions are helpful!!

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
The only complaint I have is the jerky transmission. Feels jerky slowing and accelerating at slow speeds. I have a feeling a lot of the complaints are related to the car having first year problems. Bluetooth, infotainment issues, A/C hose not connected (seriously ? someone did not connect the a/c drain hose and several members floors got wet), imperfections in the paint all over, engine surging issues, falling 3rd brake light (coupe), etc....

A lot of these problems are basic issues that owners should not be dealing with. I could SORT OF understand if it were Tesla which is not as a mature car company and implemented new features, but a standard Civic is a bit much esp when their reputation is quality along with Toyota. You can make the argument that it's an inexpensive car, but the counterargument is that Hondas are supposed to be "quality"...unless you don't believe that anymore. Isn't that the term they used to denounce the Big 3 for decades was "quality".

I've been fortunately not to have any issues, but I would also be unhappy like others if my entire interior became wet due to a drain hose not being connected.

http://www.civicx.com/threads/passenger-side-floor-soaked.3963/

Come on,....seriously ?

OP
OP
TxSi

TxSi

H Badge Faithful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only complaint I have is the jerky transmission. Feels jerky slowing and accelerating at slow speeds. I have a feeling a lot of the complaints are related to the car having first year problems. Bluetooth, infotainment issues, A/C hose not connected (seriously ? someone did not connect the a/c drain hose and several members floors got wet), imperfections in the paint all over, engine surging issues, falling 3rd brake light (coupe), etc....

A lot of these problems are basic issues that owners should not be dealing with. I could SORT OF understand if it were Tesla which is not as a mature car company and implemented new features, but a standard Civic is a bit much esp when their reputation is quality along with Toyota. You can make the argument that it's an inexpensive car, but the counterargument is that Hondas are supposed to be "quality"...unless you don't believe that anymore. Isn't that the term they used to denounce the Big 3 for decades was "quality".

I've been fortunately not to have any issues, but I would also be unhappy like others if my entire interior became wet due to a drain hose not being connected.

http://www.civicx.com/threads/passenger-side-floor-soaked.3963/

Come on,....seriously ?
That is def not good HONDA! LOL Come on!!! Wow

kcwalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Who all if anyone here regrets purchasing their new hatchback? Or other 10th gen for that matter! I sadfully do.
I have no regrets at all. I'm very pleased with my 2017 EX-L sedan.
Like gtman, I have a 2017 Ex-L, and very happy with it. I only looked at the sedan. I need a 4dr and there were no HBs in Dallas when I was shopping. If I have a "regret", it's that I didn't get to see/drive a HB. Love the look, but when you need a car, you buy what's on the lot. (had to replace my totaled Accord)

I've only had one minor problem; drivers seat heater would cut out after 90 seconds (passenger side was fine). Took it to the dealer and eventually they found a loose connector. They fixed it, and all is good. True, I had some quibbles with the audio (which brought me to CivicX.com), but I've resolved most, and learned to accept the few I can't . :)

Back in the day I drove MT, but gave it up with all my city stop-n-go driving. Just not fun anymore. I find the 1.5L turbo / CVT pairing to be responsive enough (even in Econ Mode). MPG ranges from 31 city to 45 highway.

I cant seen to get around its blindspots. Idk if its me or the car but i have never in my life had so many close calls from switching lanes than i have in this car. Also the cvt trans is just the most jerkiest, weird shifting tranny ive ever had (yes ive owned cvt before) and i also find it unsafe as it tends to lunge forward as im almost at a stop forcing me to jam the brakes again to avoid rear ending somebody. The bluetooth dont like any phones i try. And the dash rattles are crazy annoying. And idk how but everyone seems to be getting amazing gas mileage yet im 1100 miles deep in mine and its taken 5 full tanks from empty to get there!.
I'd offer to trade my EX-L for your HB, but you'd still be stuck with the CVT and BT.
And, I don't need a red ticket magnet (already been stopped once in a MSM sedan). :)

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Sure do. Would not have bought a CVT personally. They have their place though. My WRX had a fair bit more power (305/345 wheel) but by the time I bought it the platform had been around for quite some time and there were already lots of parts out for it... the car was pretty much "figured out" by the tuning industry at that point. I enjoy the constant introduction of new parts for the new 1.5T Civic X platform. Ktuner was enough to really make the car fun to drive but I will take it as far as I think I safely can. We'll see where things end up.
How much power is your HB making? I was thinking of getting a tune from vit to see if I can get anything higher than Hondata's 9psi

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How much power is your HB making? I was thinking of getting a tune from vit to see if I can get anything higher than Hondata's 9psi
My custom tune is still in the works and I've never had the car on a dyno but I know the Ktuner Stage 2 / 21psi tune is fairly close to Hondata's +9 top end horsepower and has more bottom end torque. I trust that after Vit is done I will have easily surpassed the +9 off the shelf tune Hondata offers.
Sponsored