The verdict is in on what failed in my 2018 Si (ended up being exactly what I thought)

JDMpo0kie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
About 3 weeks of daily use. Happened within the first month on my dsm as well but that is an older fuel system....

Who knows but it should not have happened.

Went near 30k miles and 2 years on pump gas with zero issues, switch to e20/e30 for a couple weeks and this happened....

Coincidence? Maybe so. :dunno:
Yup I went a year and a half on 91 and 3 months on Ethanol and it happened.
Sponsored

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
Did you guys use any fuel additives? I am assuming you are both blending with 91oct/93oct to obtain ~40%?

I ask because i read that reg fuel additives dont mix well w ethanol. And since most of us have to blend the additives are inherently there w reg gasoline. Then some ppl add more thinking it would help, but it doesnt if its something which doesnt play well w both type of fuels.

Last edited:

JDMpo0kie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did you guys use any fuel additives? I am assuming you are both blending with 91oct/93oct to obtain ~40%?

I ask because i read that reg fuel additives dont mix well w ethanol. And since most of us have to blend the additives are inherently there w reg gasoline. Then some ppl add more thinking it would help, but it doesnt if its something which doesnt play well w both type of fuels.
Ya I was on E36. I used the Lucas E85 Stabilizer. But I wasn’t using it when my car started to sputter. Only after..

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
Im assuming the stabilizer obviously didnt help/change things.

I use top lube about a 0.25 of recommended dose and i dont mix. Im lucky that my e85 is actually e51.

Recently there was a post on a wrx forum about an fbo flex car having similar issues but only after switching to reg gas AND THEN going back to ethanol. He ended up changing his LPFP and posted that issues resolved so not likely injector related so far. But his fuel filter and pump retainer were really dirty/black on pics assumedly due to these reg gasoline additives not mixing into e60 blends he was running.

JDMpo0kie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

If I go back on ethanol, I’m going to make sure to use it and change my fuel filter.

OP
OP
PowerPerLiter

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
If I go back on ethanol, I’m going to make sure to use it and change my fuel filter.
I just wouldn't do it bud.
Too many supporting stories/ evidence.
You wont hear anything about this from the big dogs cause most are still trying to sell stuff....especially assembled engines for when ours grenade ;). Not that its malicious they just know the game, as do I. Not gunna do it lol.
No serviceable fuel filter in the system so that wont be an option. Additives also are not the cause or solution either.

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
@PowerPerLiter but that holds true of all engine performance upgrades.

Does someone make ethanol compatible injectors as upgrade for running ethanol? In subaru world there are no injector issues btw.

@JDMpo0kie did you look at your injectors and compare to the pics in this thread? Something was definitely fouling/gumming up the injectors pictures in this thread.

OP
OP
PowerPerLiter

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Oh yes that certainly holds true for many things when modifying stuff.

Just majority of this community as a whole is ignorant (not in a bad way) as to what can happen when traveling down these roads.

You used to have to put effort and your own intelligence into making cars run on ethanol and make 100 more horsepower/ torque than factory. Now a days it's almost too easy.

Shit can fail and it happens fast, most of the time your fucked when it does. I got lucky this time. Others may not. Just trying to put it out there because not many would.

Last edited:

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag

Just this community as a whole are ignorant (not in a bad way) as to what can happen when traveling down these roads.

You used to have to put effort and your own intelligence into making cars run on ethanol and make 100 more horsepower/ torque than factory. Now a days it's almost too easy.

Shit can fail and it happens fast, most of the time your fucked when it does. I got lucky this time. Others may not. Just trying to put it out there because not many would.
^ Community Service Bulletin above ^

D-RobIMW

www.imwtuned.com
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2001 Integra Type R, 2019 RDX A-Spec
Country flag

Just this community as a whole are ignorant (not in a bad way) as to what can happen when traveling down these roads.

Absolutely.

It is way too easy these days, and a lot of people expect a bit much from these tiny engines. They are engineering marvels to begin with, and by adding 100+ tq certainly stresses things that a lot of people forget about.

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Absolutely.

It is way too easy these days, and a lot of people expect a bit much from these tiny engines. They are engineering marvels to begin with, and by adding 100+ tq certainly stresses things that a lot of people forget about.
Probably because people chase the best bang for the buck. (Pun intended?)

Isn't it that we throw 1000ish dollars in upgrades (flex fuel + tsp stage 2) and we're basically making near stock Type-R power for a considerably cheaper cost. I think that's what people are chasing.

JDMpo0kie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@PowerPerLiter but that holds true of all engine performance upgrades.

Does someone make ethanol compatible injectors as upgrade for running ethanol? In subaru world there are no injector issues btw.

@JDMpo0kie did you look at your injectors and compare to the pics in this thread? Something was definitely fouling/gumming up the injectors pictures in this thread.
My injectors were clean for the most part but maybe one of them was just failing?

OP
OP
PowerPerLiter

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My injectors were clean for the most part but maybe one of them was just failing?
Very possible. Not all bad/failing injectors will have visible evidence of any problems. These things are firing against 2000+psi combustion pressure multiple times a second down to milliseconds of degrees of crank rotation. It gets complicated.

cmunoz1795

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic Si
Country flag
I’ve only ran 93 On ktuner basemap and had one my injectors Failed on me. Didn’t drive it hard. Maybe some spirited driving once in a while. Dealer replaced them under warranty luckily!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase