donald_s

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sport Manual
Country flag
I had an extraordinary opportunity. I was first in line for a Type-R from a dealer that was doing no markup. Went to the dealer to see it today. I'm a little bigger guy, and no way I could sit comfortably in the car. This craze for having narrow, bolstered seats in any kind of performance car did me in. Dang that sucks. Just wanted to whine a little in public about it after waiting 4 months for the bloody thing.

Good luck guys!

Donald
Sponsored

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had an extraordinary opportunity. I was first in line for a Type-R from a dealer that was doing no markup. Went to the dealer to see it today. I'm a little bigger guy, and no way I could sit comfortably in the car. This craze for having narrow, bolstered seats in any kind of performance car did me in. Dang that sucks. Just wanted to whine a little in public about it after waiting 4 months for the bloody thing.

Good luck guys!

Donald
Could you share your waist/chest dimensions? Helpful for others.

OP
OP

donald_s

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sport Manual
Country flag
Blue. Thousand Oaks Honda has no markup. There was just a $750 'protection package' (wheel locks, etc.). The waiting list there is now over 20.

Bonestock91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Fit
+1 for Honda T.O. I was the first one to sit in their first SI even before it went into PDI.

Chee_hu

First Name
Sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#611 Rallye Red CTR | 1998 Civic EX | 2007 Honda Fit Sport
Country flag
Whoa that sucks. Sorry to hear, OP. This is one of times that I'm glad to have a small frame.

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
I have a wider back and chest is in the low 50's and the Focus Recaro seats felt terrible when I sat in one. I'm assuming the Type-R will be just as bad?

OP
OP

donald_s

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sport Manual
Country flag
Slowride, I'm afraid so. It's a very similar situation. I've recently driven a Golf-R, Corvette, Focus ST and now sat in the seat of the Civic Type-R. They are all have high bolsters that are very uncomfortable. I actually spoke with some upholstery guys about maybe changing the seats of the Type-R. But because of all the electronics in the seat they are reluctant, and it would not be cheap.

One thing you could look at if you want a 'hot hatch'. The base model of the Focus ST does have the standard Focus seats, not the Recaro seats. I still didn't like the seats, but they weren't as bad as the Type-R.

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
Slowride, I'm afraid so. It's a very similar situation. I've recently driven a Golf-R, Corvette, Focus ST and now sat in the seat of the Civic Type-R. They are all have high bolsters that are very uncomfortable. I actually spoke with some upholstery guys about maybe changing the seats of the Type-R. But because of all the electronics in the seat they are reluctant, and it would not be cheap.

One thing you could look at if you want a 'hot hatch'. The base model of the Focus ST does have the standard Focus seats, not the Recaro seats. I still didn't like the seats, but they weren't as bad as the Type-R.
I'm sure someone building a non Type R would love to trade seats, should be an easy fix I would think.