The Type R I didn't buy

CHAMPIONSHIPWHITE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CRZ,S2000,CTR,PASSPORT
Country flag
The seats were already made larger to accommodate the wider American market. Maybe some of you people just need to lose some weight lol.

LoL. I wonder how much smaller the seats in Japan are then. I'm asian myself but I guess i got the good myself the good old american diet LOL
Sponsored

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
LoL. I wonder how much smaller the seats in Japan are then. I'm asian myself but I guess i got the good myself the good old american diet LOL
I doubt they got smaller seats. It's probably the same sized seats for the entire market.

I have a feeling the seats might even be a bit large for your average Asian. Just based on the video reviews and the people driving them.

CHAMPIONSHIPWHITE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CRZ,S2000,CTR,PASSPORT
Country flag
I doubt they got smaller seats. It's probably the same sized seats for the entire market.

I have a feeling the seats might even be a bit large for your average Asian. Just based on the video reviews and the people driving them.

LoL these seats hug you really tight, if you have big thighs youre johnson is getting squished LOL

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
So i'm learning from this I should just stick to my original idea of buying another Mustang, or get a Civic Si.

m3cosmos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE
Country flag
In regards seats boasters to the best of my memory I'd say.

Tighter than the Recaro on the US Lancer evolution 8-10
Tighter than the GT350R seats. The GT350 is about same width as the lancer evolution.
A little tigher than the CLA45 Recaro

A little wider than benz C63
Way wider than the right hand drive JDM recaro on the 2010 STI

similar to Recaro on the focus RS.

CHAMPIONSHIPWHITE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CRZ,S2000,CTR,PASSPORT
Country flag
In regards seats boasters to the best of my memory I'd say.

Tighter than the Recaro on the US Lancer evolution 8-10
Tighter than the GT350R seats. The GT350 is about same width as the lancer evolution.
A little tigher than the CLA45 Recaro

A little wider than benz C63
Way wider than the right hand drive JDM recaro on the 2010 STI

similar to Recaro on the focus RS.
Tighter than the recaro's on the GTR also.

OP
OP

donald_s

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sport Manual
Country flag
Ayau, I KNEW someone would come along and make a snarky comment like that. Some people just can't help themselves. Basically anyone who wears an XL or larger shirt can't comfortably drive a Civic Type-R, which is about 35% of the male population of the US and Europe.

As for trading seats, it's not easily done. Remember all the electronics and sensors in the seats. I explored this option when looking into a VW GTI, buying and swapping in standard Golf seats and the dealer said "No way". It would completely invalidate the warranty and they wouldn't take on the liability.

The thing I hate is that this is a relatively new phenomenon. In 2007 I drove a new Corvette Z06, which is in a completely different class from the hot hatch we're talking about here. The seats in that car were no problem. But a new Corvette? Forget it.

dpaglianite

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Ayau, I KNEW someone would come along and make a snarky comment like that. Some people just can't help themselves. Basically anyone who wears an XL or larger shirt can't comfortably drive a Civic Type-R, which is about 35% of the male population of the US and Europe.

As for trading seats, it's not easily done. Remember all the electronics and sensors in the seats. I explored this option when looking into a VW GTI, buying and swapping in standard Golf seats and the dealer said "No way". It would completely invalidate the warranty and they wouldn't take on the liability.

The thing I hate is that this is a relatively new phenomenon. In 2007 I drove a new Corvette Z06, which is in a completely different class from the hot hatch we're talking about here. The seats in that car were no problem. But a new Corvette? Forget it.
You are not alone, lots of jerks here, that is the other reason I'm dumping mine, tires is the other.

I'm not fat at all, in fact I'm 198lbs n ripped and these seats dig my ribs. It takes about 15 min before the ride becomes very uncomfortable.

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
Unfortunately it's pretty rare that any performance car seats end up one size fits all. Over time and adjustments you fill find them somewhat more comfortable but for those with back issues or a certain body shape that may not be the case. I have owned cars like the EVO X and Focus ST with recaro seats that took a little time to get used to but much preferred those to the less supportive seats you get in STI's and non-Recaro Mustangs. I just find it much easier to corner at high speeds when I'm not sliding around in my seat and since that's the purpose for performance cars I feel putting in less supportive seats defeat the purpose of the car.

OP
OP

donald_s

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sport Manual
Country flag
heavyD, this is however a relatively new phenomenon. We somehow got along in (say) a Corvette for 50 years without having high bolsters. I think it's like the flat steering wheel, more for looks than function.

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
No it isn't a new phenomenon - well, sort of.

For example, for decades, Porsche has had 'standard' and 'sport' seats available, with bolstering the difference.

From the '70s, I fit nicely in my early-'70's Carrera RS (Touring) seat, and there was no way I could fit in the more-aggresively-bolstered 911 ST seat. I am about the same measurements as you.

From the '80's, I fit in the standard seats in my 944's; but the side bolsters of the 'sport' seats were painfully snug - alhough I did just fine in the 968 RS shell seats (a variation of Recaro Pole Positions).

From the '90's, I had Recaro SRD's, which are essentially the same as the EK9 Type R Recaro seat - I barely fit.

So seat bolstering isn't new. What's new are two things:

First, it is that cars (other than Porsches, etc.,) are coming from their factories with a level of performance - where 'performance' is defined by road-course ability - that demands a driver environment that supports that performance - which has always meant bolsters. However, unlike Porsche, they can't afford to charge customers the costs of meeting safety, etc., regulations for multiple different seats/airbags/sensors/etc. Even Porsche these days is not offering some seat options in the North American market that they offer elsewhere. Thus, there is only one seat, and it must be bolstered.

Second, the situation is compounded if the vehicle has relatively low production volumes and is a 'world' car, like the Type R (and unlike, say, a primarily-North American market car like the GT350R). It isn't just sports cars that have this issue, but it is primarily with sports cars. I spent this past weekend at the track in a BRZ, and it was a tight fit. However, this situation can arise with any low-production 'world' car. For example, Google away at the people (from North America) complaining about Chevy Bolt seats digging into their thighs, etc. (I've sat in one - it was a snug fit for me.)

All that to say is that seats with bolsters are not for looks; they are for function - and, in low-production cars where one version (also) serves a large market outside North America, then the one resulting seat size will, unfortunately, not fit all.

... and I'll be sitting in 'my' Type R for the first time sometime this month, and I hope that I will fit! :confused1:

ETA: I fit just fine. 5'9", 215 lbs, 42" waist, 46" chest, 17" neck. As an aside, vanity sizing means my 42" waist fits in size 34 jeans ...

Last edited:

Canteenboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
+1 for Honda T.O. I was the first one to sit in their first SI even before it went into PDI.
What color was the Si? Black? I bought that one with 4 miles on the odometer :). They were the only ones around not asking $5K ADM on the Si. They sold the blue Type R for $37K with all the accessories.

Bonestock91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Fit
What color was the Si? Black? I bought that one with 4 miles on the odometer :). They were the only ones around not asking $5K ADM on the Si. They sold the blue Type R for $37K with all the accessories.
It was a blue sedan. Looked so nice!
Sponsored