The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

Zedaine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Updated Notes

Vehicle: 2018 Civic Sport Hatchback Manual

Total tuned time: 30 months total:
18 Months on Hondata Flashpro Carb +9
6 Months on Hondata Flashpro TSP Stage 1
2 Months on Hondata Flashpro Custom E-Tune from Derek Robinson @ IMW
4 Months on KTuner V2 Custom E-Tune from Derek Robinson @ IMW

Tuned miles driven: 47,000+

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata CARB Flashpro, Hondata Flashpro, currently using KTuner V2

Tunes used: Hondata Flashpro Carb +9, Flashpro TSP Stage 1, Custom E-Tune from Derek Robin @ IMW with Hondata Flashpro and now with KTuner V2.

Fuel used: Mostly Shell 91, sometimes Costco 91, Chevron 91, Sinclair 91, Exxon 91. Always 91 Octane.

Additional related mods: Bone stock on Hondata Flashpro Carb +9 tune. Installed PRL Cold Air Intake w/ Race MAF, 27won FMIC, 27won FPB Exhaust, Exedy Stage 1 Clutch and Exedy Lightweight Flywheel for Hondata Flashpro while I had the TSP Stage 1. Installed 27won catted downpipe for about a week and got a custom tune from IMW Derek Robinson. Switched to KTuner V2 shortly after my first e-tune with IMW.

Problems/issues: Nothing major. I have had the PRL intake filter to get soaked by a touchless car wash once and that caused misfires and the car to go into limp mode because it was being suffocated by the filter media being wet. After the filter dried completely the car has ran fine and there doesn't appear to be any permanent damage as this was almost a year ago. However, because of how much of a pain it is to get access to the filter to clean it and this incident, I am planning on switching to the 27won intake with race maf later this year. Of course I avoid that particular car wash from now on (has an aggressive under carriage wash that seems to get water into the fenders).

Other than that one incident, this Honda continues to run strong and all fluids stay topped off and changed regularly. I use AMSOIL SS 0w20 with AMSOIL EA Filter and change it every 8k-10k miles, as verified by the two major oil analysis companies, this interval is more than often enough and I am told I could possible go even longer. Haven't noticed the coolant levels going low. I use AC Delco Friction Modified Transmission Fluid as I have found that to feel the best, especially in winter, and change that every 20k miles, or every other oil change.

Driving style: Mostly conservative day to day with a few pulls onto the freeways every now and then. Occasionally some spirited canyon driving on the weekends. I allow the car to warm up fully before driving her hard.

Tuning experience notes: This is my first real project car, which is also my daily driver. So I am trying to be very careful with all of the mods and tuning that I do. So far so good, but I've been bitten by the bug and I am planning on adding a 27Won W1 Turbo, 27Won TIP, and swapping out the PRL Intake for the 27Won Intake with Race MAF later this year and getting my tune updated right away by Derek. E-Tuning with Derek Robinson at IMW is a real treat and I highly recommend anyone who is looking for custom tuning to use his services.

Dyno Results when on Hondata Flashpro TSP Stage 1 with PRL Cold Air Intake w/ Race MAF, 27won FMIC, 27won FPB Exhaust, Exedy Stage 1 Clutch and Exedy Lightweight Flywheel:
WHP: 219
Torque: 270
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 1618976415460

Dyno Results when on KTuner V2 and added the 27won Catted Downpipe:
WHP: 233
Torque: 286
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 1618976499825

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 1618978668821

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks a lot for the big update and dyno pics. Car is still looking great, too.

You were actually one of early "tuning survey" posters back in October 2019. If we could just get more people adding updates (even once a year) it would be huge. :bow:

Last edited:

ilipac

@blueFK7
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got rid of my EX hatchback and got a Sport Touring Hatch.

Ktuner V2
PRL CAI Race
TSP Stage 1
(Rev9 Intercooler core, not installed YET)

lol so i full sent and tuned it day 1 from the dealership (had to wait for TSP since my ECU# changed along with Race MAF upgrade) I'm at 1600 miles now on the clock and zero issues. Race MAF has slightly higher K.con (0.49-.59 on highway pulls) 0.5-1gal of E85 keeps Kcon pretty close to 0.49. Always running Sunoco 93 unless no top tier is available (then I baby the car)

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) APC_0114-hdr

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) IMG_5139

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just a reminder that everyone should add their car using the format in the first post. It just makes things more uniform and easier for me to accurately update the stats. Thanks.

cocoroos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport
Country flag
Just found out about this thread. Love seeing the data and want to contribute also:

Vehicle: 2017 Civic Sport Hatch (CVT)

Total tuned time: 14 months

Total tuned mileage: 10,500

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata CARB Flashpro

Tunes used: Hondata +6 (CARB)

Fuel used: Costco 91, more recently Loves' 93

Additional engine mods: 27Won CAI (only within last 200 miles)

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Somewhat aggressive, not WOT all the time but definitely a couple times a week. No track use, no canyon use since the tune.

Tuning experience notes: Bought to flash & forget, haven't been monitoring any stats since. Didn't mess with any custom settings. Regret getting the CARB but it was cheap (secondhand) at the time--may upgrade to KTuner at some point as I start playing with more engine modifications. No engine failures, though CVT whine got worse, fixed by a transmission fluid flush.

Adding an update here.

Vehicle: 2017 Civic Sport Hatch (CVT)

Total tuned time: 20 months

Total tuned mileage: 20,500 (additional 10k miles from cross country trips)

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata CARB Flashpro

Tunes used: Hondata +6 (CARB)

Fuel used: Costco 93

Additional engine mods: 27Won CAI, PRL FMIC (new from last time)

Driving style: Same

Tuning experience notes: Thinking of going to the Phearable tune at this point and upgrading to race MAF + downpipe. I think I'm really leaving a lot of performance on the table with the CARB tune but honestly not in a rush.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately, Phearable 1.5 is KTuner only but the TSP1 is available for Hondata. I just don't know if it's compatible with the CARB Flashpro.

I started with a CARB Flashpro and it was decent enough. But, switching to a KTuner V2, it was night and day. The KTuner basemaps have many more settings to not only improve driveability but add to the fun.

The other thing is you won't really be able to run a RACE MAF and downpipe on that CARB platform.

cocoroos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport
Country flag
Unfortunately, Phearable 1.5 is KTuner only but the TSP1 is available for Hondata. I just don't know if it's compatible with the CARB Flashpro.

I started with a CARB Flashpro and it was decent enough. But, switching to a KTuner V2, it was night and day. The KTuner basemaps have many more settings to not only improve driveability but add to the fun.

The other thing is you won't really be able to run a RACE MAF and downpipe on that CARB platform.
Oh yeah, I'm well aware -- I'd be moving to a KTuner w/ Phearable and selling the CARB unit!

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Good luck with that. They are a really tough sell. Trust me.

rikuhj

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
Vehicle: 2021 Civic Sport CVT

Total tuned time: 3 days ago

Tuned miles driven: 150

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1 right away

Fuel used: 92 is the highest here

Additional related mods: Stock.

Driving style: Grandma to save gas, will punch it if I get provoked or someone trying cut me off.

Tuning experience notes: Just got this car few weeks ago and I bought Ktuner before having this car. Itchy hand like mine flashed the ECU when I broke the car in at 800 miles. I read that few guys said it's good to break in a car fresh off lot with a tune. I waited till I broke the engine properly. I must say that TSP made my lungs go through my head with map 3. Will update if my engine lasted this long, lol.
Update:

Vehicle: 2021 Civic Sport CVT

Total tuned time: About 2 weeks

Tuned miles driven: about 700 now.

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1/Phearable 1.5

Fuel used: 92 is the highest here

Additional related mods: Stock.

Driving style: Grandma to save gas, will punch it if I get provoked or someone trying cut me off.

Tuning experience notes: I went ahead and bought Phearable 1.5. I was playing with TSP and Phearable tune and I found out that TSP is still faster from butt dyno than Phearable, BUT Phearable tune from what I experienced is slow on a get go on low range. I think that it was that way to protect the CVT, but mid range that's where the tune shine. I will stay with Phearable for now for reliability and switch with TSP here and there if I want to floor someone around the highway.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Appreciate the updates guys. Keep 'em coming.

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update! Original Post June 2020

Vehicle: 2020 Civic Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 10 months

Total tuned mileage: 12500 miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used:
Phearable Stage 1.5
Phearable Stage 1.5R

Fuel used: 93 Octane

Additional engine mods:
PRL Intake CAI
27Won Turbo Inlet Pipe

Problems/issues: Clutch went so I upgraded to the Type R Retrofit

Driving style: Slightly speedy with aggressive moments depending on my mood.

Tuning experience notes: I Personally don’t feel that much of a difference between the 1.5R Tune and the standard. Both are really good tho so I can’t complain. Only issues I have is I think my car leans out some times because mid pulls depending on the day I may get where the boost will go up to 23 and slowly go back down as I stay in it. My intercooler and down pipe/front pipe should be here Monday so I will be having DRob dyno time it soon and I won’t have any issues.

BF27BC45-1BA6-4E0F-943D-98F7B2B01E88.jpeg
do you happen to have a link or name for those tail lights? the smoked housing looks dope

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

rikuhj

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
those are for the hatchback :/ i have the si sedan, like the op of the post i quoted asking about it
My apologies, I wasn't reading properly. Lol, but I'm sure ebay have those in the suggested section.
Sponsored