The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Added new stat showing owners who splash a gallon or two of E85 to improve octane (mostly 91 users, some 93).

Current thread stats and info

Total tuned cars submitted: 602

Total tuned miles driven: 8,482,350 (reported)
Car with most tuned miles: choo (101,000+)

Cars with major failures: 15 (2.5%)
Failures by model: Si: 3; Non-Si: 12; CTR: 0; 2.0 NA: 0
Failures by tune type: Base: 7; OTS: 2; Custom: 6

Percentage of cars running reliably: 97.5%

Transmission type: CVT (194); Manual (408)

Hondata used for tuning: 126; Race (109) Carb (17)
KTuner used for tuning: 502; V1.2 (283) V2 (219)

JB4 used as tuning device: 3
RaceChip used as tuning device: 4
Motec used as tuning device: 3

Pro custom tuned cars: 112
Base tuned only cars: 180

Most popular OTS tune: TSP Stage 1 (261)
Other popular OTS tune: Phearable Stage 1.5 (103)
Newest OTS tunes: TSP 1+ (15); Phearable 1.5R (9)

Top rated pro tuners: Derek Robinson, John Vega

Submissions by model: Si (272); 1.5T Non-Si (268); Type R (43); 2.0 NA (19)

Most popular fuel: 93 octane (311)
Users adding some E85 (not flex fuel): 76
Flex fuel kit users: 63

Cars with no added bolt ons: 192
Cars with at least one bolt on: 288
Cars running full bolt on setups: 122

Upgraded turbos installed: 42
Sponsored

Last edited:

Twills97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Honda Civic Si sedan

Total tuned time: around 4 months, 3 of them being cold air, winter time

Tuned miles driven: around 6k

Tuning device(s) used: ktuner V2

Tunes used: TSP 1

Fuel used: shell 93 vpower

Additional related mods: mishimoto short ram

Problems/issues: other than when hot, knock control seems to creep up if I stay in map 3, if I change to map 2 or 1 it seems to go back down.

Afr at idle on start up is between 14.6 to 15.0, when I come to a stop at a red light it stays at 12.2 to 13, then after about 15 seconds goes back up to normal. Also when I'm cruising, if I let go of the gas, then barly hit the gas to stay at speed, it goes to 12 then just like at the red light goes back to 14.6 after about 5 secs. Have no idea what this could be.

Driving style: spirited, only about 50% of the time, unless someone wants some gapplebees haha

Tuning experience notes: love the tune, wakes the car up bigtime. Kinda boring when I go back to the stock tune.

Going to be buying the tsp 1+ tune now, and gonna watch my numbers. I'm probably gonna have to buy a Intercooler soon, been thinking about going back to the stock intake until I can buy the Intercooler and the 27won Cai!

Like Quote Reply

bluebluemike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Sedan MT
Country flag
UPDATE FROM POST #1989

Vehicle
: 2019 Honda Civic Sport Sedan 6MT (2.0L)

Total tuned time: 2 months

Total tuned mileage: 1,300 (approximately)

Current mileage: 27,500

Tune used: KTuner Base map

Additional mods
: AFE power takeda oiled short ram intake, Michelin A/S 3+, active exhaust before muffler (muffler delete) NEW: RV6 Catless downpipe at 27,000.

Problems/Issues: Still slow :p A/C problems - fixed under warranty. Driver-side axle replaced after "knocking" and "clicking" sounds while turning fully at slow speeds - fixed under warranty (premature failure most like due to many hard launches and reverse donuts, 0 reverse donuts (for probably ever) and very few hard launches on new axle so far)

Fuel Used: 93 Octane since tune requires 91+ (Mostly Costco/Shell fuel), previous was mix between 87-93.

Driving style: Very aggressive and more spirited driving almost daily since day 1. WOT pulls from 1st and 2nd almost every drive after tune. Rarely WOT on highway bc slow, rarely go above 85. A few pulls in Mexico to 130. Rarely WOT in 3rd, 4th, 5th. Race digs and rolls occasionally. TX2K meant a few minutes of driving between 100-130 in Mexico. Half city, half highway miles, go very easy on highway commutes. Have done autocross style driving. When not on throttle, drive like your grandma (less than 2k rpm). With new downpipe

DISCLAIMER: Since day 1 I have been launching the car to redline, even before break-in period (Yes I know I am an idiot, I didn't know the break-in period was so important as this is my first manual car). I have done reverse donuts in this car, never held at redline. I have done tray donuts in this car, never held at redline. Stopped doing donuts because that's idiotic. I will update this as I go. I know I am hard on my car, I drive it like it's a racecar. I take full responsibility for anything that goes wrong. I have since learned to take care of the car, treat it properly, and do frequent inspections to make sure everything is okay.

Edcalgarian

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Honda Civic Si

Total tuned time: 1 month

Tuned miles driven: 1000 km's

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5

Fuel used: Petro Canada 94 Octane

Additional related mods: Mishimoto intake, BMS intercooler

Problems/issues:
No issues yet, only had car for 1.5 months. Tune runs flawless with no problems

Driving style: Very conservative with a little bit of spirited driving on the highway but not often

Fk7Peyton

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic sport hatchback
Country flag
Updated
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Sport Hatchback 6MT

Total tuned time: 4 Months

Tuned miles driven: 6k

Tunes used: previously TSP Stage 1. Currently use Ktuner base maps with artificial knock control rise remover. Gonna go custom tune sooner than later due to the new downpipe.

Fuel used: 93oct wawa , switched to shell 93+ K.contr is a lot better on shell.

Additional engine mods: PRL Race Cobra CAI, PRL intercooler w charge pipes, PRL Catted downpipe, PRL front pipe, Greddy sp exhaust.

Problems/issues: weird low rpm noises with catted downpipe, just installed today might go away with time.

Driving style: try to stay under 3k RPM until ECT is to temp. Then I give it a bit before I go WOT for all the other fluids to be up to temp, usually 15 minutes is a good indicator. I’d say due to my age I drive more recklessly than most, with that being said I don’t let my k.contr go over .75. Highway driving I am pretty calm unless merging or some brz with an exhaust thinks they are quicker than me and pray they don’t have a spooly boy.
Future Plans-
should have a dyno scheduled with drob by the end of the day.

Last edited:

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Sport Hatchback 6MT

Total tuned time: 4 Months

Tuned miles driven: 6k

Tunes used: previously TSP Stage 1. Currently use Ktuner base maps with artificial knock control rise remover. Gonna go custom tune sooner than later due to the new downpipe.

Fuel used: 93oct wawa , switched to shell 93+ K.contr is a lot better on shell.

Additional engine mods: PRL Race Cobra CAI, PRL intercooler w charge pipes, PRL Catted downpipe, PRL front pipe, Greddy sp exhaust.

Problems/issues: weird low rpm noises with catted downpipe, just installed today might go away with time.

Driving style: try to stay under 3k RPM until ECT is to temp. Then I give it a bit before I go WOT for all the other fluids to be up to temp, usually 15 minutes is a good indicator. I’d say due to my age I drive more recklessly than most, with that being said I don’t let my k.contr go over .75. Highway driving I am pretty calm unless merging or some brz with an exhaust thinks they are quicker than me and pray they don’t have a spooly boy.
Thanks for the update. By the way, don't forget to add "update" to your post so people know you're updating and not a new car to the thread.

With full bolt ons definitely get a custom tune to dial things in properly. How are your fuel trims looking?

Fk7Peyton

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic sport hatchback
Country flag
With full bolt ons definitely get a custom tune to dial things in properly. How are your fuel trims looking?
[/QUOTE]

should have a dyno tune date set by the end of the day. And fuel trims looks good no super high numbers. A little bit richer than usual at -5% LTFT rather than my usual -3%. Don’t think anything I should be too worried about, but planning on babying it. That is until it gets off the dyno.

bluebluemike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
should have a dyno tune date set by the end of the day. And fuel trims looks good no super high numbers. A little bit richer than usual at -5% LTFT rather than my usual -3%. Don’t think anything I should be too worried about, but planning on babying it. That is until it gets off the dyno.
[/QUOTE]
So negative fuel trims are rich and positive are lean? I thought it was the other way around ?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Si Coupe

Total tuned time: 6 months

Total tuned mileage: 3,000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V1.2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1 for Si

Fuel used: Chevron and Shell 92 (highest octane offered in Oregon)

Additional engine mods: 27Won CAI, ACT Organic clutch kit, 27Won RMM, Ruthenium HX plugs.

Problems/issues: Clutch slipped the first day I had the tune flashed. I was on the freeway going ~70 and I mashed it in 4th gear on a 90 degree, banked interchange ramp.

After I tuned, I notice I began to have an oil leak that appears to be from the timing chain inspection cover. I doubt it's related to the tune, but it coincidentally started after.

Many, many clutch master cylinder issues that are documented in other threads I've made. Still working that one out, but it's mostly related to the clutch swap instead of the tune.

Driving style: I rail on it constantly. I rarely hit it hard from a dig but we have many, many beautiful and curvy back highways here I hit up all the time. I'm just waiting for my 4th gear to blow up since that's where I spend most of my time.

Tuning experience notes: This was my first experience tuning a car. The cost of entry is very, very low on this platform, especially for Ktuner, for the entire ecosystem and level of community and vendor support you receive.

TSP Stage 1 for Si really, really unlocks the great potential these engines have. At first I was very cautious, watching fuel trims and knock control religiously. I still have tunerview setup to automatically launch on the head unit every ignition cycle so I can watch the readouts for peace of mind. But it's been long enough without a hiccup with regards to the engine I feel comfortable driving the way I want to instead of constantly acting as if I'm driving on glass and watching knock control.

One major downside I've noticed about the V1.2 is the tunerview app for the head unit has many, many bugs. It constantly disconnects and stops reading values from the Ktuner. It frequently will not connect on app launch. And all the time it gets stuck in a loop where it constantly dims the screen and says it's connecting to the ktuner when it's already connected and reading out values. I wish there was a better solution for this, but outside of getting a V2 which has its own display or using a phone or tablet to run it independently of the head unit, I feel there is no real solution.

Additionally, I am very bummed that tunerview won't show knock count. The ktuner software shows it, the V2 shows it. Why can't the 1.2 show it in tunerview?
Updated fields:

Total tuned time: 16 months

Total tuned mileage: 10,000 miles

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1+ for Si

Fuel used: Chevron and Shell 92 with 1 gallon of E85 per tank

No new problems or issues. Just finally getting my clutch line sorted after all this time.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
JT... me and the community appreciate the updates.

I wish everyone would at least do updates a couple times a year. We're missing a lot of reliable tuned miles in the stats, unfortunately.

Last edited:

bluebluemike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would also appreciate if anyone is having issues with their driveshafts/cv joints/half-shafts/etc. to join this data collection thread. Seemed like a good idea to put it in a thread where reliability data is being collected.

Driver Side CV Joint/Driveshaft issues Data Collection

Rochyfc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 honda civic si sedan
Mileage: 19456
Running tsp stage 1 for 16k miles, tsp stage 1+ for 1.5k miles then went tsp stage 2 ~300 miles.
Mods:Stock clutch(slipped only on tsp stage 1 and +), prl race maf, rv6 catless downpipe and front pipe, flex fuel bc coils enkei nt03 18x9.5 40 offset, type r lower brace, acuity shifter retrofitted headlights
Tuning device: ktuner v2
Driving style: laid back, small burts of speed.

Tunes: tsp stage1, tsp stage1+, tsp stage 2

StayAtHomeDad

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI, '97 TJ, '17 Alltrack, '03 Escalade
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic SI Sean

Total tuned time: 24 hours

Tuned miles driven: <200 miles

Tuning device(s) used: kTuner v.2

Tunes used: Tsp 1+ from two step performance, tried some k tuner base tunes

Fuel used: 93 octanes( w/ ethanol -e10) , usually top tier from kwik trip. Tried a non ethanol gas before tuning.

Additional related mods: currently stock, awaiting parts delivery... Sigh ?

Problems/issues: none yet

Driving style: likely aggressive. I use cruise control religiously, but up until that point I take full use of the throttle pedal. Example: leaving my driveway is a 55mph country highway... I've got to keep up!!! Besides that, I like to take cruises through our scenic roads, utilizing the posted signs as speed suggestions ( 25 mph curve means 3rd gear full throttle right?)

Tuning experience notes: This is my first time tuning and I've gone from total tuning novice to now feeling ill prepared for all the variables. So much to learn! Initially I wasnt impressed with the tsp1+. I then went to a kTuner base tune ( starter 23) with some variables changed. Then tried stock again. Finally returned to the tsp 1+, and now with about 200 miles on the tune, I love it. I don't know if it took break in, or for me to remember the detuned experience, but I am impressed with the tsp 1+ tune. I got the mid-range response I wanted, I seem to have greater engine breaking braking ability ( no rev hang, I think... Combined with throttle padding). Haven't tried anything but stock, kTuner base, and tsp 1+... But I know what I'm sticking with.
Sponsored