The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Nearly as many custom as base map failures. I wouldn't have expected that.
My theory is that OTS tunes are safest because the tuners lock them down to changes and are super protected down low.

On the other hand, the base tunes allow for aggressive user tweaking. And the custom tunes generally are outputting the highest power.
Sponsored

SI(ck)Civic

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic si
Country flag
Sooooo my k.con hit 1.05 today in the 19.5/23.5 tune doing a pull in sport mode. My knock count was only 3... is this good/bad/REALLY BAD????? Switching back to factory/21.5

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Very bad. It should never get that high.

Possibly a bad batch of gas. What does k. control look like with the lower power tune?

BTW, knock count is basically meaningless. Unless you are seeing hundreds in a small time frame.

booost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
UPDATE: Added a W1 Turbo and a re-tune from my trusty tuner @phearable

Vehicle: 2020 Civic SI

Total tuned time: 6 months

Tuned miles driven: 12,500+

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V1.2 w/ Tunerview on an Amazon Fire 7 Tablet

Turbo Upgrade: 27WON W1

Tunes used: Custom tuned by @phearable

Fuel used: Shell E85 / 93 Octane

Maintenance: Engine oil and filter changed every 3k miles. Brake fluid changed prior track days. Spark plugs changed every 10k miles. Transmission fluid changed every 2 months. Rotating tires with every engine oil change.

Additional engine mods: W1 Turbo, 3" MAperformance downpipe, 3" PRL frontpipe, 3" exhaust back with 3" Vibrant resonator, 27WON CAI, 27WON turbo inlet pipe, Mishimoto oil catch can, Mishimoto Intercooler, 27WON RMM, Clutchmasters FX350 Clutch, Hybrid short throw shifter, Hybrid shifter cable bushings, PRL Flex-Fuel Kit, Eibach Pro Springs, Acuity throttle pedal spacer.

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: It's 50/50 my daily mon-fri and track car on the weekends. Calm in the morning to work, spicy on my way home.

Tuning experience notes: First time tuning, it's pretty easier with Ktuner. I can't explain enough how great my custom tuning experience was with @phearable. Professional dude, knows his stuff and I know I am in good hands. Love my tune, changed my car completely for the better.

UPDATE: Added flex fuel and added new parts. @gtman. Also adding a maintenance aspect to the questionnaire if it helps.

Vehicle: 2020 Civic SI

Tuned miles driven: 6,500+

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V1.2 w/ Tunerview on headunit

Tunes used: Custom tuned by @phearable

Fuel used: Shell E85 / 93 Octane

Maintenance: Engine oil and filter changed every 3k miles. Brake fluid changed prior track days. Spark plugs changed every 10k miles. Transmission fluid changed every 2 months. Rotating tires with every engine oil change.

Additional engine mods: 3" MAperformance downpipe, 3" PRL frontpipe, 3" exhaust back with 3" Vibrant resonator, 27WON CAI, 27WON turbo inlet pipe, Mishimoto oil catch can, Mishimoto Intercooler, 27WON RMM, Clutchmasters FX350 Clutch, Hybrid short throw shifter, Hybrid shifter cable bushings, PRL Flex-Fuel Kit, Eibach Pro Springs, Acuity throttle pedal spacer.

Driving style: It's 50/50 my daily mon-fri and track car on the weekends. Calm in the morning to work, spicy on my way home.

Tuning experience notes: First time tuning, it's pretty easier with Ktuner. I can't explain enough how great my custom tuning experience was with @phearable. Professional dude, knows his stuff and I know I am in good hands. Love my tune, changed my car completely for the better.

civicren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sport touring cvt 2017
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Sport Touring CVT Canadian
Bought as Certified PO at 12x,000Kms
Currently at 150k km @ 2021-04-13
started adding bolt-ons from ( began 2021-01 ~ end ongoing)

Total tuned time: 1 month (began 2021-03 ~ end ongoing)

Tuned miles driven: 1,000km @ 2021-04-13

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata CARB Flashpro

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1 Non-Si

Fuel used: Costco Premium (91)

Additional related mods:
Pipe, Front: PRL PRL-HC10-DP-FP;
Pipe, Down: PRL PRL-HC10-DPC;
Inter-cooler: PRL PRL-HC10-IC;
Intake: PWJDM PWCPC-FKX-T0C;

etc..

Problems/issues: None w TSP

Driving style: Eco: Sport = 9 : 1

Tuning experience notes: Totally noob, like it so far. probably made some stupid changes myself with the hondata +6 map and had misfire, solved after flashing to TSP tune.

SI(ck)Civic

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic si
Country flag
Very bad. It should never get that high.

Possibly a bad batch of gas. What does k. control look like with the lower power tune?

BTW, knock count is basically meaningless. Unless you are seeing hundreds in a small time frame.
Switched back to the factory/21.5 tune and I’m hovering at .55, went up to .62 and as low as .49 on my commute (35 minute drive). I maybe spent 10/15 minutes in the 23.5 tune.

I’m using shell premium 91, should I be adding boosters to get higher?

is There already a thread with the best things to watch on the ktuner?

I.e k.con>1.0, IAT2>x, etc.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Switched back to the factory/21.5 tune and I’m hovering at .55, went up to .62 and as low as .49 on my commute (35 minute drive). I maybe spent 10/15 minutes in the 23.5 tune.

I’m using shell premium 91, should I be adding boosters to get higher?

is There already a thread with the best things to watch on the ktuner?

I.e k.con>1.0, IAT2>x, etc.
A gallon of E85 would stabilize knock control.

Real time, I mostly monitor knock control, IAT 1&2, ECT 1&2, LTFT1 and STFT 1.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Figure I'd make a post!

Vehicle: 2019 Civic Si Sedan

Tuned miles driven: 6,000+

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1 (<1 month / 1k)
Phearable Stage 1.5 (>5 months / 5k)

Fuel used: BP 93 (exclusively)

Additional engine mods: 27Won CAI (Street MAF) + 27Won TIP

Driving style: 80% tame / 20% aggresive

Tuning experience notes: I've used KTuner + basemaps on a previous vehicle, but this is my first tuned turbo vehicle. I must say that the OTS tunes from TSP and Phearable really wake the car up and still allow for seamless daily driving. I do like the on-the-fly map switching with ktuner any time that I want to mix things up. I will say that I prefer Phearable vs. TSP for more linear power delivery and better highway fuel efficiency. It's amazing how improved the engine feels with these mods+tune and still average 35+ MPGs with mixed driving!

Update!

I upgraded from the Phearable stage 1.5 tune to the Stage 1.5R tune on the day it came out (Feb 13th), so figure I'd give an update after 2 months with this tune.

Vehicle: 2019 Civic Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 10 months

Tuned miles driven: 10,000+

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1 (1 month / 1k)
Phearable Stage 1.5 (7 months / 7k)
Phearable Stage 1.5R (2 months / 2k)

Fuel used: BP 93 (exclusively)

Additional engine mods: 27Won CAI (Street MAF), 27Won TIP, Mishimoto FMIC w/charge pipes, CTR retrofit clutch & flywheel, kzCMC

Driving style: 80% tame / 20% aggresive

Tuning experience notes: Last 2 months with the Phearable 1.5R tune have been GREAT! I like the raised idle speed (800 RPM) since I have upgraded motor mounts (Perrin RMM inserts). The new 6800 redline RPM limit works, but I probably won't spend too much time up there! I've driven in each of the 3 maps for 2-3 weeks and I'll probably stick with Map 1 unless I really need the extra boost. Map 1 on this tune feels even more refined than Map 1 on the Stage 1.5 tune. It almost feels like an NA car with the way boost-by-gear is set up in 1st and 2nd gear. Tip my cap to Mr. Vega at Phearable for making another awesome OTS tune!

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just a quick note on a stat I find interesting. A few months back both TSP and Phearable released upgrades to their OTS tunes.

Based on the numbers from this thread, only 5% of TSP users have upgraded to the 1+ version. 9% of Phearable users have upgraded to the R version. Seems low to me.

Of course there could be a few explanations. Maybe everybody's happy with their current tune ( especially TSP). Or maybe it's just that more Phearable users have updated their tune info in the thread.

Just a reminder, if you do switch tunes, don't forget to add a post reflecting that. Thanks.

danfg2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Platinum White Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Just a quick note on a stat I find interesting. A few months back both TSP and Phearable released upgrades to their OTS tunes.

Based on the numbers from this thread, only 5% of TSP users have upgraded to the 1+ version. 9% of Phearable users have upgraded to the R version. Seems low to me.

Of course there could be a few explanations. Maybe everybody's happy with their current tune ( especially TSP). Or maybe it's just that more Phearable users have updated their tune info in the thread.

Just a reminder, if you do switch tunes, don't forget to add a post reflecting that. Thanks.
I think thats because most people are some what satisfied with the current numbers that TSP Stage 1 and Phearable 1.5 get. I would like to get the 1.5 R tune from phearable but its made for 93 octane and even though I could add E85 like i do to my car currently I just feel like I'm putting my car even more at risk for a slipping clutch or other problems. I probably will get the 1.5 R tune eventually but California summers + shitty gas + stock intercooler and clutch are holding me back for the moment.

SI(ck)Civic

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic si
Country flag
A gallon of E85 would stabilize knock control.

Real time, I mostly monitor knock control, IAT 1&2, ECT 1&2, LTFT1 and STFT 1.
If I put 10 gallons of 91 and 1.5-2 gallons of e85, is that going to mess my engine up? I haven’t converted to ethanol (probably obvious) and don’t have anything special, what’s the point break? Will the dealer be able to tell if there’s ethanol mixed fuel after I flash back to factory?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
With 10 gallons, maybe 1 gallon+ would be enough. Definitely don't do 2 gallons. And no, a dealer wouldn't know you did that.

Dubers

First Name
Stevie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2017 Civic Touring, 2010 Civic EX-L Coupe 5sp
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 7 months

Tuned miles driven: 11,000km

Tunes used: Ktuner canned tunes

Fuel used: Esso 91/93

Additional related mods: PRL race intake, PRL catted dp, Perrin rmm, CTR rear sway bar, subframe brace

Problems/issues: none

Driving style: Relaxed until I see a curve :drive:

TiltCtrls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Si Coupe

Total tuned time: ~2 month

Tuned miles driven: ~700 miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5

Fuel used: 91 with 1.1 gallons of e85

Additional related mods: 27won street maf intake, Invidia R400 Exhaust

Problems/issues: Rev hang delete causes my car to stutter if I let go of the throttle at 2k rpm. Its a 2020 model issue so I guess I'll have to live with it until there is a fix.

Driving style: Normally 5-10+ the speed limit, WOT when entering freeways, and the occasional canyon runs.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
TiltCtrls, as far as the rev hang delete jerkiness, try changing the throttle padding setting in quick adjustments and see if that helps smooth things out.

Now for the big news. You just helped this thread achieve a HUGE double milestone.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 200

#1 - You added the 600th tuned car to the thread.

#2 - You are using the 500th KTuner.

Way to go!
Sponsored

Last edited: