The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Now at about 14,000 tuned miles. I am currently on phearable 1.5R. I also installed a yonaka exhaust and put in an action clutch Stage 3 clutch and flywheel 5,000 miles ago.
That's what I'm talking about! Perfect way to add an update post. Thanks.:bow:

I think a lot of people think they need to do another new "survey". Nope. Quoting your original post and then just posting your changes is EXACTLY how to do it.
Sponsored

Chaucer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Si Coupe

Total tuned time: 2 Months

Tuned miles driven: ~2000 (1400 on 1.5, 600 on 1.5R)

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner 1.2

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5, Phearable 1.5R

Fuel used: Chevron 91 w/1-1.5gal E85

Additional related mods: PRL Cobra CAI Street MAF

Problems/issues: Higher k.con that I would like, but that's due to my shitty gas, not the tunes.

Driving style: On ramp, you mean WOT ramp? My daily commute is barely long enough for my car to fully warm up though (coolant temp isn't a good indicator) so I reserve that kind of driving for the weekends.

Tuning experience notes: I have some prior tuning experience, my 8th gen Si and S2000 were both tuned by Vit via Flashpro. I was disappointed when I found out that Vit doesn't tune this platform anymore, but I have to give props to Phearable/John Vega. He answered more of my questions in a week than Vit did over the course of 2 custom etunes. I feel confident that my car is in good hands with him.

I've done a fair amount of engine work due to my profession, but these engines are so far beyond what you'd find in an aircraft that I feel more comfortable leaving it up to the pros.

-Phearable 1.5 Experience

Phearable's 1.5 tune really is a QoL improvement, even when just commuting. I don't think I could ever go back to stock. The first thing my girlfriend said after the flash was, "it's like you can drive stick again". That following weekend was the first time I didn't miss my S2000 while on a spirited drive, so it was worth it for that alone. I drove each map for about a week, and I really liked the part throttle feel of map 3. Running that much boost at WOT made me feel a little uneasy though, and the heat soak was pretty noticeable, so I settled on map 1. That's what lead to me trying the 1.5R tune. I like the idea of less boost, more timing.

-Phearable 1.5R Experience

This tune feels like a more polished version of the 1.5, and it seems like all my minor nitpicks have been addressed. Going from a stop to cruising speed in map 1 feels more effortless, like how it felt in map 3 on the 1.5, so I love that since I prefer it keep it on a lower boost map. More throttle is needed to accelerate in higher gears, which is a good thing IMO. I don't know if/what boost is limited to in 5 or 6 since I don't WOT in those gears, but a slower boost/throttle ramp makes it easier to not exceed my personal psi limit. Power at WOT in 2nd and 3rd does ramp better too, I’m not having the traction issues I was on the 1.5 tune. I also like the raised RPM limit, because it gives you an extra half second to shift after you hear the beep. Overall, I would say it’s a worthwhile upgrade.

The only issue I’ve experienced is elevated k.con, but that’s not a surprise because I’m stuck with 91oct. I need to add at least 1.5gal of e85 to keep it in the .49-.55 range, which is probably putting me closer to e18-e20. I've been told the pump I use is pretty consistently 80% E, so that's what I base my math off. The tune is stated to be compatible with up to e15, so I may need to go back down to the original 1.5 for now. I really like the feel of the 1.5R tune, so that bums me out, but I knew that was the risk I'd run without access to 93oct.

At this point I'm thinking I might get a flex fuel kit and custom tune from Phearable. I feel more comfortable with the idea of running E30 and lowish boost than 91 and high boost for the same amount of power. I also prefer to keep as much of the car stock as I can, so being able to keep the stock intercooler would be a plus.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Great, detailed post. :thumbsup:

I know I speak for the whole community... thank you!

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Added a new stat for failures by tune type which currently looks like this:

Failures by tune type: Base: 7; OTS: 2; Custom: 6

I realize that's a small sample size but I think it kind of makes sense that the OTS tunes are the safest. After all, they are basically locked down from self tuning and the pro tuners have generally built in a lot of safety down low.

Also want to make note of something about our 15 failures. Out of those 15 cars, 14 had at least one bolt on installed. And the lone stock setup car was likely abused. Interesting.

Last edited:

905User

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Vehicle: 2016 Civic Touring 1.5T CVT

Total tuned time: 1 day

Tuned miles driven: 100km, Engine has 111k kms

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V1.2

Tunes used: 16.5psi Starter

Fuel used: 93 Esso, 87 prior to tuning

Additional related mods: K&N Air filter

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Mostly city stop & go traffic with the occasional rip to the next red light or WOT for on ramps or passing moron races (all cars doing exactly the same speed beside eachother blocking traffic).

Tuning experience notes: No personal tuning experience so went with base sets in fear I would screw something up. Noticed an immediate power change only noticeable by the speedometer so far since the CVT is really smooth. Based on previous similar pedal pushes I am usually going much faster than I feel I should be so extra caution will be needed on speed trap zones (Thank you Waze!).

Quick adjusts in pic with early spool.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20210410_191016

Last edited:

AngryLettuce

First Name
Badger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type-R
Country flag
Added a new stat for failures by tune type which currently looks like this:

I realize that's a small sample size but I think it kind of makes sense that the OTS tunes are the safest. After all, they are basically locked down from self tuning and the pro tuners have generally built in a lot of safety down low.

Also want to make note of something about our 15 failures. Out of those 15 cars, 14 had at least one bolt on installed. And the lone stock setup car was likely abused. Interesting.
I spoke with a tuner last week who I'm buying the Hondata from so I can load base tunes, and he said the base tunes are merely a stop-gap prior to going on the dyno and having a personal (to my engine) specific tune.
Is this true and a neccessity?

I've had four previous cars running on model-specific ots tunes, and encountered zero problems with any. I had a dyno tune on a few others with no issues, but then issues with a couple of others. A VAG that was APR dynoed was wrung-out to get the highest numbers it could achieve, and would often throw a cel if the pump-fuel was mildly low on octane.

Keeping up with this thread it seems there is so much bias on how good the tune/tuner is for longevity, and how far should we push before we exceed the safe parameters. It's like a lucky-dip.:popcorn:

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wanted to update since last year and 1 head gasket prior but couldn't find my post in the 138 pages.

Vehicle: 2019 Si sedan FBO

Total tuned time: 25 months

Tuned miles driven: 34,000

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner 1.2

Tunes used: TSP 1, TSP 2 e35, Phearable 2.5 e35

Fuel used: 5 gal 91 premium/6 gal e85(about e65) = e35 about 98 octane

Additional related mods: FBO, intercooler, dp, fp, exhaust, intake, clutch, flywheel, wilwood cmc and lines, rmm, 5 cusco braces, springs, fsb, rsb, wheels...

Driving style: aggressive except a few road trips. Lots of WOT but never below 3k, never lugged.

Notes: AFR, STFT and LTFT always perfect and locked on .49 kcount on e35

Problems/issues: 3 head gaskets. Running TSP 2 and blew the oem head gasket at 1 year 18k. Replaced with oem head gasket and oem head bolts (mistake) and blew again 11 months 13k. Replaced again with cometic gasket and ARP head studs and changed to phearable 2.5. Running well again for 3 months, time will tell. No other problems.

There is a coolant channel between each cylinder and therefore only two .090 slivers of gasket between each cylinder, I don't understand how more people aren't blowing head gaskets. Bad design.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Closing in on 600 cars in the thread. :thumbsup:

Current thread stats and info:

Total tuned cars submitted: 595

Total tuned miles driven: 8,403,950 (reported)
Car with most tuned miles: choo (101,000+)

Cars with major failures: 15 (2.5%)
Failures by model: Si: 3; Non-Si: 12; CTR: 0; 2.0 NA: 0

Percentage of cars running reliably: 97.5%

Transmission type: CVT (190); Manual (405)

Hondata used for tuning: 125; Race (109) Carb (16)
KTuner used for tuning: 496; V1.2 (281) V2 (215)

JB4 used as tuning device: 3
RaceChip used as tuning device: 4
Motec used as tuning device: 3

Pro custom tuned cars: 112
Base tuned only cars: 176

Most popular OTS tune: TSP Stage 1 (259)
Other popular OTS tune: Phearable Stage 1.5 (102)
Newest OTS tunes: TSP 1+ (14); Phearable 1.5R (8)

Top rated pro tuners: Derek Robinson, John Vega

Submissions by model: Si (270); 1.5T Non-Si (263); Type R (43); 2.0 NA (19)

Most popular fuel: 93 octane (307)
Flex fuel users: 63

Cars with no added bolt ons: 191
Cars with at least one bolt on: 283
Cars running full bolt on setups: 121

Upgraded turbos installed: 41

DeathPhase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT

Total tuned time: 6 months

Tuned miles driven: 3000+

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1, Map 3 (Eco Mode)

Fuel used: Costco 91 + 1 Gallon G&M E85

Additional related mods: 27WON Intake, Greddy Supreme SP Exhaust

Driving style: Conservative, with a couple of WOTs on the highway and empty streets.

Last edited:

JasNeo

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Manual

Total tuned time: 11 months

Tuned miles driven: 15k+

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata Flashpro (race)

Tunes used: +9 psi high octane, 265kpa max 93 octane

Fuel used: Sunoco 93 Ultra

Additional related mods: Mishimoto Intake, RV6 downpipe/front pipe, Borla Type S exhaust

Problems/issues: I had a few issues with the +9 psi tune at WOT. CEL would come on, car would misfire and go into limp mode. Usually on WOT pulls in 3rd or 4th gear

Driving style: Tame when in and around town but more aggressive when in opened up areas such as highways or long straights.

Tuning experience notes: I haven't had any misfires since switching to the 265kpa tune, even on WOT hitting redline

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT

Total tuned time: 4 days

Tuned miles driven: ~200 tuned (7750 total)

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V2

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5 Non-Si

Fuel used: 93 octane from Phillips 66

Additional related mods: None

Driving style: Very easy during warm up. After warm up I drive a bit spirited but for me that means actually getting over 3500rpm. I don't have a daily drive so when I do it's usually just to get out and drive. Most miles are highway ~85%. I always leave it in D.

Tuning experience notes: This tune is smooth. I can't believe it actually. The stock experience is notably less refined feeling, at least to me. This is the first time I've done an ECU tune and so far it is beyond worth it. These cars deserve to feel this way from the factory. The way it pulls after jabbing the throttle, while already moving, puts me back in the seat just like I wanted. I've used Map 3 exclusively post initial 30 minute drive, and it is very daily friendly. I really liked my Civic before. Now I love it. I'll definitely be updating over the months/years to come.
~1 month update. 8300 total miles, 550 tuned miles. No issues yet.

JDoffing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Hatchback Sport

Total tuned time: 12 months

Tuned miles driven: ~10,000

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: 93 Octane

Additional related mods: PRL Short Ram Intake

Driving style: 50/50 calm/aggressive

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) PXL_20210311_002554669

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Closing in on 600 cars in the thread. :thumbsup:

Current thread stats and info:

Nearly as many custom as base map failures. I wouldn't have expected that.
Sponsored