The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

Trent m

First Name
Trenton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Ex
Country flag
What's up everybody, just got my civic hatchback ex and haven't tuned a car before. I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for tuning.

I'm not loyal to either hondata or ktuner so I could go with either. Obviously its better to get it custom dyno'd for my specific driving conditions. I know that the CVT trans is usually the limiting factor when tuning these cars and I'm not beating it up (its just my commuter), so I'm wondering what bolt-ons are even worth it (if any). Or if I should just keep it all ECU upgrading? I don't want to push the limits of the CVT because I'll probably keep the car for a while.

Anyone feel strongly on base maps vs custom tune assuming I'm not tracking it or pushing it hard every time I drive?

Thanks in advance guys. Really excited to finally have a car that I can have fun with.
Sponsored

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
What's up everybody, just got my civic hatchback ex and haven't tuned a car before. I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for tuning.

I'm not loyal to either hondata or ktuner so I could go with either. Obviously its better to get it custom dyno'd for my specific driving conditions. I know that the CVT trans is usually the limiting factor when tuning these cars and I'm not beating it up (its just my commuter), so I'm wondering what bolt-ons are even worth it (if any). Or if I should just keep it all ECU upgrading? I don't want to push the limits of the CVT because I'll probably keep the car for a while.

Anyone feel strongly on base maps vs custom tune assuming I'm not tracking it or pushing it hard every time I drive?

Thanks in advance guys. Really excited to finally have a car that I can have fun with.
Here's a good starting point for your research:

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/have-a-turbo-and-a-cvt-considering-a-tune-read-this.31242/

Umbra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 honda civic sport hatchback (cvt)
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Honda civic sport (CVT)

Total tuned time: 3 weeks

Total tuned mileage: 500+

Tuning device(s) used:
Ktuner

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1 Map 3

Additional engine mods: None atm (some advice for future mods would be great)

Problems/issues:
Non

Driving style: Casual, occasional aggressive but nothing crazy

So far love the tune. Truly night and day difference. Going to be satisfied for a while with it, but eventually am going to add mods. Maybe a CAI or an Intercooler. Any suggestions ?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This is interesting. I went back exactly one year to look at the reliability stats. Talk about consistency. We were at 97.3% reliable versus the current 97.2%. I'd say it's pretty apparent that most owners of tuned cars have done well.

STATS (as of 1/14/20)

Total surveys taken: 184
Total tuned miles driven: 2,662,500 (estimated)

Tuned cars with major failures: 5
Percentage of tuned cars running reliably: 97.3%

https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...ility-thread-for-all-models.42361/post-741286

Technical_Jno

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Coupe Si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Si

Total tuned time: 0 months

Total tuned mileage: 0 miles

Tuning device(s) used: Nuthin

Tunes used: None

Additional engine mods: Bone Stock motor, OEM everything.

Problems/issues: Boring, fun factor is suppressed. Engine runs very quiet. No one can tell how awesome I am, nor how much of a try-hard. Photos of engine bay are pointless. Lacking in cool toys, cool factor is present, but lower than desired.

Driving style: We was just funnin', officer, we didn't mean no harm. Top speed around 116 southbound down the back side of the sunol grade, had some 'encouragement' from another driver.
Gee... Thanks.!.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

JakedNuice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si coupe
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Si Coupe

Total tuned time: 1 week

Tuned miles driven: 90

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner v1.2

Tunes used: Phearable Stage 1.5

Fuel used: Shell 91 octane (crappy CA gas)

Additional engine mods: Magnaflow catback only

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Regular citizen commuting, with some aggressive pulls when the time presents itself

Tuning experience notes: Really enjoying the tune so far. Car shifts so much smoother and the power band feels more natural. Feels like it should have from the factory. I know I don't have much useful experience with the tune yet, we'll see how the clutch holds up. I see @gtman on the forums all the time trying to convince people to do this, so I can finally contribute now that I'm tuned.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I see @gtman on the forums all the time trying to convince people to do this, so I can finally contribute now that I'm tuned.
You're right, I do try to convince every tuned owner to post here. I look at it this way. We all know that tuning makes our cars drive so much better, but, in the back of our minds, we all worry about how these tunes will affect reliability.

If only 1 out of 25 tuned CivicX drivers add their car, we aren't nearly getting the full picture. I probably get one member here adding their car for every ten I contact.

Maybe someday those people will post. It's important, I think. Heck, I even tried to convince CivicX moderator 360glitch to post here unsuccessfully. I thought that would be a great addition. On the other side of the coin, I respect anyone's choice not to add their car(s).

Thanks again to everyone who has added or updated their tuned car so far.

Last edited:

dannyyotb

First Name
Daniel Razo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic EX-T sedan CVT

Total tuned time: 1 year

Tuned miles driven: 20,000+

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V1.2

Tunes used: Ktuner Starter 21psi, moved to Tsp Stage 1, Currently on Pherable

Fuel used: Shell 91 Octane (California dosent have 93)

Additional engine mods: PRL CAI *Street MaF*

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Slow and calm in the morning. I race almost every day and do a Full Wot pull a day when low knock is present. I usually race lots of cars and then let my car relax.

Tuning experience notes: When I first got the car, I liked the acceleration but wanted something with more oomph. Loved the Ktuner starter maps and changed my car completely, I went on to move to TSP stage 1 after seeing how much GTman loves it lol. About a few months ago when Pherable was released I decided to buy it to see how much difference the 24psi stage 3 map will do. Pherable definitely feels crazier top end and it’s buttery smooth as well, tsp always felt a little jerky to me but I loved Pherable, I always do feel like 24 psi is a lot for daily driving so I usually keep iron Map2 unless someone wants to get murdered on the freeway. The jump from tsp to Pherable is basically like the jump from Ktuner to tsp, it’s a small change but definitely noticeable.

-----------------

Here are some pics of my car as well as a 80-120 pull and a time I hit 140 while going uphill lol

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 487824A2-2354-4B9C-B869-88FCDC720E47

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) D959B054-1477-4575-B525-5BE68D88966B

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 732AEAE1-86B3-4F9F-AF6E-13140C3646A2

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) EC620F96-DC18-4AE1-ADD7-CD4F4DEF2B55

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 966FD096-465E-4465-8250-169F206C31D6

Attachments

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the great post and the excellent info on going from the TSP CVT to Phearable CVT tune. I'm considering trying it out myself.

Your car looks fantastic btw.

Last edited:

dannyyotb

First Name
Daniel Razo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@gtman Thank you so much, I’ve been up to date with all maintenance and believe that my CVT will last very long, I will be upgrading my intercooler and maybe downpipe in the future but don’t want to push the CVT to it’s limits, and probably won’t ever go e85 as I’ve noticed a lot of people have blown CVTs with that setup

Jonny10thgen

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 civic si

Total Tune time: 1yr

Total Tune Milage: 30,000 complete mileage 90k

Tuning Device: k tuner v1.2

Tunes Used:
Dual tune stock/21psi

Fuel Used: 91

Additional Engine Mods:
Prl cobra street maf

Problems/issues: currently none* except sometimes 2nd if I dont take my time with it will "kick" towards me

Driving Style: Spirited. Racing on weekends WOT runs.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 99A91438-

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for adding your car, and that's a GREAT pic!

Beansley

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I guess I'll put my 2 cents in after lurking for awhile.

Vehicle: 2018 Sport Touring Hatch CVT

Total tuned time: ~13 months

Total tuned mileage: ~15000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v1.2

Tunes used: Ktuner starter 21 with agressive settings until I got TSP Stage 1 in August 2019.

Fuel used: 95% Costco 93, when not available it's been Marathon, BP, or Shell.

Additional engine mods: afe dry flow s filter, mishimoto intake hose, Greddy Supreme Sp catback exhaust with vibrant ultra quiet resonator added.

Problems/issues: None. Maybe wanting to rip it all too often.

Driving style: At first pretty mild, now a little more spirited aggressive (past 5 or 6 months). In the city I'm pretty gentle but highway decent bursts from time to time. Could count the times I've been WOT on one hand.

Tuning experience notes: Not much to be shared. Definitely new to the scene but was easy to get into it, have taken notes lurking on what people say are good LTFTs and such. I'm not too concerned about warranty such as I don't drive like a maniac or race any. If you want to wake up your car this seems like an easy option, just be aware of your limitations and personally I don't think you should drive like you're racing everyone.

Overall the easiest way to get your civic driving the way it should be out of the factory is tuning, it's easy, safe (if you want it to be), and easy. I don't worry about warranty or such.

Vehicle: 2018 Sport Touring Hatch CVT

Total tuned time: ~24 months

Total tuned mileage: ~25000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v1.2

Tunes used: Ktuner starter 21 with agressive settings until I got TSP Stage 1 in August 2019. Picked up Phearable stage 1 for CVTs in November 2020 and have stuck with it.

Fuel used: 95% Costco 93, when not available it's been Marathon, BP, or Shell.

Additional engine mods: afe dry flow s filter, mishimoto intake hose, Greddy Supreme Sp catback exhaust with vibrant ultra quiet resonator added. Nothing new added since last survey.

Problems/issues: Still none, going strong.

Driving style: Not much has changed, I've gotten a little more aggressive here and there and my MPG shows this.

Tuning experience notes: Not much new to share. I switched to Phearables tune back in November of last year and have been super happy with it. It seems like it gives a better in between the Ktuner canned tunes and TSPs, just feels a little more potent. I won't lie, I have not used map 3 very much as I didn't with TSP much either (also due to a lack of driving) maybe just baby the car a little too much and combined with just driving probably 75% less the last year. I can 100% recommend Phearable to current TSP owners or if you don't have either so far I'd spring for it first, just feels more fun around town/the highway and gets rid of the "lag" I felt with TSPs.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Always appreciate the updates. You're the 60th owner in the thread running the Phearable 1.5 tune. :thumbsup:
Sponsored