The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Update:

Car :
Honda Civic Hatchback Type E CVT

Total tuned time: 12 months

Total tune mileage: 4,667 miles

Tuning device
: Hondata Flashpro, KTuner V1.2

Tunes used
: Basemap +3psi Hondata tune with modified torque limit table, TSP Stage 1, Self-made 19 PSI, Custom tune by Steve from E-Tunez, Custom self tune for CR-V Turbocharger swap, Custom self-tune for CAPTS Stage 2 Turbocharger by @CAPTS

Fuel used: 98 RON (93 Octane?)

Additional engine mods: Rev9 intercooler, PRL Catless Downpipe, Custom 2.5 Inch FP, Sprint drop in filter replacement, CR-V Turbocharger (installed for 4 months), CAPTS Stage-2 Turbocharger by @CAPTS (just installed today)

Problems/issues: None so far

Driving style:
Stop-and-go traffic 95% of the time with occasional morning run (05:30 AM) weekdays and 06:00 AM in the weekend.

Tuning experience notes: Hondata Flashpro - decent tuning device and good for basic tuning for 1.5T. Provide Live Tuning and Advanced Graph for datalog study. User can download tune from ECU, not only upload. Torque limiter is such a limiting factor when pushing boost past 21 PSI after I swap with CR-V turbocharger KTuner V1.2 - Quick Adjustments feature wins my choice. I "convert" my Hondata Flashpro calibration to KTuner with some adjustments to boost tables calibration. Still need to perfect the AFM. I find difficulty to plug KTuner V1.2 dongle to OBD II perfectly in one go. I need to wiggle the unit until it is perfectly connected. CAPTS Stage-2 Turbocharger: Just installed today. Flashed self-tuned calibration for the turbocharger upgrade & did a quick spin. Low end power wasn't bad. It was actually better than stock although there was a slight delay in spool. Mid to high end power is better than stock but I still need to do a bit tweaking on ignition and fuel tuning. I will go to dyno after tuning complete & created build thread. I will share more detail in the build thread.
Sponsored

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT

Total tuned time: 1 year, 11 months (initial tune 2/9/19)

Tuned miles driven: Approximately 22.6k miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5T non-Si [current], KTuner starter maps (most recently 21psi with quick enables)

Fuel used: Costco/Sam's Club/Chevron 91 octane

Additional engine mods: DIY SRI with AEM DryFlow filter, Mishimoto silicone induction hose, custom fiberglass filter heatshield (thermal reflective tape on the engine-facing sides), and ram induction ducting leading to the heatshield from the driver's side faux vent opened up. Also have a muffler delete with the stock resonator still in place.

Problems/issues: minor issue with fluttering sound at >70% throttle and >17psi, but that went away when I started messing with quick enables. I have had zero instances of that with the phearable tune

Driving style: Mostly chill driving, slightly spirited, especially on inclined highway on-ramps. Not a huge fan of driving on eco-mode. S mode if I'm feeling frisky. Paddle shifters if I'm feeling even friskier. Aim for good fuel economy when I'm feeling frugal.

Tuning experience notes: I just recently installed the Phearable tune (my initial survey was the first response to this thread on 10/14/2019 -- yes, I have edited my initial post to reflect changes), and here are my thoughts after taking her out for an hour today:
I can definitely tell that torque is limited down low to protect the CVT. I also get it when I read that people have to depress the throttle a bit more than before. The way I look at it, yes, protects the CVT, but also makes [map 3] very daily drivable. It's just something I'll have to get used to. And man, acceleration is stupid smooth on this tune, definitely a lot less jerky than the starter 21psi tune (which I didn't think was terribly jerky until now). At >70% throttle, this thing pulls. Unfortunately, I never had the TSP tune, so I can't really compare it to that.​

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Appreciate the update post, but there is one problem.

In the past, you've updated your original post (instead of the recommended new post) and that meant I couldn't update the thread stats (in terms of tuned mileage) because you've erased your original mileage number from October 2019.

Do you happen to have a rough idea of what that original number was? Thanks.

chrono111

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic EX sedan CVT

Total tuned time: 2 weeks

Tuned miles driven: 150 miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5T non-Si [current]

Fuel used: Walmart 93 octane

Additional engine mods: NA

Problems/issues: NA

Driving style: Relaxed but now having the tune installed a bit more aggressive

Tuning experience notes: I just installed the phearable tune. Really my first mod since I purchased my Civic 18 months ago. Wanted wait a bit and glad I did. The phearable tune transforms my car to a very smooth but power anywhere experience. So worth the price of admission. Makes the stock tune feel flawed. Very easy to install and would definitely do it again.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Tuning experience notes: I just installed the phearable tune. Really my first mod since I purchased my Civic 18 months ago. Wanted wait a bit and glad I did. The phearable tune transforms my car to a very smooth but power anywhere experience. So worth the price of admission. Makes the stock tune feel flawed. Very easy to install and would definitely do it again.
I bolded the part I wanted to discuss. Fact is, the stock tune is kind of crap. And I'm not simply talking about ultimate power numbers. The off the shelf tunes improve the stock tune in every way. Better power down low and up top. Less lag. Better throttle response.

People who knock aftermarket tunes often haven't tried them. They improve driveability in a night and day way. And for most of us using moderate power tunes, they also don't really hurt reliability or mpgs significantly when driven "normally".

Thanks for adding your car and please add an update post as you accumulate more tuned miles.

Last edited:

jkim19SI

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Sedan (Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Si Sedan
Total tuned time: 6 months
Total tuned miles: 3900 miles
Tuning device: Ktuner V2
Tunes used: Custom tune by Derek Robinson
Mods list:

PRL Garret GTX 2867R Gen2 Turbo
PRL Cai Race MAF
PRL Down Pipe v2
PRL Front Pipe v2
PRL SS clutch line
Eman Custom Flex fuel Kit
Custom chargepipes
Injen Intercooler
Hondata 4 Bar Map Sensors
Ktuner V2
Custom tuned by Drob
Spoon Thermalstat
Type R Retro fit Clutch / Flywheel
Type R CMC Retrofit
Type R Exhaust Retrofit
Type R Front Subframe Brace
Type R Full Shifter Assembly
Type R RMM
Type R Steering Wheel
Type R shift knob (2020)
Acuity shifter bushing
Acuity base bushing
Acuity rocker
Acuity shifter spring
DC Sport Carbon front strut bar
Eibach pro kit
Spc rear arms
Avid 18x9.5 +38
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 245/40/18
Brembo big brake kit
HPS Pads
Stoptech Slotted Rotors
Good Ridge brake lines
Greddy front lip
Honda HFP Side skirts
Spoon side mirrors
Spoon rear view mirror
2020 OEM Si LED Headlights
Morimoto XB Fogs
Nardo Grey Wrinkle Valve Cover
Side Chrome delete
Alcantara Cluster Trim
Alcantara Console Trim
Alcantara Shifter Boot
Spoiler king rear gourney
Mugen oil cap
Art of Attack Banner
Opt7 interior LED
Smoked out side markers
JL C2-350X Center Speaker
JL C2-650X Front Speakers
JL C2-650X Rear Speakers
JL C2 Front Tweeters
JL C2 Rear Tweeters

Problems: None
Driving Style: heavy foot
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 0EDEFDE7-97A7-4739-9D06-046AC2FF880A
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 835F5D5A-EA50-4AEE-B426-E64DF58AE2D4
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 2209DE97-A81C-4DC8-AAEF-7432A65C9B4E
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 092D6509-F181-48C7-98B6-D540B8E133C9
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 94539E43-C69B-49E2-A5B6-1177CC44F730

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the add. Your car looks fantastic. :thumbsup:

Where did you get the alcantara trim from?

USNengineman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Chevy Colorado z71
Country flag
THIS IS AN UPDATE, didnt realize i had to do a complete new post, i just updated the first one on accident. I do believe i was at around 3k miles when i first flashed ktuner base map.

Vehicle: 2020 si coupe

Total tuned time: 7-8 months

Tuned miles driven:
roughly 5k

Tuning device(s) used: k tuner

Tunes used
: ktuner 23/tsp stage 1 map 3 sport

Fuel used: 93, usually circle k or navy base gas(if i dont feel like going out to town)

Additional engine mods: 27WON street CAI, TIP, catted DP, RMM and shift knob. PRL FMIC and charge pipes. resonator delete. Siri moto subframe brace and strut bar.

Problems/issues: clutch slipped only ONCE right after i installed the FMIC and TIP (most recent installs) on a pull in 4th gear. RPM's were around 3k so i dont do that anymore, wont go wot or anywhere near it if im not at 4-4200k. stock clutch still holds well other than that.
Fuel trims do whatever the hell they want it feels like, but im pretty sure its all the mods i have and the change of airflow ive done to the car, reaaaally need a custom tune (Etune is next mod).

Driving style: 5 over the limit usually but sometimes i like to get to that 5 over fast :) Just gotta hear the spool once in a while. and by that i mean at least twice a day. Not wot just enough to hear that sound we all love.

Tuning experience notes: if anyone of you have read my posts youll know im very new to this, first car ive tuned and am able to actually put money in to. but over the course of almost a year ive learned a lot not only from youtube but this community as well!! Im a marine diesel mechanic and have a very vast understanding of engines but since ive bought this car i feel like you guys have honestly helped me understand even more! Your feed back and quick responses to anything i post has made me love the car itself even more!! i still have a lot left to learn but i learn something from this community every day!!

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Current thread stats (as of 1/11/21):

Total tuned vehicles: 468
Total tuned miles driven: 6,537,700 (reported)
Car with most tuned miles: choo (101,000+)

Cars with major failures: 13 (2.8%)
Failures by model: Si: 4; non-Si: 8; CTR: 0; 2.0 NA: 0
Percentage of cars running reliably: 97.2%

Transmission type: CVT (144); Manual (323)

Hondata used as tuning device: 102
KTuner used as tuning device: 386

JB4 used as tuning device: 3
RaceChip used as tuning device: 3
Motec used as tuning device: 2
Bluespark Pro Petrol used as tuning device: 1

Pro custom tune file used: 87
Most popular OTS tune: TSP Stage 1 (214)
Other popular OTS tune: Phearable Stage 1.5 (56)

Submissions by model: Si (218); 1.5T Non-Si (201); Type R (34); 2.0 NA (15)

Most popular fuel: 93 octane (251)
Flex fuel users: 49

Last edited:

booost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic SI

Total tuned time: 5 months

Tuned miles driven:
4,300+

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V1.2 w/ Tunerview on headunit

Tunes used: Custom tuned by @phearable

Fuel used: Mobile 93 (exclusively)

Additional engine mods: 3" MAperformance downpipe, 3" PRL frontpipe, 3" exhaust back with Borla resonator, PRL CAI, Mishimoto Intercooler, 27WON RMM, Clutchmasters FX350 Clutch, Hybrid short throw shifter, Hybrid shifter cable bushings.

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Calm in the morning to work, spicy on my way home.

Tuning experience notes: First time tuning, it's pretty easier with Ktuner. I can't explain enough how great my custom tuning experience was with @phearable. Professional dude, knows his stuff and I know I am in good hands. Love my tune, changed my car completely for the better.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Driving style: Calm in the morning to work, spicy on my way home.
I laughed when I read that. Me too. Just chill going to work yet going home I easily go 20+ over the limit. It must be a "thing". :cool:

Last edited:

FatalRobin

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic hatchback sport
Country flag
What’s up ? I have a factory stock Honda Civic HB sport, I was looking into getting a down pipe, what is recommended? Changing out the factory down pipe would I loose the heat shield could I heat wrap the DP?
Sponsored