The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

V3N0M_VZL4

First Name
Mauricio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Sport sedan

Total tuned time: 6 months

Total tuned mileage: 3,000+ miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V 1.2

Tunes used: Base map throtle response 1

Fuel used: Costco Gas 93 exclusively with 1 galon ef e85 sometimes

Additional engine mods: drop in filter K&N, RV6 catted downpipe

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Slightly speedy, aggressive turns, cruising in traffic

Tuning experience notes: This is my first time tunning my car since is my daily, i just want more fun and and greater response in acceleration, the car now with some mods went to a little sleeper, plus the suspension mods the change was incredible, also the mpgs when up, when installed the downpipe maybe for the improvement in air flow from the combustion chamber.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

HondaFanz2018

First Name
HondaFanz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si (Stolen), 2013 Honda Accord Sport V6
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 1 month

Total tuned mileage: 500 miles

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1, used maps 1 through 3

Fuel used: 91, Costco/Arco

Additional engine mods: PRL Performance Intercooler, Acuity Short shifter kit

Driving style: Mostly 35 to 40 each way miles of commute. Open up when hwy is clear

Tuning experience notes: First time using an ECU tune. Most of my past performance tuning were bolt-ons on BMW's (headers, Cams, exhaust, oil coolers, brakes and tires)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Si Sedan

Total tuned mileage: 500 miles
Thanks for adding your car. If you can, post updates as you gain more tuned miles and/or make changes.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Update since my last post in October 2019

Vehicle: 2018 Civix EX (2.0L)

Current mileage: ~15.6k miles

Total tuned miles: 10,000 miles approx

Tuning Device: KTuner

Tune: 91+ octane base tune (I only use 93 octane

Additional engine mods: K&N air filter

Problems/Issues: absolutely none

Driving Style: normal to aggressive depending on the situation. Mainly local driving with occasional long trips about once a month

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic SI sedan

Total tuned time: 2 months

Total tuned mileage: 500+ miles

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata Race Flashpro.

Tunes used: Started with +9 and scramble mode enabled + improved throttle response. currently using +6 via sport button/standard throttle.

Fuel used: Shell/Costco 91

Additional engine mods: K&N drop in filter, Borla Catback exhaust

Problems/issues: Slipping clutch

Driving style: Moderate/Spirited driving.

Tuning experience notes: This car has been fun out the box. After tuning it, it did increase the fun factor however idk if the gains were really worth it. The car is quicker but at what cost? My clutch immediately started to slip, so I will be replacing that in the next coming weeks. After I have done so, I hope the clutch will keep up with the additional power that it’s making. All in all, my honest opinion would be not to tune this car and just enjoy it for what it is. If you do tune your car be ready to continue investing money into it if/when additional components break or wear out. I diy 99% of my upgrades/repairs so that saves some $$$ ? and I enjoy it as one of my hobbies.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) CF3F68C5-15CB-4594-90EB-C9C30C2C1833

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Tuning device(s) used: Hondata Race Flashpro.

Tunes used: Started with +9 and scramble mode enabled + improved throttle response. currently using +6 via sport button/standard throttle.

Tuning experience notes: This car has been fun out the box. After tuning it, it did increase the fun factor however idk if the gains were really worth it. The car is quicker but at what cost? My clutch immediately started to slip, so I will be replacing that in the next coming weeks. After I have done so, I hope the clutch will keep up with the additional power that it’s making. All in all, my honest opinion would be not to tune this car and just enjoy it for what it is. If you do tune your car be ready to continue investing money into it if/when additional components break or wear out. I diy 99% of my upgrades/repairs so that saves some $$$ ? and I enjoy it as one of my hobbies.
Thanks for the survey.

Honestly, most of the people surveyed running base maps (KTuner especially) haven't run into a ton of clutch issues. I kind of wonder about that Hondata Scramble mode. Seems to me (if used regularly) that could be hard on your car.

As far as you saying that tuning basically becomes a money pit due to all the wear and tear, that hasn't been the case for most who run base or ots tunes here.

Last edited:

bdsport

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatch CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
UPDATE POST - 10/28/2020

Vehicle: 2018 Civic Sport Hatch CVT

Total tuned time: almost 2 years

Total tuned mileage: 20,000+ miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: Custom 22psi Innovative Motor Works tune by Derek robinson

Fuel used: Shell or Exxon/Mobil 93 only

Additional engine mods: 27won CAI, RV6 catted dp/fp, Greddy Supreme SP catback, Garrett Powermax intercooler, PTP turbo blanket

Driving style: Relaxed around town and on long trips; aggressive backroads and highway pulls occasionally

Tuning experience notes: I used to have a KTuner basemap for the 21psi eco off/eco on stock tune and found that the top end dropped off more significantly from when I switched to a full custom tune. Also since switching the power delivery is much smoother and controllable vs. the basemap's more jerky and harsher power delivery across the rev range. No issues so far and the transmission is liking the switch to more top end power! CVT cooler coming soon as well for future HPDE or Autocross events

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Thanks for the survey.

Honestly, most of the people surveyed running base maps (KTuner especially) haven't run into a ton of clutch issues. I kind of wonder about that Hondata Scramble mode. Seems to me (if used regularly) that could be hard on your car.

As far as you saying that tuning basically becomes a money pit due to all the wear and tear, that hasn't been the case for most who run base or ots tunes here.
Of course! Been meaning to do my survey.

That’s great! Hopefully it stays that way for most of us. Honda’s are a lot more reliable than other car manufacturers so that’s a plus. I just believe from previous experience and including this one, that as you tune, other components may wear out prematurely. Maybe not necessarily be a money pit, but for sure some extra dollars!

Last edited:

JonnySuicide

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe
Country flag
Ok heres mine.

2020 Si coupe
Phearable tune
Ktuner
Prl intake upgrade
10,000 miles

Car is daily and runs great now. I feel drivability is better. Ive had zero issues though the car never gets raced it is ran on some curvy back roads and some 100+ mph burst on occasion. I also have the TSP S1 but the Phearable feels slightly stronger.

ilipac

@blueFK7
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Total tuned time: 18 Months

Total tuned mileage: 20ishk

Tuning device(s) used:
KTuner V2

Tunes used: customized TSP Stage 1 for non-Si (current)

Fuel used: Sunoco 93 Ultra (exclusively), and usually 1-1.5 gal of e85

Additional engine mods: AF Dynamic Short Ram

Problems/issues: With my modifications to the TSP tune, slight jerkiness with driving (which I've adapted to)

Driving style: Grandma in town, but then once it's curvy i let it rip. Also I don't like when people try to pass me on the right. I love boost.

Tuning experience notes: This is my first "modified" car. And the experience itself was easy, it was like flashing my old android phone with a new ROM. With that said, Ktuner and TSP Stage 1 has awakened a wolf in sheep's clothing. It's very fun to see other people try and keep up with me when I'm in peak boost and engine speed! I just hit 23k and my car is still going strong! I am looking at either getting another civic or an accord 2.0t for my next build.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
With my modifications to the TSP tune, slight jerkiness with driving (which I've adapted to)
Thanks for the update.

What have you modified on the TSP tune?

ilipac

@blueFK7
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the update.

What have you modified on the TSP tune?
Just boost by gear limits and some quick adjustments, I really only push it after “3rd gear” because CVT.

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7,RW2,RD1,RD5,RE5,RU1,FK1,FN2,EP3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 CR-V AWD (EUDM) L15BY MT / Si pistons - non Si connecting rods

ECU: 5ST-G05

Gas: 98 RON E5 (Shell only) - rarely 100 RON (Shell only)

LTFT: -3.0 up to 5.0 rarely

Total tuned mileage: 1.000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V1.2

Tunes used: Ktuner base 21 DUAL (no quick enables/quick adjustments)

Additional engine mods: PRL SRI street MAF, smaller sized mufflers/OEM pipe diameter / Intake resonator delete / Hondahack with tunerview lite

Oil used: Mobil 1 5W-30 ACEA C2/C3 (oil and oil filter change every 3000-4000 miles)

Problems/issues: OEM HU randomly changes brightness. Not Ktuner or Honda hack related. Has occurred 4-5 times in 12 months.

Driving style: Very speedy with often aggressive bursts, start driving after 1 minute, never WOT if ECT is below 80 or over 85. Rarely using ECON after reflash. Car is too exciting to drive on 21 PSI!

Notes: Knock counts recorded 1 to 5, with stock spark plugs/OEM gapping, Knock control increases from 0.49 to 0.77 after long pulls (50mph to 140mph). Always 0.48/0.49 even at 60% or above TPS
Vehicle: 2019 CR-V AWD (EUDM) L15BY MT / Si pistons - non Si connecting rods

ECU: 5ST-G05

Gas: 100 RON EU (equal to USA 95 RON). Was operating with 93 RON US, switched to 95 RON 3000 miles ago for no actual reason, just peace of mind.

LTFT: -4.0 in traffic, -7.0 in heavy traffic, 0.0 on highways.

Total tuned time: 12 months

Total tuned mileage: 14.000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V1.2

Tunes used: Ktuner base 21 DUAL (turbo ramp rate improved II)

Additional engine mods: PRL SRI street / PRL catted DP / Injen FMIC / smaller sized mufflers / OEM exhaust and front pipe / Intake resonator delete / Hondahack with tunerview lite / 27WON TIP to be installed.

Oil used: Mobil 1 5W-30 ACEA C2/C3 (oil and oil filter change every 3000-4000 miles)

Problems/issues: OEM HU randomly changes brightness. Not Ktuner or Honda hack related. Has occurred 4-5 times in 12 months. Has not happened for 1 year. All indicator/error lights lit up the dashboard twice, probably Honda sensing related. Has happened twice in 3 days, summertime, hasnt happened since. Dealership hasnt found an actual issue.

Driving style: Very speedy with often aggressive bursts, start driving after 1 minute, never WOT if ECT is below 80. Always cooldown, never turn engine off if ECT is over 90 degrees celcius. VSA completely OFF with pedal dance 80% of the time.

Notes: Knock counts recorded 1 to 5, with stock spark plugs/OEM gapping, Knock control increases from 0.49 to 0.77 after long pulls (50mph to 140mph). Always 0.48/0.49 even at 60% or above TPS

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the update. I added your additional tuned miles to the survey stats.
Sponsored