The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
These recent new updates are really huge for the survey. Especially one key stat... tuned miles. Reason being, many people posted a survey last year and haven't done an update. Even if you add an update here and all you do is update the new tune miles total, you've helped A LOT. Just in the past two days, we've added hundreds of thousands of tuned miles and it helps show how reliable these tunes have been.
Sponsored

Steezybreezy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 si, 15 frs, 13 genesis 3.8 TT (sold), 06 tl type s (sold), 00 Mustang GT(sold)
Country flag
So let me start by saying this is my 2nd xgen and my first was tuned with no problems both are/were si only difference was first one was a 2018 sedan.

Vehicle: 2020 Civic si

Total tuned time: 4 months

Total tuned mileage: 2500+

Tuning device(s) used: ktuner v2

Tunes used: Pherable 1.5 tune w/o god mode

Fuel used: 91

Additional engine mods: PRL Cai, 27won catted dp, Awe exhaust

Problems/issues: First xgen had no problems tuned. My current one has terrible slippage consistently aswell as on some throttle let off in gears 3-6 loud almost gun shot noises from what sounds like under the passenger side or possibly where the dp area is. I’ve noticed with cruise main this doesn’t happen. But in maps 2 & 3 i get those loud bangs.

Driving style: 40% city and 60% highway. I baby this car barley ever go above 5k

Tuning experience notes: I loved the tune in the beginning but as the clutch slippage has become worse and worse I flashed back. Obviously not the tunes fault since i know the civics clutch is hit or miss with added power. Overall was a great tune when i could actually enjoy it.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Si sedan

Total tuned time: 1 day

Total tuned mileage: 25 miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: Phearable stage 1.5

Fuel used: Shell 93

Additional engine mods: K&N drop-in filter

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: I enjoy exploring the rev range once the car warms up

Tuning experience notes: Waited a year to tune, waited a couple months more due to the pandemic. Enjoying the reduced rev-hang already!

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So let me start by saying this is my 2nd xgen and my first was tuned with no problems both are/were si only difference was first one was a 2018 sedan.
Thanks for the add. You're also welcome to add a 2nd survey with your first tuned 10th gen as well. The more tuned experiences we get, the better.

Last edited:

ocbooger

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update:

Vehicle: 2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring (CVT)

Total tuned time: 22 months

Total tuned mileage: 17,000

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner
V2

Tunes used: KTuner 21, current tune TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: BP 93

Additional engine mods: PRL Race CAI, PRL FMIC, Greddy exhaust, RV6 Catted DP/FP, PTP Turbo blanket, 27won RMM

Driving style: aggressive city driving and lead foot whenever I can.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) IMG_20200407_150631

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) IMG_20200603_202412

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) IMG_20200824_184239

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
* UPDATE *
Vehicle: 2016 EX-T coupe w/ CVT

Total tuned time: 2yrs. 7 months

Total tuned mileage: 55,000 miles, 108,000+ miles total

Tunes used: KTuner 19/21
Fuel used: Shell 93

Additional engine mods: None

Driving style: I use the car as my daily driver with some spirited driving to get around ppl who can't drive. Mostly highway miles,

Tuning experience notes: First time ever modifying an ECU = FUN!

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Driving style: I use the car as my daily driver with some spirited driving to get around ppl who can't drive.
I think that description applies to a lot of tuned owners, including me. I mean, we drive Civics, not Lamborghinis. In other words, we basically drive economy cars. The idea that we can now easily handle any situation on our daily drives is fantastic. Highway passing power is amazing. The extra power even gives you more confidence to power out of situations where untuned, you may not have made it.

I remember the very first moment when I put my tuned car to a real world test. I was using Hondata at the time. On a two lane road, up a very steep hill, I decided to pass a semi. The extra power over stock allowed me to do the move with no fuss.

I think the fact that most of us are using our tunes in a fairly conservative way is why our reliability numbers are high. Seems like adding full bolt ons and cranking up the tune combined with constant aggressive driving is when reliability starts taking a hit.

skottharrison

First Name
Skott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan, 2021 Subaru Crosstrek
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic SI sedan

Total tuned time: 30 minutes

Total tuned mileage: 25 miles (Car tuned at 772 miles)

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner 1.2

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5 (As of Oct 13, 2020)

Fuel used: Sunoco 93 thus far

Additional engine mods: Bone stock/All Season tires from the factory

Driving style: Speed limit plus, I want to get there, but I want to get there alive...

Tuning experience notes:
Well I bit the bullet and out of a fit of rage, I flashed my ECU to Phearable 1.5. I went straight to MAP 2 out of my garage. My first response once I made it out of my community and onto the streets was, "Whoa..."
This is exactly how the car should have come from the factory. In honesty after my first few seconds and getting composure of myself, I cruised around 50-70mph to get the "30 minutes" out of the initial email from the tune.
Got a pull in 3rd, and before I had a chance to look I was already at 75MPH, and the last few minutes were MAP 1 to see how MPG looked... In MAP 2, I saw a max PSI of 21 in 2nd or most likely 3rd, can't remember, was too much in awe.

My initial thoughts: After the flash, the car shifted and felt like how a manual car should feel. Coming from a 21 year old EK hatchback, the 600mi break-in of the SI felt, muted.

It was nice, it had some rev hang, you learn to adapt, but after the Phearable tune, the car shifted more, as I would have expected.

Gearing on the older style Hondas were, as you went up in gears, you were expected to shift faster because of the different gear ratios. With Phearable, this natural feeling is more emulated and welcomed. When you shift gears and let off the clutch, the car is ready and waiting.

I will update this once I get some mileage under my belt and/or when I try MAP 3...
Phearable, John, Thank you kindly for making the SI race my heart for even just a few seconds, it makes driving enjoyable again...
I'll update once I have a few thousand miles under my belt...
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20201025_214424

EDIT: I parked my car after my drive and the K Control was a nice .49...

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the wonderful world of 10th gen tuning.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Si sedan

Total tuned time: 36 months (Since October 2017)

Total tuned mileage: update 40,000+ miles

Tuning device(s) used:
Hondata RACE, currently using KTuner V1

Tunes used: Hondata +9, early M.A.P. map, KTuner 21, current tune TSP Stage 1

Additional engine mods: PRL silicone hose/aFe Pro Dry S filter combo

Problems/issues: once encountered boost out of range or something while early testing the M.A.P. map, I pulled over and immediately flashed back to my normal map. That was April 12th, I posted about it.
update: zero problems other than the A/C compressor needing replacement, covered by warranty.

Driving style:
Mostly responsible commuter, usually shift at 2k rpms and decel in gear with brakes lightly applied as courtesy to other drivers. Every morning is spent driving very easy, as I have two young daughters (1 and 2 years old) to bring to daycare. Motor spends most of it's time between 1-2k rpm, but one or two WOT runs from 3-4k up to near redline a few times 3-5 days per week(typically on the way home). On local roads I rarely exceed the speed limit, but I sometimes approach it quicker than needed. On the highway, I stay with traffic which in NJ on the parkway is usually 5-20 mph over. IMHO an engine is most efficient when barely touching the throttle or when standing on it, boost should be used only when needed but very generously. I mostly stay on map 3, to have the option for 25/26psi. But if I know I'm going to be repeatedly going WOT I sometimes change to map 2. Hondahack used to install TunerviewLite, and I also keep a spare phone (LG G4) for full Tunerview when the screen is being used for AA or other purposes. I routinely get 400-500+ miles per tank of fuel, depending on how much time I spend on the highway, and right foot control.
Update yay job change and covid followed by months of unemployment and now working full remote (aka VPN in from home), I fill my gas tank about once a month. The bulk of my driving is just bringing the kids to daycare and running local errands. I now get 300-400 miles per tank which is a big variance, depends how much time I get on the highway. Had to go back to the dealer for the A/C fix, put everything back to stock for that. Still using the TSP Stg1 map. Still mostly on map 3.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks micah. Great update.

rsayers

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata, 2017 FK7 CVT
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Sport Hatch CVT

Total tuned time: 2 months

Total tuned mileage: 500 miles?

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata Flashpro

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1 for non-Si

Fuel used: 93, no brand preference

Additional engine mods: None

Driving style: Boring commute with occasional spirited driving

Tuning experience notes: This is the 3rd car I've tuned, first being an RX8 on a Cobb Tuner, then my Miata on MS3, and now the Civic. Of all setups, the Hondata is the easiest I've used.

SleepyFC1

The Minister of Truth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ABM Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 1 year, 8 months

Total tuned mileage: 19,937

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: Quiktrip 93 octane

Additional engine mods: PRL SRI with Race MAF, RV6 catted DP and FP

Driving style: Moderately aggressive during city duty, though I spend most of my drive time on the highway
Updating per request of @gtman

Total tuned time: 2 years, 7 months

Total tuned mileage: 28,104

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1, primarily on Map 3 (non-Sport)

Fuel used: Quiktrip 93 octane

Additional engine mods: PRL Cobra with Race MAF, PRL intercooler with charge pipes, RV6 catted DP and FP

Driving style: Casual to moderately aggressive during city driving, cruiser on the highway, hand-full of WOT pulls up through 3rd gear to surprise WRX's and Z-cars

Aguirre129

First Name
Cristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Total tuned time: 4 months

Total tuned mileage: ~3000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1, always set to Map 2 and Map 3 only when showing people my HDMI port on the highway.

Fuel used: 93 since the day I got her

Additional engine mods: None...yet

Problems/issues: None whatsoever.

Driving style: Spirited driving when getting on the highway or racing in Mexico, very rare tho. Other than that normal driving.
Update per request of @gtman

Total tuned time: 1 year

Total tuned mileage: ~25000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1, changed from always on Map 2 to always on Map 3.

Fuel used: She's still high class sipping that 93.

Additional engine mods: Prl Cobra CAI, if that's considered an engine mod.

Problems/issues: Still no issues. A little bit of clutch slip if I go WOT but that's expected on Map 3 on a stock clutch.

Driving style: Spirited driving when getting on the highway or racing in Mexico, very rare tho. Other than that normal driving.

se7encrows

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Vehicle: 2016 Civic EX-T sedan (CVT)

Total tuned time: 18 months

Total tuned mileage: 16,000+ miles

Tunes used: KTuner 21 dual Starter ~ customized. Current: TSP Stage 1 for non-Si

Fuel used: Costco 93 Top Tier

Additional engine mods: K&N air filter / custom axle-back Magnaflow exhaust w/ Vibrant UQ resonator.

Driving style: Slightly speedy with aggressive bursts when I feel peppy. Which is a lot of the time.

Tuning experience notes: I've been using gtman's tune parameters from his thread up until today when I finally decided to purchase the TSP stage 1. Loving it so far. It'll take a little getting used to how it delivers its power which is more consistent than the tweaked base tunes.
Sponsored