The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Dan, thanks for the update. Your additional tuned miles driven puts our total at over 5 million tuned miles. Enjoy the Phearable tune.

These member posted survey updates are a big deal and really help.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Speaking of updates. A big shout out to Phearable's John Vega. He kindly has asked all users of the Phearable 1.5 to post a survey if they haven't already.

It's also important that people who have previously done a survey and recently switched to the Phearable tune add a new update post here. It will make our stats that much more accurate.

Last edited:

Ro_FK7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport 6MT
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 6MT Sport

Total tuned time: ~4 months

Total tuned mileage: 8,000 miles (TSP @ ~26k miles, Phearable @ ~30k) Currently closing in on 34k miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v1.2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1, Phearable Stage 1.5

Fuel used: Shell/Sunoco 93

Additional engine mods: PRL intake hose / OEM filter

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Light to moderate on the streets. I do occasional pulls on the street, but mainly save aggressive driving for open roads / highways / on ramps.

Tuning experience notes: Small backstory - I'm from the Tampa area and have known of @phearable for a very long time. I bought some parts for my K swapped EK build from John and had inquired with him earlier in the year if he would make a tune for the non-Si with my vehicle. We weren't sure if my ECU was compatible to develop the tune so I ended up going with TSP Stage 1 back in June. I liked TSP Stage 1, but knew there was room for improvement. We had been in touch for the past few months, and discovered that it was possible to use my car for the tune. The car made some amazing numbers on a hot Florida day, but more importantly the driveability is fantastic. Partial throttle acceleration feels so good, and power feels pretty linear at WOT. This is how the car should've came from factory - I have nothing but great things to say about this tune.

My overall experience with John has been amazing - he is a true professional. His customer service/support is everything you want it to be. Also had my EK tuned by him recently and made some killer power as well :)

After running both tunes, I can say that TSP Stage 1 is a great tune and made me very happy coming from a stock vehicle. But Phearable is the way to go in my opinion. You won't be disappointed!

http://www.phearable.net/blog/phear....5-tune-for-2016-civic-1.5l-turbo-non-si.html

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ro, thanks for the survey and the great backstory regarding John and Phearable.

I'm also really interested in getting some feedback from CVT owners switching from TSP to Phearable. I know the CVT tune has reduced torque compared to your manual tune. I really like my current TSP CVT tune but find it much less responsive down low compared to an aggressively tweaked KTuner starter. It will be interesting to see if John was able to safely eek out any more low end oomph.

If the top ends are equal, but Phearable feels more snappy around town at low rpm, I'll be switching. I think I can safely speak for a lot of other TSP CVT users that an improved, more responsive low end is what we're looking for.

Last edited:

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
An update, although I can’t recall if I posted when I tuned the car in the first place. Man, having CRAFT Disease full-time sucks.

Vehicle: 2018 Touring Sedan CVT

Total tuned time: 10 months

Total tuned mileage: 9,000+ miles

Tuning device used: KTuner V1.2

Tune used: Stage 2 CVT Base tune, unmodified so far.

Fuel used: 91 Octane

Additional engine mods: none... stock except for the flash

Driving style: Daily driver and bursts of ludicrous speed when needed.

Tuning notes:
Tune is amazing, it beefs up throttle response and really reduces lag.
You do still have some off the line power delay but as the revs climb and boost builds, it wants to light up the tires at 20+ mph.
Daily driving is perfect.
Wide open throttle is very smooth and pushes you into the seat very nicely.
Mileage is better than with the factory tune.

alao01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex-L
Country flag
Vehicle: 2016 Civic EX-L sedan

Total tuned time: 10 months

Total tuned mileage: ~10k miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: Tsp Stage one

Fuel used: 91 Octane

Additional engine mods: PRL "street" cold air intake

Driving style: Occasional quick bursts few times a week, WOT maybe once or twice a week

Tuning experience notes: First time owning a turbo car let alone tuning it. Initially was turned off by the turbo lag as my brother owned one before me, then decided to try out Ktuner. Was shocked at first the difference it made from stock, but then switched over to TSP and haven't looked back. It definitely helped with power up top as well as the heavy vibrations at idle that bothered me. And to maintain the high mpg while off boost, I consider it a win over other turbo and v6 cars I was cross shopping this with.

Update: switched over to phearable today, so far seems smoother in power delivery as stated by others. also 100rpm increase in idle speed so even less vibrations. Power does seems a bit stronger mid-top range, down low seems similar but will have to keep testing, haven't calculated mpg yet.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
Vehicle- 2019 Civic Type R

Total tuned time- 2 months

Total tuned mileage- 1,000 miles

Tuning device used- Ktuner v2

Tunes used- Stage 1.1 basemap

Fuel used- 93

Additional engine mods- PRL HVI, Amsoil SS 0-20 oil, AC Delco modified synchromesh transmission fluid.

Problems/ issues - Traction below 3rd gear :)

Driving Style- Spirited

Tuning experience notes- Jailbroke ECU using friends flash pro so I didn’t have to send out my ecu to ktuner. Love the improved mid range power. Picks up very fast. Coming from a FBO si on TSP stage 2, I said I would never modify the CTR, but I got ktuner as a gift so I couldn’t pass it up. No regrets!

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pearl Black Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Sport Hatch CVT

Total Tune time: 4 months

Total Tune Milage: uhhhhh I don’t actually know

Tuning Device: KTUNER v1.2

Tunes Used: Ktuner Basemaps + Phearable non-si god mode

Fuel Used: 91

Additional Engine Mods: FKX racing downpipe, PRL Street Cobra CAI, stock Type R exhaust

Problems/issues: none so far

Driving Style: Spirited/econo lol

Tuning experience: seriously couldn’t imagine my car without it anymore. Stock v. Tune is night and day. Switched from Ktuner Base Map to phearable. It’s great I recommend, but maybe not god mode (I already wrote about why). Seriously, tuning should be the 2nd or third thing next to suspension and tires. Overall, love it, have has no problems as of yet and will probably stay like that.

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Type R

Total tuned time: 9 months

Total tuned mileage: 40,000 might be more haven't checked lately.

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: multi stage 1, stage 1, stage 1.1, and now stage 1 with downpipe

Fuel used: 93 shell, sunoco, exxon

Additional engine mods: K&N intake, fkx catless downpipe (intercooler in route been waiting)

Problems/issues: None so far

Driving style: highway cruising (but within 5mph of honda top speed numbers 4 times), mountains border line beat on.

Tuning experience notes: Was nervous doing the ecu unlock 2k miles into owning but its been nothing but fun since. Intercooler, fuel system, and that prl drop in coming next.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Update to previous info (key info underlined)

Vehicle: 2019 Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 18 months Ktuner base; 1 week TSP

Total tuned mileage: installed tune with around 2,000 miles (currently at 13,500 miles)

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner v1.2

Tunes used: Ktuner dual 19.5/21.5 tune; TSP stage 1 map 2

Fuel used: 93

Additional engine mods: 27won intake

Problems/issues: slight clutch slip appeared during the winter months. created a lower boost map based on the 19.5 map to prevent additional slip. now back to the 21.5 map with spring here.

Driving style: slightly aggressive w/ the occasional hard pull

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Always great to see Type R guys joining in and updates from people. Thanks for helping.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
An Important note to survey participants ...

We had hundreds of people post surveys back in 2019. Almost none have added a new post to update their tuned miles. This means that our tuned miles driven stats are way off (low).

Please add a simple new post here reflecting your current tuned miles and I will add it to our stats. Tuned miles driven is a key data point in terms of reliability.

Also if you switched from a base to custom or TSP to Phearable, a new post reflecting that helps a lot. And of course if any issues have cropped up, an update helps everyone.

Not trying to be a PITA, just trying to keep the survey as accurate as possible.

Thanks again for helping improve the survey.
Sponsored

Last edited: