The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Hatchback sport manual

Total tuned time: 8 months

Total tuned mileage: 23,000 KM (approximately)

Current mileage: 27,000 km

Tune used: KTuner V1.2 dual tune 15/21 psi, recently switched to 16.5 psi.

Additional engine mods: PRL silicone intake hose and AEM panel filter, Hasport 62A RMM

Problems/Issues: Clutch started slipping around 19,500 km

Fuel Used: 94 Octane first 8,000 km, 91 since then (local area doesn't have easily accessible 94)

Driving style: Lots of highway(700km/week) with relax in town driving. First 8000 km were a lot more spirited as I lived in a rural area with very few cops around.

Noticed the clutch slipping when under 3500 rpms in 3rd and higher. If I keep the revs over 3500 I can floor it on the 16.5 psi tune and it doesn't slip. Going to stage 0 tune to reduce wear on clutch until I buy an aftermarket one.
I know the tune adds a lot of low/mid range torque but it's pretty sad that this clutch doesn't hold much. Now looking at around 15-1700$ CA to do this job myself.
Love the Ktuner and the options it has(still on beta), I guess stock power will have to do until the clutch is upgraded.
Edit 26 Dec 2019: clutch got better for a while or i wasn't driving it as hard but I can't go over 75% throttle in 4-6th gear below 3500rpms. Saving money for a new clutch takes way too long to my taste but that's life.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Vic_L

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic SI Coupe

Left is my co-worker/ fellow member, right is mine

IMG_7351.JPG
I noticed the 2020 front bumper has "slits" where the "honecomb" fake vents used to be.
Just curious, do those "slit" cut-outs actually lead to anywhere, or are they just for looks?

I've been looking around the interwebs, but can't quite get an answer...so might try my luck with an actual 2020 Civic owner :p
(I can also just visit the local Honda dealership, but haven't been able to find any time on the weekend lately)

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I noticed the 2020 front bumper has "slits" where the "honecomb" fake vents used to be.
Just curious, do those "slit" cut-outs actually lead to anywhere, or are they just for looks?
2020 added Honda sense (?) package of driver aids like lkas, acc, automatic brakes, auto high beam. Maybe for sensors?

Vic_L

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
2020 added Honda sense (?) package of driver aids like lkas, acc, automatic brakes, auto high beam. Maybe for sensors?
Maybe...my 2018 Hatchback Sport has all the Honda Sensing features, and all had a completely flat spot on the driver side of the front honeycomb grille.
I had assumed that was where the sensors were, rather than the front passenger side.
(Not my picture, but a clear shot of what I am trying to point out)
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 6014007_03795_2018-honda-civic-hatchback_001

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe...my 2018 Hatchback Sport has all the Honda Sensing features, and all had a completely flat spot on the driver side of the front honeycomb grille.
I had assumed that was where the sensors were, rather than the front passenger side.
(Not my picture, but a clear shot of what I am trying to point out)
Ya, I'm just throwing guesses out lol

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully, I can clear this up. The driver's side "slit" is actually solid and the radar sensors are behind that panel.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 22C05D60-0F77-4407-B772-7DF33A3772CF

On the passenger side, that open "slit" is nothing more than the similar holes in the honeycomb from the older models. It's open for the horn.

Last edited:

Crab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, 2002 Accord EX-L, 2003 Dodge Dakota
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Si Coupe

Total tuned time: ~10 months

Total tuned mileage: 10,000+ miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: KTuner canned tune #1 factory/factory (valet) tune #2 19.5/21 tune #3 19.5/23 (for v6 camaros, rarely used)

Fuel used: Shell 93 exclusively

Additional engine mods: N/A

Problems/issues: Squeak from HPFP at around 5k miles. Mentioned on first oil change - non issue, but documented. Clutch slip around 6k miles (see forum post). Took it easy on the 4th gear rips for the next ~2k miles. Clutch is solid as can be now @ 16k miles.

Driving style: 90% above 80 MPH on interstate, 10% in 30-45 MPH small city roads. Once engine is fully warmed up, shift at 4k for every gear. She gets driven pretty hard from a stop & while dodging rocks from dumptrucks!

Tuning experience notes: First car worth tuning. Rather tech and computer savy. Have not adjusted any parameters in the actual tune, hope to experiment after car is paid off and is not DD anymore. As far as experience being tuned goes, its the best $300-700 you can spend on these cars imho! It's a whole different beast. I am reminded of what it is like to be stock at every oil change. I usually leave it stock for a week or so after an oil change. This is when I will update my KTuner V2, and update tunes. It also gives time for the engine to blow if they forgot the drain plug LOL!

Overall, a year and a half in, I love this car & look forward to getting in it every morning and afternoon.

Crab

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

She gets driven pretty hard from a stop & while dodging rocks from dumptrucks!

Tuning experience notes: I usually leave it stock for a week or so after an oil change. This is when I will update my KTuner V2, and update tunes. It also gives time for the engine to blow if they forgot the drain plug LOL!
Actually, I have the same dump trump scenario as you and the tune has saved my ass from bouncing rocks numerous times.

Great idea on leaving the car stock for a while after the dealer oil change! I'll be taking your advice from now on. :thumbsup:

GixxerMKD

First Name
Baze
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5 Hatchback Sport 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The code was valid up til at least two days ago. :(

As far as the blow off valve plate, definitely not something I'd do. But hey, I'm not you. ;) I drive my car for fun factor, not sound.

Last edited:

Drew36

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe

Total tuned time: 1 Year 10 Months

Total tuned mileage: 38,000 Miles

Current mileage: 42,000 Miles

Tune used: KTuner V1.2, Vit Stage 1 Tune, TSP Stage 1 Tune (Current)

Additional engine mods: PRL CAI, Muffler Delete

Problems/Issues: Clutch started slipping only under WOT sometimes at 40,000 Miles

Fuel Used: 93 Octane

Driving style: On average a couple WOT's per day, mostly used on highway for daily purposes, but occasional street races do occur

I have a Hasport 62a RMM and a FX350 with lightweight flywheel that will be going in the car soon.

THATSi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Country flag
With that mileage you drive your car a fair amount. I'm curious how long have you had the fx400 clutch? and would you recommend it? I'm considering it but I've heard people say it's not good for daily driving.
Maybe it's just me but dunno what everyone is complaining about, guess they skip going to the gym on legs day. It's about 30 pounds of pressure give or take. By the time the break in is done you're used to it.

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Si

Total tuned time: 20 months

Total tuned mileage: 18,000

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner 1.2

Tunes used: Vit Si Stage 1

Fuel used: 93 octane

Additional engine mods: PRL Cobra CAI, AFE Catted downpipe

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Slightly speedy with aggressive bursts from time to time.

Tuning experience notes: Car and tune has been super solid with out any issues.

Honda_RacerX

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag

Total tuned time: 19 months

Total tuned mileage: 24,000+ miles

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata

Tunes used: Hondata +6, +9, my own custom mapping

Additional engine mods: Mishimoto SRI

Clutch: Stock and never slipped

Problems/issues: none until very recently. Emissions issue coding for cylinder imbalances. Also gauge cluster going black and coming back on "piece by piece". Returning car to stock except the intake has made huge difference with gauge cluster (went from off and on 4 times a drive cycle of 30 minutes- to - has only happened twice in the past 2 weeks.... almost like it's recovering from something....).

It unfortunately hasn't helped the emissions code. Either my injectors are in early stages of failure, it needs plugs, cat is partially melted, 02 sensor damaged, or a combination of all the above. Haven't had it looked at yet.

Making the personal choice to never use a flash device on these cars again.

Hoping to get it fixed and trade for a '20 si coupe and planning to leave as stock as possible. Maybe an R.

Driving style: Slightly speedy with aggressive bursts from time to time.
From your observations with logs, does the mishimoto intake throw off the fuel trims on the completely factory tune?

KMui

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T CVT
Country flag
Vehicle: 2016 Civic EX-T sedan

Total tuned time: 18 months

Total tuned mileage: 10,000+ miles

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata Race

Tunes used: Hondata +6

Fuel used: Shell 93

Additional engine mods: Injen SRI

Problems/issues: Blown transmission after pushing too hard on 3.4.4 firmware from Hondata. Tune consisted of base +6, Increased throttle, turbo spooling, and traction control mods. When I first uploaded this tune, i had a “Emissions System Problem”. Thought it might go away after a few days but was still there after a week. One night after some spirited driving, I parked my car and suddenly the transmission was having severe issues connecting power from the engine, car was basically in limp mode. Was not able to get the car to move at all the next day. Luckily, my Honda dealer hooked me up and honored my warranty and replaced the transmission with no charge. Now currently running the previous +6 tune now with no traction control mods since I think this new tune w/ traction control (after the 3.4.4 firmware) is causing the Emissions Systems Problem code.

Driving style: Iron Foot, but now more conservative after the blown tranny issue.

Tuning experience notes: Only used base tunes and mods that Hondata offered through the UI.

@gtman may want your feedback here
Sponsored