The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
TSP Stage 1 was an improved Ktuner starter however, very freaking "jerky" on the cvt anyways imo. Phearable 1.5 Tune (funny enough I bought it because of you @gtman forum comparing the 2 tunes and I just went for it. Never looked back. I love the 15/20/24 psi map change as you brought up), so far, Im set on driving on map 2 daily. Phearable tune.. what can I say, its TSP stage 1 but jerky taken off and power is very smooth and linear.
Thanks for adding your carand thanks for the props on my Phearable vs TSP thread.

John Vega's tune is amazing. I mean we all know D-Rob is a 10th gen tune guru and the TSP 1 is super solid.

But the TSP CVT tune can be a little jerky at times. Where with Phearable - if you do get any jerkiness it's a total rarity. It's just butter smooth top to bottom 99.9% of the time. And even map 1 is very solid as a daily. Map 2 though is probably the perfect daily.

The Phearable 1.5R feels super CVT friendly/safe too. Yet at the same time it can move like a rocket if you need it. And like you mentioned the 15/20/24 setup is so good.
Sponsored

Last edited:

aegeanblu915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Vehicle: 2021 Civic EX hatchback

Total tuned time: 1 day

Tuned miles driven: 25 miles

Tuning device(s) ktuner v2 phearable 1.5r

Fuel used: 91 and 1.5 gallons of e85

Additional related mods: mishimoto SRI

Problems/issues: none I think?

Driving style: usually pretty calm. When I'm on a empty road I like to go a little fast. Like maybe hitting 90s. I got this tune yesterday and after flashing it I went to drive it around. Not sure but I dont feel really big improvements. I reflashed it to 1.5r was thinking maybe something went wrong but seems the same.

Didn't know how to change the stages on my civic but luckily gtman was able to explain and help me out. Now I know how to change stages at least. I might need to take it on a highway maybe I'll feel more improvements there.

I drive to work Monday to Friday about 20ish miles and on the weekends like to drive it around with some friends.

Tune experience notes: so far don't know what ro think. I believe I tuned it correctly but I'm not seeing alot of improvents as I thought I would.

Has there been any improvement in turbo lag and or acceleration at all?

Ron21

First Name
Rom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Honda Civic EX-T

Total tuned time: 1yr+ (I lost count lol)

Tuned miles driven: 30k-40k miles

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner 1.2v

Tunes used: Ktuner 21 psi, sometimes I play around 24 up to 27 psi on my own.
Early Spool Off at the moment for now.

Fuel used: 91 Octane from Shell, Chevron and 76. e85

Additional related mods: PRL silicone hose / Gold reflective and intake blanket.

Problems/issues: Condenser and/or compressor happen around 60k+miles

Driving style: tame sometimes. Always atleast WOT one time on each drive.

Tune experience notes:
I learn that too much boost could lead to heat soak. I did used Turbo Blanket but I returned it.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for adding the update on your car.

This has me a little concerned:

"Ktuner 21 psi, sometimes I play around 24 up to 27 psi on my own."

Ron21

First Name
Rom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Thanks for adding the update on your car.

This has me a little concerned:

"Ktuner 21 psi, sometimes I play around 24 up to 27 psi on my own."
i mean im just playing around with boost to see which is best for my needs. When I was experimenting with 27+psi I did got a code, i forgot what is called but it something to do with too much boost for the stock 2bar sensor.

edit: I have the Sedan, not the hatchback if that helps? Lol

alxgravel

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2017
Country flag
i mean im just playing around with boost to see which is best for my needs. When I was experimenting with 27+psi I did got a code, i forgot what is called but it something to do with too much boost for the stock 2bar sensor.
Dam I hope you have the money to rebuild the motor if something happens.

Ron21

First Name
Rom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Dam I hope you have the money to rebuild the motor if something happens.
Dont worry about it, im just mad because i learn it too late that CVT is not the best engine for mods but I enjoy using my car as guinea pig to see how far this CVT sedans can handle and learning more about tuning.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Take this for what it's worth. Back in the day on both Hondata and KTuner I also "fooled around" with my own homemade tunes. But I never was really comfortable with the reliability aspect of it. There's a lot more to creating a proper tune beyond upping boost. It's how much and where your change the boost, ignition and fueling changes too.

I don't recommend self tuning. You're far better off going with something like a TSP1 or Phearable 1.5R IMO. But if you know the potential is there for boom boom and you're ok with it (and can afford the rebuild), it's your car man.

Zombii Rubix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
Vehicle: 2021 Civic EX CVT K20C2

Total tuned time: 4 months

Total tuned mileage: 5500km

Tuning device(s) used: K-Tuner v2

Tunes used: K Tuner k20c2

Additional engine mods: None

Problems/issues:
None

Fuel Used. Costco premium

Driving style: fairly conservative on daily commute through Mostly backroads with occasional city driving.

Observations: Fantastic for that little bit of extra power on the foot and I've hardly noticed any difference with fuel economy.

Currently back to stock tune because I live in Vancouver area and gas has gotten outrageous this past week.

Last edited:

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for adding your car. It always impresses me when someone makes this thread the first place they post. Thanks for helping out.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Related mods installed on cars in the thread

No bolt ons added: 295 (28%)
Bolt ons added (not FBO): 538 (52%)
Cars with full bolt ons: 204 (20%)

Cold air intake installed: 455 (44%)
Short ram intake installed: 111 (11%)
Upgraded intercooler installed: 363 (34%)
Aftermarket downpipe installed: 344 (33%)
Aftermarket frontpipe installed: 232 (22%)

Aftermarket exhaust installed: 312 (30%)
Upgraded charge pipes: 129 (12%)
Upgraded RMM installed: 108 (10%)
Upgraded flywheel installed: 65 (6%)
Upgraded clutches installed: 135 (20%)

Upgraded CMC installed: 25 (2%)
Catch can installed: 56 (5%)
Oil or trans cooler installed: 25 (2%)
Upgraded radiator installed: 25 (2%)
Aftermarket BOV installed: 29 (3%) why????

Upgraded turbo inlet pipe: 118 (11%)
Turbo blanket installed: 28 (3%)
Upgraded turbo installed: 103 (10%)

Cars with fully built engines: 11 (1%)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks JR. I'm happy to do it. I just wish a higher percentage of tuned owners here would add their cars. In the past two weeks I've messaged about 20 people but only two added their car. I mean it's easy to do - use the template/format in the first post and fill in your info. Done.

Last edited:

Tamannu

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 1.5T CVT
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5T CVT

Time Tuned: 1 Year and 8 Months

Miles Tuned: 20,000

Tuning Device: K-Tuner V.2

Tunes Used: 18PSI Starter Map, 21PSI Starter Tune with custom mapping
- Target idle 700 at Engine temps 171-212 (Was stalling with no auxiliary and AC off)
- Custom MAF Scaling with Factory MAF Sensor
-Early Spool On
- Boost by Gear: 1st 18PSI w/ Ramp, 2nd W/ Ramp 19PSI, 3rd-6th 21PSI
- Improved Throttle and Spool 2 (Aggressive ramp with OTF 3 and Improved Ramp 2 with OTF 1 & 2)

Fuel Used: 93oct Shell

Additional Engine Mods: Injen Intake, PRL Innercooler, PRL charge and boost pipes, Cat back 2 and 1/2'' Exhaust

Additional Mods: D&C Tower Strut Bar, Skunk2Racing Sportline Lowering Springs, Eibach Rear Sway Bar

Uninstalled Mods: PRL Big Turbo Kit with Hight Flow Cat, K-tuner Flex Fuel Kit, 10mm Wheel Spacers

Problems:
- Stalling at idle (Solved with Target idle being set at 700RPM at Normal Engine Temp
- Over boost, current target boost is 21-23PSI and will hit 25PSI due to factory Diverter Value Spring being too weak to close at the right PSI (I Assume, I don't know for sure)
- Minor oil leak, due to track abuse (Solved after the car was hydro locked in a storm and had to have the head and valve cover gaskets replaced) The hydro lock could have been avoided by not having the PRL Cobra intake, I've had zero issues with water during hurricanes with the newer Injen intake.
- Jerky take off in sport, no issues with the CVT, no problems in take off in normal drive or ECO

Diving Style: Slightly spirited driving day to day when I feel like it, mostly from a roll in second gear. All long drives or harsh conditions driven in ECO like regular traffic drives. Drag and autocross driving, very aggressive frequent full throttle, only while racing on the track.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) IMG_0957
Sponsored

Last edited: