The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

XxTeexX

First Name
Tee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Hatch & 2018 Civic EX
Country flag
update

Vehicle: 2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT

Total tuned time: 1 year 5 months

Total tuned mileage: 22,000km

Tuning device(s) used:
Ktuner V2

Tunes used: Ktuner Starter 21, Phearable 1.5 Non SI (Still Using)

Fuel Used: 91 Shell/ 94 Petro

now using 93 Esso (using now for 6 months)

Additional engine mods: Stock

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Relaxed but need that power to pass slow drivers

Notes: Tune still feels amazing! I just upgraded the tires to continental extreme contact plus and the car finally can handle the acceleration
Sponsored

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the updates guys. :thumbsup: It's the only way for the reliability stats to be meaningful. I wish everyone added update posts.

Aoslo

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 5 months

Total tuned mileage: 15,000 miles

Tuning device(s) used:
Ktuner V1.2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1

Fuel Used: mainly 92 Costco, 93 shell, and a rare 91 when I can’t get to the other 2

Additional engine mods:
Stock

Driving style: 90% of time is on the first tune - conservative and the other 10% is spirited on stage 3

Notes:
Will be better an aftermarket air intake. Have the remark cutback exhaust.

Zedaine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Figure I'll post an update now that my car is back from the dead and all tuned on E30.

Vehicle: 2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback MT

Total tuned time: 47 Months

Tuned miles driven: 70,000+

Tuning device(s) used: I started with a Hondata CARB Flashpro, then Flashpro, and now currently use a KTuner V2.

Tunes used: Hondata +9 CARB, TSP Stage 1, Custom Drob IMW Tunes

Fuel used: 91 Octane from Shell, Sinclair, Costco, Chevron. E85 from Sinclair (Not a Sinclair Product)

Additional related mods: Entire 27Won Catalog (Intercooler, Downpipe, Frontpipe, Exhaust, W1 Turbo, Inlet Pipe, Race MM, Intake with Race MAF). Removed the MAP Oil Cooler because of constant small leaks from the core. Never caused a performance, or reliability issue, just a mess.
Engine ejected a rod at approx. 64,000 miles. Rebuilt with TSP Shortblock. JE Pistons, Brian Crower Rods, Boundary Oil Pump Gears, ARP Headstud kit from MAPerformance. Kept the stock head. PRL Flex Fuel Kit. Exedy Stage 1 Clutch and Lightweight Flywheel were installed around 24,000 miles and have continued to hold up since. Never had any issues with the OEM Clutch and Flywheel, just decided to upgrade to not tempt fate. Koyorad radiator.

Problems/issues: First 27won W1 turbo failed after only 4000miles after being custom tuned by IMW. 27Won replaced it right away and the replacement has been going strong since. Threw a rod at 64,000 miles running full bolt ons, upgraded W1 Turbo and custom tune from IMW. Now I am rebuilt thanks to TSP and up and running again running on Flex Fuel E30. Removed MAP Performance OIL Cooler because the core kept leaking. Looking for sandwich plate options so I can run pressure and temp sensors at least, but everything seems to be too big to fit where the filter goes.

Driving style: Conservative on the daily commute. On the weekends, or canyon driving I will push the car.

Tune experience notes: KTuner is definitely the way to go for the 1.5T platform. Tuning with Derek at IMW is always a pleasure. Car is over 70,000 miles now so we will see where we go from here. Haven't dynoed on the new tune and setup yet, but I imagine with E30 I am definitely 300WHP+. I plan to dyno sometime in October when the weather starts cooling down and will post another update then with charts.

bigf007dreams

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CBP Honda Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
UPDATE 4(with name drop)

AKUMA ć‚Şé­”
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 1.7 years

Tuned miles driven: 25k

Tuning device(s) used:
Ktuner V2

Tunes used: ; KTuner 19.5/23psi w/all aggressive quick adjustments
Bye bye rev hang, hello 2-step.
Fuel used: Strictly 93 with tune, factory gets 91.

Additional related mods:
27Won Hybrid CAI
Mishimoto: Intercooler w/charge pipes.
Rv6 Catted Ceramic Coated Downpipe/Frontpipe
Invidia r400 TriTipBurnt CatBack Exhaust
Boomba Racing Recirc Valve
SiriMoto Front Strut Bar V1
Hasports 62A Rear Motor Mount
BAA Red Front guard/Skid plate combo
Billetworkz Front License Plate delete: "Still Gunna Send It".
Caruse Aero Flap V2.5
H.I.C. USA: Rear Window Visor
Skunk2: Lowering Springs
Garageline: 20MM Front 25MM Rear spacers.
Acuity: Throttle Pedal
27Won: Leather Weighted Shifter
Konig: 18x8.5 Dekagrams wrapped in Toyo Extensas2 (235/40R/18s) some rub

Problems/issues: To be completely honest, i feel my clutch starting to slip. Hampton Roads Bridge Traffic isn't helping.
Trying to save up for the Rv6 RetroFit combo. Kinda nervous for the install.

Driving style: My butt-dyno feels around 255-265 fwhp and 265-275 fwtq. I haven't found a dyno near me but will update with the sheet when i do. Found a tuner 45 mins away from me, however with my clutch anxiety I'm going to wait for that special paper. (Adjusted numbers, ive been humbled on the road.) :banghead:

I'm an aggressive driver, not gunna lie to y'all. I almost never use 6th gear, and am always downshifting for more gap shooting power on the highway. The drone is gone! Still has a beautiful 4cyl purr but no more banshee driving(mebe sometimes). She feels like a Honda should. My favorite part about this car is putting her in sport and just mashing gears on an onramp.

Tune experience notes:
I have a feeling in the near future i'll be switching to Phearable, but this car isnt even halfway done. The basemaps available with Ktuner are fun and add a lot of versatility for honing your drive. I prefer the 19.5/23psi w/sport map the most. I enjoy the giddyup, and like i said gap shooting power.

Goals:
Stage 2. OTS Tune, Clutch, Short Shifter. Flex fuel? Aero Kit? IDKKKK

MISC:
I've done all the preventative maintenance on this car, and every aftermarket upgrade. Oil changes every 5k, along with CAII dusting, and cabin air filter. Its crazy how much I love this car.
I just did a transmission drain & fill at 72k. Fuel system cleaned. Removed all the sticker clutter, and vinyl wrapped the chrome. Added some aesthetic touches and more decals.
Getting ready for brakes, coolant flush and maybe good ceramic coat/wrap.

courrey

First Name
Correy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
Vehicle: 2021 Civic Sport Hatchback 6MT

Total tuned time: 18 Months

Tuned miles driven: 17,000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner v1

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5 non si

Fuel used: 91 octane with 1.5 gallons of e85

Additional related mods:
PRL CAI, Intercooler, Catless DP, Borla Catback Exhaust,

Problems/issues:
Motor started a loud ticking noise, pretty sure just need a valve adjustment

Driving style:
Spirited, and reckless

Tune experience notes: Planning on going custom etune after purchase of flex fuel kit

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Milestone: We've now passed the 16 million tuned mile mark. :thumbsup:

I really appreciate getting new update posts because it's the only way we can sort out and show accurate reliability info.

Over the past few months we've seen more failures than usual and I don't know yet if it's a fluke or a trend. That's why it's important to add a new update post from time to time. The overall catastrophic failure rate now sits at 2.9% versus the roughly 2.3% it was at not too long ago.

Last edited:

kadireren

First Name
kadir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T Hatchback Sport + CVT (182ps)
Country flag
update

Vehicle: 2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Plus CVT

Total tuned time: 1 year 9 months

Total tuned mileage: 30,000km

Tuning device(s) used:
Ktuner V1.2, Hondata (now)

Tunes used: Ktuner Starter 21, Hondata +6 psi (peak 21.80psi)

Fuel Used: 95 RON

Additional engine mods: Rev9 intercooler, MST cold air intake

Problems/issues: Had low rpm low load knock control increase problem with Ktuner, with hondata that problem is gone.

Driving style: Relaxed but need that power to pass slow drivers

Notes: Both Ktuner and Hondata are fantastic devices.

bay_hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update

Vehicle: 2020 Civic Hatchback Sport

Total tuned time: 2 years 2 months

Total tuned mileage: 15,000

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V1.2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1

Fuel Used: 91

Additional engine mods: Rev9 intercooler, PRL Cobra Intake, PRL V2 Catted Downpipe

Problems/issues: No issues

Driving style: relaxed but spirited on ramp highway pulls

Notes: kept on map 2 for daily driving

quakaroaks

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic HB Sp, 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic HB Sport 1.5T (6MT)

Total tuned time: 18 months

Total tuned mileage: 11000+ Miles. Current ODO @ 14500.

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1 for non-Si (Retired). Phearable 1.5 Non-Si (Current).

Fuel used: Mobil 93

Additional engine mods: 27WON CAI (Street)

Problems/issues: So far no clutch slippage though I kind of overthink at times and worry too much about it.

Driving style: Casual and chill. I only drive it hard when dealing with left lane hoggers causing traffic and having to make an aggressive pass.

Tuning experience notes: Have been driving on exclusively on Map 2. I really like phearable's torque band in high RPM. I noticed when driving with TSP tune, torque was lacking in the upper RPM range which prompted the switch to phearable. I recently upgraded to UHP A/s tires from the junk OEM Conti Procontact's where lack of grip got worse past 14k miles even though about 7/32" tread remains (good riddance). All in all, this car has been fun to drive.
UPDATE

Vehicle: 2018 Civic HB Sport 1.5T (6MT)

Total tuned time: 32 months

Total tuned mileage: 19000+ Miles. Current ODO @ 22850.

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1 for non-Si (Retired). Phearable 1.5 Non-Si (Retired). Phearable 1.5R Non-Si

Fuel used: Mobil 93

Additional engine mods: 27WON CAI (Street), 27WON FMIC, NAPerformance CTR Retrofit Clutch & PRL SS Clutch Line

Driving style: Casual and chill. I enjoy being on the road and enjoying the scenery. I only drive it hard when dealing with left lane hoggers causing traffic and having to make an aggressive pass.

Tuning experience notes: Upgraded tune to Phearable 1.5R. Initial impressions, I like the disable of artifical k. control rise. K. ctrl remained at 0.47-0.49. I didn't notice k. ctrl shooting up when revving it up at high rpm especially driving up a hill vs the regular phearable 1.5 tune. CTR Retrofit Clutch upgrade and the stainless steel clutch line significantly improved clutch feel resulting in less guess work with clutch engagement.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Major Failures in the thead (29)

1 car had a failed CVT (replaced under warranty).

1 car had a blown head gasket.

1 car blew a CVT pushing the car hard with an existing emissions problem.

1 car blew an engine running an E35/meth setup.

1 car blew an engine when the owner mistakenly used non-race gas with a tune designed specifically for race gas.

1 owner had major failures on a used car he purchased.

1 owner admitted he abused his car and destroyed his engine.

1 non-Si owner blew his engine on a Stage 2 Powermetric flex fuel tune w/full bolt ons.

1 owner had his CVT replaced under warranty (damaged by high power ethanol tune); the new CVT has been trouble free for 70,000+ tuned miles.

1 car threw a rod under "iffy" circumstances according to it's owner (possible abuse/user error).

1 owner destroyed his CVT after some track time in 100° weather.

1 car had a bent connecting rod but there were many factors (neglect) beyond the tune.

1 Si blew two OEM head gaskets (finally replaced with a better aftermarket gasket).

1 car bent a rod while doing WOT datalogging for a custom remote tune (had run meth for a short time as well).

1 car blew a CVT after serious neglect/abuse with numerous brake launches and burnouts.

1 Si blew a transmission running a high power flex fuel tune (full bolt ons).

1 car bent rods, had bearing material in the oil and CVT issues.

1 Si blew the head gasket and lifted the head after 14,000 aggressively driven tuned miles.

1 Type R had overheating issues; blew the head gasket and the top piston ring scored the cylinder wall; engine replaced.

1 car had a failed CVT running a base tune on a stock setup (likely factory defective; replaced under warranty).

1 car bent a rod after filling up with low octane gas (sold as high octane) in Egypt.

1 car bent a rod on a high output custom tune during a WOT pull.

1 car had a catastrophic engine failure when a tuner bumped up low end torque too far.

1 car (a 1.5T hatch) had an engine failure where octane booster possibly contributed.

1 more hatch blew an engine after adding too much octane booster to the tank.

1 Si blew a head gasket running a high power flex fuel tune.

1 custom tuned 2.0NA had a CVT failure.

1 Si failed when the engine seized up due to a likely oil pump failure.

1 Non-Si engine was damaged by pieces of a blown stock turbo.

Failure Notes

Only 3 cars have had major failures running no bolt-on setups.

1.5T Non-Si's in the thread have had the most major failures (13 engine; 6 CVT) and the highest failure rate (4.2%). It's important to note that 9 of the 13 Non-Si 1.5T engine failures (69%) occurred in hatchback models. The hatchback's weaker rods clearly skew the overall Non-Si failure rate stats.

Si's in the thread have had eight major failures (7 engine; 1 transmission) for a 1.9% failure rate.

Type R's currently have a 1.2% failure rate with one car having an engine failure.

2.0 NA's have a 3.3% failure rate with one major failure (a CVT).

Last edited:

curlichfc1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Update
Vehicle- 2017 civic si

Total tuned time roughly 2 years

Tuned mileage- 22,000, 50,500

Tuning device- ktuner v2

Tunes used- tsp1, tsp1+, pherable1.5r, tsp2, custom tune on ethanol stock turbo, custom tune on ethanol vargas turbo gc( imwtuning) would recommend a custom tune to anyone still not running one the difference is noticeable

Fuel used- shell 93 with e85 to make e30 blend before (fuel system hit a limit)

Mods- prl intercooler and charge pipes, prl cobra intake, prl flex fuel kit, prl high volume downpipe, awe track exhaust with there front pipe, comp stage 2 clutch and flywheel, vargas gc turbo upgrade.

Issues, stock clutch slipped on tsp1, flex sensor failed( electrical harness is known by prl to have issues with the kit they had sent me a replacement harness within 24 hours of the original harness failing)

Driving style- use to have spirited drives daily but now I try keeping abuse to minimum with the new turbo.

Tune experience notes- a lot of people are content with an ots tune or don’t want to spend the 500 on a custom tune, I went thru 4 ots tunes that were all great they do the job but then getting a custom tune the car felt like it just drove off the factory super smooth and customized to my liking, I hear a lot of people comparing tsp’s low end and pherables top end I have both the low end and top end

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Great update thanks. Definitely helps the community. :thumbsup: There's no doubt that no OTS tune can come close to a custom where everything is set up for your bolt ons and driving preferences.

Side note: You have the 100th upgraded turbo installed in the thread.

Last edited:

curlichfc1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Great update thanks. Definitely helps the community. :thumbsup: There's no doubt that no OTS tune can come close to a custom where everything is set up for your bolt ons and driving preferences.

Side note: You have the 100th upgraded turbo installed in the thread.
This turbo is awesome man it’s the best of everything gives power from 3500 to redline couldn’t have been happier, seeing Vargas’s experience I feel as if it’s a solid unit but time will tell I know there aren’t many besides another 2 people I know of running the turbo.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah everything I'm seeing of that turbo tells me it's a very high quality product. I'm impressed so far.
Sponsored