The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

cota

First Name
jaiden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 civic si coupe
bought at 28K miles, currently at 45k miles
34.8mpg - pre tune(17psi)
31.4mpg - after new sparks, reflash of tune(23psi), thinking of ways to improve it other than passive driving

Fuel: 93 Octane - Costco, Shell, Sunoco -

Driving Style: SPIRITED DRIVING! I wish I could track...

Installed Mods:
Ktuner V2
Injen Short Ram Intake - convertible to Cold Air with extra tubing I have -
Mishimoto Intercooler
Akebono Front Brake Rotors
Muffler delete... - will get an exhaust eventually -

Purchased but not installed Mods:
FK8 Stage 1 Exedy OEM Clutch
RV6 Retrofit Flywheel for FK8 Clutch Kits
Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs
Injen Cold Air Intake Tubing - summer time conversion -

Tuning Device: Ktuner V2

Tuning Information: Basemap tune - 23psi boost with improved launching and throttle response
Personal tuning adjustments
-Traction Control System's Ignition Pullback for more aggressive driving
-Lowered Fuel Cut Delay timing for less "rev hang"
-Adjusted MAF table values to correct STFT and LTFT after Injen Intake installation
-Throttle response on the most aggressive setting

Personal Concerns and/or Maintenence:
Engine Cooling - Ever since spring has came in recently, I have had to watch my coolant, IAT and IAT2 temperatures. I for the most part keep an eye on my coolant to make sure it doesn't exceed 200F because I feel uncomfortable for the car being at such a high temperature. If I idle the car long enough, or sit in traffic long, I do notice the ECT temps to reach around 210F which scares me even more. Often I will have my radiator fan run via A/C unit. I will then just watch the temp drop to around 170-185F. I do plan on flushing my coolant completely in a bit, maybe even getting a koyorad radiator in the future before I get a downpipe. Hopefully fresh coolant will make my car happy and cooler than it normally would.
Engine Oil - Full synthetic 0w-20. I change my oil every 5k miles. I do check it sometimes, probably at the 2.5k mark. Sometimes it already looks due at 4k mark. Oil changes do help a lot with performance and just how smooth the car runs in general. No concerns other than if I need to run a thicker oil for summer times or for frequently hitting boost.
Transmission - Flushing oem trans fluid soon for amsoil!!! No concerns other than not being able to downshift to 1st sometimes, and shifting into 3rd in general. I used to have 2nd gear grinds sometimes but it takes time to just not grind it.
Brakes - Full front sets swapped because warped rotors from excess heat - steep hills that even 2nd gear could barely engine brake enough, 1st gear too slow - Rear Brakes soon to swapped for aftermarket sets
Spark Plugs - Replaced them a couple days ago actually. I believe right before I hit 45k miles. It did make a bit of a difference. There was often misfire when on and off the throttle repeatedly. While watching my STFT, I would notice how much fuel would just be going into the engine while knowing the fuel wouldnt even be igniting. New sparks made a pretty big difference as far as throttle response and smoothing daily driving.
Intake Filter - Cleaned it today for the first time - had the intake on for about 10k miles, no problems other than fuel trims, fixed it with ktuner - With a clean intake filter, it did make driving a bit smoother too. More air allowed to reach the engine compared to before. It honestly wasn't even visibly dirty, but it helped, that's all that matters.
Tires - Still on oem set of tires. One actually replaced due to one of the tires fully ripping apart driving too underinflated... They are still in pretty good shape, I just wish there was more grip. Roads here in Jersey are pretty awful too.
Weather Concerns - Turbo thrives in the cold!!! There is a huge difference with colder weather. When night time hits, I always love just doing so pulls. I never really have driven in the snow, but these oem tires suck. I can't drive in the tiniest bit of ice in my driveway.
Sponsored

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the writeup.. Ideally we want folks to format things like it shows in the first post (helps with my stats keeping) but thanks for all your detail. :thumbsup:

You're also entered to win $200 at Phearable.

cvmomo1CTR

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR , 2018 Civic Sport , 06' E46 325ci , 12’ Ducati 848EVO
Country flag
What kind of power are you pushing now?
with a boost leak losing 8psi and fuel pressure issue from maxing hondata lpfp it still managed to make over 500whp and over 550wtq on 100octane race fuel.

issues have been fixed, just need to re hit the dyno to get accurate numbers. That was on. Dynocon Dyno at about 15% load for those curious.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update #1

Vehicle: 2017 Touring Coupe

Total tuned time: 6 months

Tuned miles driven: 9,857

Tuning device used: Ktuner V2

Tunes used: Ktuner OTS 21psi with all quick enables on.

Fuel used: Shell 93 almost always, other top tier once in a while.

Additional related mods: None

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Usually laid back. WOT a few times a week. WOT when someone wants to play.

haltamer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 (UK / RHD!)
Country flag
Personal Concerns and/or Maintenence:
Engine Cooling ...
You may want to see if the Ktuner supports cooling fan temperature settings if you're concerned.

On the OEM Rad I could get my FK8 to touch 212+ just with some light motorway pulls; I've fitted a Koyorad now and it's much better.

ChampWhiteBoy

First Name
J.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21Fk8, 68firebird, 67vette 427/390, 20’ RS3+more
Country flag
Vehicle: 2021 Civic Type R

Total tuned time: I drove it home from the dealer, 96miles and tuned it

Tuned miles driven: 10,201

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata

Tunes used: Hondata IMW aka Derek Robinson custom E tune, I used a base map for a little bit waiting for a window to open up for him to tune me

Fuel used: Whatever station is the closest and 93 exclusively

Additional related mods: PRL I/C, PRL catted DP, PRL race maf, PRL intake, PRL titanium inlet pipe
Non-Related: if you guys are having a hard time deciding wether or not to upgrade the shifter to an acuity or hybrid short throw, do it. I was on the fence about it because I’ve always like Honda’s trans and oem trans feel in general. I got an acuity, installed it as it came as far as gate and throw, and haven’t touched it or looked back since. Highly recommend.

Problems/issues: Not a single one besides wanting more power, always….

Driving style: Slow and steady for the most part. I open it up getting on the highway, so pulls 3-4-5 sometimes. Weekends I’ll run a few cars at the local meet.

Tune experience notes: Tune has been flawless, I have tuned many, many vehicles. D-Rob was probably the most thorough tuner I’ve had, major improvement over stock. Can’t wait to see what he can do on my MHI stage 2 turbo on flex, waiting on a few back ordered parts but looking forward to it.
The CTR is an incredible car, I have a 2020 rs3 as well and I prefer the civic over it. It’s just more engaging to drive, the seats are better, it’s more practical, my wife can’t drive it because it’s manual 😂, so it’s truly my car and my car only.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 8EBC6922-3043-40A0-BFA1-353B174F19C7

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 98B50324-8F68-4624-87CE-7857E32921A2

With_extra_salt

Threads
Reaction score
Website
daydreamersco.com
Vehicle(s)
Bagged 2020 Civic Ex Hatch
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Ex Hatch

Total tuned time: 0

Tuned miles driven: 0

Tuning device(s) used: None, would really like to get a tune tho...

Fuel used: 88 now and 93 when gas was cheap

Additional related mods: PRL CAI, PRL FMIC, ETL Trans Cooler

Driving style: I have a heavy foot and go fast often going 20+ over the speed limit and outbursts of absolute flooring it lol

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) IMG_3422
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) IMG_3483

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
With_extra_salt ... seriously?

Note: This thread is for tuned cars only.

A couple thread milestones. We now have over 15 million tuned miles driven and 800+ owners have used KTuner for tuning.

kyle11119

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX 2018, Honda Civic Si 2020
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 2 Months

Tuned miles driven: 3000 Miles

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata base map +6 psi, options with no lift shift, launch control, and throttle sensitivity at 1.

Fuel used: 93 Octane from Shell

Additional related mods: 27Won Intake, Mishimoto FMIC, Ark Exhaust.

Purchased but not installed Mods: ACT clutch, rv6 catted downpipe.

Problems/issues: Clutch was slipping when stock and now slipping even worse with the tune. 1st and 2nd gear crunch but removed after trans-fluid change.

Driving style: Once in a while go on small spurts of spirited driving, 2-3 gear pulls also once in a while when im feeling it. 2nd gear quick pull for the turbo noise also once in a while, other than that the driving is pretty calm.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) FC350A81-81B7-4AD3-A9B1-6615F411B11A

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) AB5FB182-3BB2-475D-9A53-92D18F7B9447

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 097487E3-DBAA-42B0-9167-CBABB8C3BA94.JPEG

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for adding your car and the pics ... it looks great.

You got us to another milestone. You're the 500th person using 93 octane.

Los1391

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP Si Sedan
Country flag
UPDATE #2 5/24/2022

Total tuned time:
6 months
Tuned miles driven: ~ 5600 miles
Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2
Tunes used: Phearable Stage 1.5
Fuel used: 93 (Citgo/Gulf/BP/Mobil/Shell/Sunoco/Fuelco)
Additional related mods: PRL Short Ram Intake (Street MAF) / PRL HV DP
Problems/issues: See below (nothing serious I think?)
Driving style: Casual with aggressive bursts from time to time.

Tuning experience notes: So for the 6 months that the car has been tuned I haven't had any issues whatsoever. This car has been as reliable as the first day I purchased it. Gas consumption has been around 30-31mpg which is still great.
However, after installing the PRL HV DP my gas consumption has changed to 34mpg (why, I don't know but I'm not complaining haha).
I'm wondering if our stock DP was that restrictive that it could cause our MPG's to even be affected.
I can definitely hear the turbo spool a lil sooner as well as it being a bit quicker than before (maybe it's all in my head since I haven't driven it that much after the install).

Now onto the problem/issue;
When installing the DP my buddy noticed there's a leak/sweat coming from the valve cover and he suggested me to either see if the dealer will replace it and if not for me to buy the gasket and he'll do it for me.
Does it affect the car at all, not that I know of?
Is it because the car's tuned, I'm not sure?

Thats it for update #2 for me.
I will be updating again in a week or 2(hopefully) once I get the ruthenium plugs and perrin rmm insert installed on the car. 🤟

borcth

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Contributing my experience and chance to win that $200! Thanks gtman!

Vehicle: 2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe

Total tuned time: 10 Months

Tuned miles driven: ~4,000 Miles

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner v2

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5

Fuel used: 7-11 93 Octane (Exclusively)

Additional related mods: Mishimoto Intake, PRL Intercooler w/Charge Pipes, Full Race Exhaust

Problems/issues: None, Always a beautiful .48 k.cont

Driving style: Old Lady 90% of time with the occasional spirited pull in 3rd.

Tune experience notes: I baby my car. Especially with gas prices right now. I've been doing a lot of hypermiling. I only do the occasional hard pull in 3rd gear after 3k rpm. Rarely WOT. I'll ramp up the rpms gradually. Never bounce of limiter. Never lug the engine. Never just mash the pedal. Stay under boost in 5th and 6th gear. Maaaybe 1-3 psi tops for a moment once in a blue moon if I'm cruising. But I will always make the attempt to downshift to 4th to pass. No launching from a dig. No dumping the clutch. I don't race, ever. Speeding ticket free for 15+ years and I'd like to keep going. I bought this car for me. Not to prove a point to others or show off. No clutch slippage. I don't rag on my car. It's my only vehicle and I'm taking care of it best I can while enjoying it when I can. I just try to be smart.
I ran map 1 for about a month, then went to map 2 and have been there since. Sweet spot for me. It's plenty for me to have fun with while keeping things safe.

I was very nervous tuning. But once I did I fell in love with it. This thread really helped me make my decision. I've had experience with phearable before with my 2000 Honda Prelude about 15 years ago. So I was comfortable trying their tune. The removal of rev-hang was a godsent. If you guys think it's bad in the Si, it was worse in my CR-Z I had prior. The rev-hang in the CR-Z was atrocious. Anyway, the rev-hang was the primary reason I did the tune. Everything else has be an awesome bonus. Car came alive for sure. As other people say. This is how the car should have came stock. It was awesome jumping from from CRZ to the Si, but after a few months, I felt it was missing something. The tune helped most of what was missing.

I have the most fun with this car taking windy roads and curves and accelerate around the apex with no one around. Feels awesome. That's where I feel this car shines. I'm not a straight line guy. There's always going to be a faster car no matter how much power I have. So I enjoy the car for what it is and it has plenty of power for me and for what I use it for.

Anyway, that's my tuning experience. Hope it helps people!

Last edited:

cota

First Name
jaiden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
You may want to see if the Ktuner supports cooling fan temperature settings if you're concerned.

On the OEM Rad I could get my FK8 to touch 212+ just with some light motorway pulls; I've fitted a Koyorad now and it's much better.
i did lower the minimal temp for the fans to turn on. i just forgot to mention that. how well would you say the koyorad radiator helps in comparison to oem?

Kento.fk7

First Name
Kenton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic hatchback
Vehicle: 2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan

Total Tuned Time: 3.5years

Total Tuned Mileage: 60k

Tuning Device: Ktuner v1.2

Tunes used: Current phearable/tsp

Additional Mods:
  • 27won dp+fp
  • 27won turbo inlet
  • 27won strut bar
  • GReddy SP Supreme
  • PRL CAI Race MAF
  • PRL FMIC
  • Acuity full adj. short shifter combo
  • Ktuner
  • EIBACH pro-kit performance springs
  • 2x SPC rear adj. control arm

New Color scheme phase 2

• Black chrome emblems
  • Caruse Designs Aero
  • Greddy lip FRP
  • Enkei RPF1 18x9.5 +38 silver
  • Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 255/35r18
  • Honda Accord cap (part # 44732-S9A-AOO)
  • Muteki SR45R Lug Nut Kit with Locks
  • 27won Master cylinder brake brace

Problems/Issues: None

9097C5E8-7219-4A58-A275-CAA84FC80CAB.jpeg
How’s the drone with the 27 won dp/fp with greddy supreme

revenant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update:

Vehicle: 2018 Civic SI Sedan

Total tuned time: 36 months

Tuned miles driven: 18,000+mi

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5R (current), TSP Stage 1+, Phearable 1.5, TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: Mobil 93

Additional related mods:
-
27Won CAI Street MAF/ Eman's clutch (@13050mi)
- 27Won FMIC
- Replaced stock tires with Continental DWS06+
- HFP Suspension

Driving style: Casual with occasional bursts. 50/50 Highway and Local

Tuning experience notes:
-
Changed to Eman's clutch at 13050mi. Stock clutch still in great condition (13000mi tuned).
- Changed tires to Continental DWS06+
- Driven on Map 3 since going to Phearable 1.5 K.Con stable at .49. Slight fluctuations depending on uphills.
- Avg 40 MPG on highway driven casually.

Phearable 1.5R - 6900+mi
TSP Stage 1+ - 500mi
Pherable 1.5 - 1600mi
TSP Stage 1 - 8900mi

Non-tune related note: Did end up replacing the condenser last week due to AC blowing hot air. Went the DIY path since I did not want to leave the car in the shop. This is after 3 years of ownership of the vehicle.
Sponsored