The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

MrJustin81

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019Civic Type R

Total tuned time: 2 yrs

Tuned miles driven: 20k miles on stock motor / 2k miles on fully built motor

Tuning device(s) used:
Hondata

Tunes used: Hondata OTS , then Redstar custom tunes

Fuel used: Shell 93 Vpower only or Sunoco 100 octane , VP Ms109

Additional related mods: Too many to list , but FBO on fully built motor (short block by 4pistons, race ported head by JSRengines w/ Ferrea competition package , running Mhi turbo

Problems/issues:
Stock Motor we pushed limit and exposed oem Valve Springs could not handle higher rpm, valve floated at 7800rpm … keep it to 7200rpm and should be fine…

Stock Motor handles great power as long as you keep rpms down and torque numbers low

Driving style: Summer
Car only, take it on long road trips so has to be very reliable.. also try to hit the track at least once a month and hit some autocross events as well.

Tune experience notes:
Overall the Type R feels like a completely different animal from stock… but with stock motor around low 400whp it felt super fun for a daily driver… It now is a great powerful fun mini rocket.. not the fastest but definitely an all around fun car to drive and surprise some folks with more power and tq.
What kind of power are you pushing now?
Sponsored

ChefRyeSi

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan / 04’ CRV EX 5MT
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 18 months

Tuned miles driven: 12,000+

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V2

Tunes used: Base maps, then to TSP 1, now TSP 1+

Fuel used: 93 only

Additional related mods: PRL Cobra Intake Race MAF, PRL Intercooler w/ Piping, PRL Turbo Inlet, Invidia R400

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Pretty tame unless someone (rarley) tries me then we swerve traffic. Always shift before 3k RPM.

Tune experience notes: Fantastic experience thus far. KTuner is a must have if not a first upgrade to buy. Tuning is very easy with KTuner and is really the only pick (NO HONDATA) for L15Bx motors. For any new people in the community, don't beat on these Si's, change oil every 3-4k miles and if you hammer it, wait until after 3k to do so and you'll be fine. Buy good parts from better companies (like PRL) and the car will last.

Joelgold

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB Sport
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 18 months

Tuned miles driven: 12,000+

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V2

Tunes used: Base maps, then to TSP 1, now TSP 1+

Fuel used: 93 only

Additional related mods: PRL Cobra Intake Race MAF, PRL Intercooler w/ Piping, PRL Turbo Inlet, Invidia R400

Driving style: Pretty tame unless someone (rarley) tries me then we swerve traffic. Always shift before 3k RPM.

Tune experience notes: Fantastic experience thus far. KTuner is a must have if not a first upgrade to buy. Tuning is very easy with KTuner and is really the only pick (NO HONDATA) for L15Bx motors. For any new people in the community, don't beat on these Si's, change oil every 3-4k miles and if you hammer it, wait until after 3k to do so and you'll be fine. Buy good parts from better companies (like PRL) and the car will last.
Any reason you shift before 3k rpm’s?

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

UnknownNate

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Update #3

Vehicle
: 2017 Civic EX Hatchback

Total tuned time: 6 months, 2 days

Tuned miles driven: 82174 (~5,150 total)

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner v1.2

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5

Fuel used: Shell 93

Additional related mods: No intake resonator

Problems/issues: Whirring noise before confirmed to just be the CVT being a little noisy. Absolutely 0 issues with the car!

Driving style: Definitely a lot more calm than previously. I've been trying to save a little money where I can to invest in my business + save for new car parts lol

Tuning experience notes: I struggled a lot when first installing it, but after the initial hiccups I've had 0 issues. It's like the car is 100% stock, just with the tune that Honda should've released the car with.
Update #4

Vehicle
: 2017 Civic EX Hatchback

Total tuned time: 6 months, 29 days

Tuned miles driven: 82684 (~5,660 total)

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner v1.2

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5

Fuel used: Shell 93

Additional related mods: No intake resonator

Problems/issues: Absolutely 0 issues in terms of the tune. I think my AC is dying though, last few drives its been super hot even after over 45 minutes of driving.

Driving style: Definitely a lot more calm than previously, been trying to save a little money wherever I can

Tuning experience notes: Struggled a little when installing, but other than that it has been super reliable w/out any issues.

ChefRyeSi

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan / 04’ CRV EX 5MT
Country flag
Any reason you shift before 3k rpm’s?
in addition to what 86Salmon said, mainly me being conscious of he motors health and not revving the piss out of it

Schwinn499

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Vehicle: 2021 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT

Total tuned time: 14 days

Tuned miles driven: Around 300

Tuning device used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: Phearable's 1.5R tune

Fuel used: 91 with 3 gallons of 100 octane per fill (lately 76 as this is where the race gas is available near me) Really interested in learning more about how some people with only 91 available add some e85 to their fills. Is this safe long term? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Additional related mods: Borla S-Type cat back exaust (related?)

Driving style: Driving style depends on my mood. I range from slow lane grandpa style to high speed and all out WOT bursts. Cruising around town on the streets to carving up the Angeles Crest. All over the spectrum.

Tune experience notes: I have had a wonderful experience so far with the tune. Completely changed the car, much more responsive and pulls much more than the factory tune. I'm interested in trying out the Ktuner tunes to be able to relate to everything I have read about the different tunes but have yet to do so. I appreciate this thread and this community for all the detailed information that has been gathered and is available with the click on a button.

Last edited:

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
*update

Vehicle: 2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan

Total Tuned Time: 10 months

Total Tuned Mileage: 10k miles +

Tuning Device: Ktuner v1.2

Tunes used: 19.5 Normal/21.5 Sport (ots)

Additional Mods: PRL street intake, stage 1 Exedy Clutch (stock dmf), Borla catback, Whiteline rsb, Mishimoto fmic, Stoptech slotted rotors & street pads.

Problems/Issues: None whatsoever - I definitely prefer Ktuner OTS tunes vs. Hondata.

Velonici

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatchback, 2004 Toyota 4Runner
Country flag
*Update
Vehicle: 2021 EX Hatchback

Total tuned time: 5ish months.

Tuned miles driven: 3650 (10k on the odo)

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner 1.2.

Tunes used: Phearable none R tune. :(

Fuel used: Pretty much just QT 91.

Additional related mods: Just some cosmetic things.

Problems/issues: I hate the fact that the car accelerates so fast on the on ramps that I dont get to enjoy it much before I have to lay of the gas.

Driving style: I dont beat the snot out of it, but there is a reason I went with a civic and not a corolla.

Tune experience notes: Havent had to touch it since tuning it. Went to map 3 and havent really changed it (other than when the GF borrows it since she has a lead foot). Summer has started and Ive really seen my Kcount go up. Hit 1+ a few times and took a long time to drop back down.

racerguy180

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Acura Integra GS-R 2001 Acura Integra GS 2014 Acura MDX Advance
Country flag
Vehicle : 2020 PWP Si
Total Tuned Time : since last night
Total Tuned Miles : 20mi
Tuning Device : Flashpro Carb
Tunes used : +6carb
Fuel Used : 76 91, gonna throw in some 100 just to see.
Mods : just flashpro
Problems : none
Driving Style : aggressive & late apex everything
Tuning experiences : love the response & sensitivity changes, full Throttle feels great and STARTING IN SPORT MODE IS A FREAKIN GODSEND!
Update

Total Tuned time: 10mo.
Total Tuned Miles: 8000ish

Still love it but changed throttle response to 3.

Los1391

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP Si Sedan
Country flag
Having the following installed tomorrow so will be updating soon after I get it back and go for a drive!
PRL HV DP
Ruthenium Spark Plugs
Perrin RMM Insert (not performance but should definitely help with any wheel hop and sloppy shifting/throttle response)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
A couple thread notes.

It's great to see that the $200 gift certificate is getting us a good amount of updates. On the flip side, my hope was it would get us a ton of new tuned cars added, but so far, not so much.

We now have 800 owners who are currently using or have used a KTuner.

We just need 25 tuned cars added to hit 1,000 total.

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Final update for me : )

Previous update with links to all other updates

Vehicle: 2020 Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 14+ months

Tuned miles driven: 18,500

Current (final) mileage: 21,800

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: Phearable Stage 1.5, 1.5R

Fuel used: Strictly costco 93

Additional related mods: PRL: CAI, FMIC, CP, SS clutch line. Comp 22lb clutch kit

Problems/issues: Lifted the head, blew the head gasket, killed the clutch and blew 3rd. All fixed with: ARP head studs, Cometic head gasket, Comp 22lb clutch kit, used trans.

Driving style: Rowdy enough to kill the clutch in 15k miles, and blow 3rd somehow.

Tuning experience notes: The tunes woke the car up big time. Sold the car today and flashed to stock for the drive up to where i met the buyer. Car felt like zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz compared to how i had it yesterday full bolt on with 1.5R. Good tunes, slightly less good car. Also the oem all seasons are complete ass. Took a turn at 40 like i normally do w my ps4s's and screeched the whole way through. gen5 camaro coming soon tho i'm already over the Si.

Zedaine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Almost at the finish line!

Just waiting for a pigtail connector to arrive via the mail since the rod took out the original crank position sensor and wire connector. Local Honda dealership didn’t have any and wanted to sell me an entire wire engine wire harness instead even those have been back ordered since February and still aren’t available.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 6D0E6017-2A48-47E2-9D02-B823E74C6969

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 3742CFF1-C545-44BD-9C67-2C3689EBE2BC

Last edited: